Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Questions about a Edirol UA-5 > a Tascam DR-07  (Read 2748 times)

Offline deadahead93

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Archive.org
Questions about a Edirol UA-5 > a Tascam DR-07
« on: July 29, 2009, 05:15:30 PM »
Hi everyone! Hoping that I am posting this in the correct Forum...  ???

Well, I am in the process of creating/upgrading my Open Recording setup and I have run across an Edirol UA-5 for my pre. Even though it seems very popular here, I'm not too familiar with running it...

1. Do I need some kind of special mod for it to work with the Tascam DR-07?

The reason I ask is because there is no digital IN on the Tascam. Will this hinder my use of the combo?

2. If I'm not using the digi out, what cable option would I use for the Output to Input in this situation?

3. Also, from what I can see, there are no XLR inputs for my Mics. Would I have to use XLR > 1/4 cables for this to work?

4. If there is no power source included to run the Edirol UA-5, what do I need to run it in the field, how much does it cost, and where do I find it? 

5. Should I decide to go with another PRE? The only other one I had in mind is the new "Littlebox" that is getting a lot of Hype as of now...

Sorry for being such a noob to the PRE world, but I'm breaking out of my stealth mode and any advice will help! Thanks in advance...  ;D

~Heath

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22HClayton%22

Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.
 ~ Jerry Garcia

Mics: AKG  C480B / (CK61, CK63)
Cables: GAKables
Preamp: Naiant Biggest Box
Recorder: Tascam DR-07

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I LIKE FISHIN
Re: Questions about a Edirol UA-5 > a Tascam DR-07
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 08:04:35 PM »
check the Microtrack II b/c it has digital input. probably a better option for that preamp.

Offline deadahead93

• Taperssection Member
    • Archive.org
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 08:34:47 PM »
Thanks for the input NOLAfishwater ... Unfortunately for this situation, I already own the DR-07. I really like the unit and have recorded a good handful of shows with it.

The set up was my DR-07 with Core Sound Binaurals lofted on a stand or clamp, with a Sound Professional's Mount. I'm am basically turning my old stealth rig into an open rig piece by piece... The first new piece I bought was my DR-07. Now onto the PRE.

Sorry for the confusion.
So all in all, the Edirol UA-5 is on the table, and just wondering if my previous questions hold any value?

Thanks again.

~ Jerry Garcia

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 11:12:49 PM »
if you are sticking with the tascam, i would get a different pre...

Sound devices' mixpre (or older mp-2) and the shure fp24 are all very similar and would be a good bridge to your stealth to open set up...
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 01:07:46 AM »
The first question that comes to mind:  if your stealth gear works fine for stealth, won't it work fine for open recording, too?  You might need a microphone cable extension so you may separate your battery box or preamp far enough from the mics to run on a stand, but other than that...won't your stealth gear work fine for open recording, too?

I wouldn't sweat a preamp change until / unless you change mics and/or you don't have enough gain with your current gear.  $0.02
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline tedyun

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 01:11:01 AM »
The issue with the UA-5 > DR-07 is that you have to go analog out of the UA-5, and there is no analog pass through, ie., it goes mics > A/D conversion > D/A conversion > DR-07 > A/D conversion. Purists would argue that in theory, the extra D/A > A/D step degrades the sound.

I would definitely check out the littlebox. It does everything you need it to do, without the added bulk of the UA-5 and battery (you need an external battery to power it, for example a DVD battery). The littlebox vs V3 comp was stunning to say the least.

Also, I believe BJ has a Wendt for sale for $250 in the Yard Sale.

Hi everyone! Hoping that I am posting this in the correct Forum...  ???

Well, I am in the process of creating/upgrading my Open Recording setup and I have run across an Edirol UA-5 for my pre. Even though it seems very popular here, I'm not too familiar with running it...

1. Do I need some kind of special mod for it to work with the Tascam DR-07?

The reason I ask is because there is no digital IN on the Tascam. Will this hinder my use of the combo?

2. If I'm not using the digi out, what cable option would I use for the Output to Input in this situation?

3. Also, from what I can see, there are no XLR inputs for my Mics. Would I have to use XLR > 1/4 cables for this to work?

4. If there is no power source included to run the Edirol UA-5, what do I need to run it in the field, how much does it cost, and where do I find it? 

5. Should I decide to go with another PRE? The only other one I had in mind is the new "Littlebox" that is getting a lot of Hype as of now...

Sorry for being such a noob to the PRE world, but I'm breaking out of my stealth mode and any advice will help! Thanks in advance...  ;D

~Heath

Mics: B&K 4011, Schoeps MK5 (Nbobs, Naiant PFA), Busman BSC-1 (K11/K21/K31/K41 caps), Church CA-14 (o, c), Church CAFS, Core Sound Binaurals
Pre: EAA PSP-2,  Lunatec V3, Nbox-Platinum, Church CA-9200
ADC: Mytek 192 ADC, Oade Mod SBM-1
Rec: Oade Supermod PMD-661, Tascam DR60D, M-Audio MicroTrack II, Korg MR-1 (32GB SSD mod); Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R09HR; iRiver HP-120
Photo: Canon 5D3, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8, Canon EF 35mm f1.4L Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L MkI, Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkI, Canon EF 50 mm f1.4, Canon EF 50 f1.2L, Canon EF 300 f/4L IS, Canon EF 100-400 f4-5.6L IS MkI
Video: Canon HF100

Offline deadahead93

• Taperssection Member
    • Archive.org
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 01:51:32 PM »
Thank you guys so much for your responses... They are all very helpful!

To answer Brian's questions.... I'm just in the mood for an upgrade. I have run my stealth gear "Open" for years. Almost as much as I have stealth...  ;) So, now that I have the DR-07, I pulled the trigger on some Superlux SMK-H8K mics. Got them from "raoulduke's" sale in the YS. They should be here soon, hence why I'm shopping for a Pre. I don't have a huge budget, but I will eventually have a stealth rig and open rig  ;D

Any other suggestions Welcome! Still leaning towards "LittleBox". BJ's Wendt looks tempting though...
Thanks again.
~Heath

~ Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com