Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DIY cable beginner questions  (Read 7169 times)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
DIY cable beginner questions
« on: June 05, 2017, 11:16:41 PM »
I want to try making my own cables...not because I think I can do better than guys on here, but just because I want to give it a try.  I'm thinking I'll start with some basic mini-to-mini extension cables and interconnects, and maybe some RCA interconnects as well.  That said, I have some questions:

1. Is this cable good for those uses: http://www.canare.com/ProductItemDisplay.aspx?productItemID=59 ?  I generally don't like my cables to be more heavy/unwieldy than necessary.

2. How necessary is techflex?

3. I've seen people recommending Neutrik connectors, but I can't find any mini female connectors on the Neutrik site.  What are some other good brands of connectors?

Thanks
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
Re: DIY cable beginner questions
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 04:43:15 AM »
1) stay away from foil shield, go,with braided.  Braided stands up better to abuse.

2.) tech flex is extra protection and used to snake cables, not needed necessarily

3.) get your parts from markertek, free shipping, no minimum
https://www.markertek.com/?gclid=CM6dv9HpqNQCFRJYDQodlT0HXg
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: DIY cable beginner questions
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 10:56:13 AM »
Also you might want to start with the RCAs to hone your skill and comfort level with the soldering iron before you try to tackle the 1/8th inch TRS. They are very small and much more difficult to do correctly than a straight forward RCA. In fact, when you order connectors get a few of the cheapest ones you can and practice with them before you make a set with the nicer plugs you're planning to tape with. And consider using silver solder. That's a topic I don't see talked about too often, but I personally prefer it. You don't need to go for the super expensive Cardas stuff, Home Depot sells lead free silver for around $20 a spool. Silver has a wide range melt point so you don't have to be super precise with the temp of the iron for a good bond. This trait is helpful if you are using a hobby solder iron that doesn't have a digital temp display. Don't forget that you need to heat the wire and termination enough to melt the solder, don't use the tip of the iron directly or you'll end up with something called a "cold" solder joint where the solder itself is passing current between the contacts instead of bonding them together. Have fun and be careful, even after doing this for longer than I can remember, it's still easy to grab something before it cools off enough...ouch!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 11:00:27 AM by DATBRAD »
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com