Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Holy Cow!! My UA-5 actually works  (Read 3247 times)

Offline mmadd29

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've stopped drinking, but only while I'm asleep
Holy Cow!! My UA-5 actually works
« on: April 26, 2007, 06:40:23 PM »
I just got a UA-5 and did a digi mod myself...I took R8 and crushed it with a pair of needle nose pliers, made sure there was no continuity, then but the jumper in....set it all ups and cranked the stereo....LEVELS GALORE!!!!

Not bad for the first crack at it.....
Superlux CM-H8K > UA5 > iriver h120 > Wave Labs > EAC

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: Holy Cow!! My UA-5 actually works
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 11:02:02 AM »
Good for you! +T for the DIY mod.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 11:20:35 AM »
+T for a fellow DIY'er
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline mmadd29

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 11:34:13 AM »
Thanks all....now it's time for a power pack...I was smart enough to drill into my head that the UA-5 is NEGATIVE tipped....learned the hard way on other equipment ::)

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 11:41:09 AM »
dont worry.  Unlike some things, If you plug in something reverse polarity on a UA-5 it wont fry it.  It just wont power up until you plug it in the right way.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 09:40:56 AM »
Good job on the mod.  It's always a little scary cutting and soldering your new baby.  I bought mine that someone else had already done.

Get one of these for the power supply.  I believe this is what everyone calls "The Wallmart Battery".  They run about $30 plus shipping in ebay.  Just swap the wires on the cable if nec.  Make sure you get one whichis 9V, not 7.2 or 12.

They seem to come in a couple varieties... for instance, a 5400mah Lion battery, and a 4500mah NiMH.  I have one of each.  I think the 5400 Lion is better, but they cost a bit more.  I have run a UA-5 at a festival for 10-12 hours on the Lion battery, and 8-10 hours on the NiMH.  I don't know how much longer they will last... that was the end of the day.  Bottom line, you probably don't need 2... they will last all day.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 09:47:19 AM by SmokinJoe »
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline mmadd29

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 11:59:34 AM »
Good job on the mod.  It's always a little scary cutting and soldering your new baby.  I bought mine that someone else had already done.

Get one of these for the power supply.  I believe this is what everyone calls "The Wallmart Battery".  They run about $30 plus shipping in ebay.  Just swap the wires on the cable if nec.  Make sure you get one whichis 9V, not 7.2 or 12.

They seem to come in a couple varieties... for instance, a 5400mah Lion battery, and a 4500mah NiMH.  I have one of each.  I think the 5400 Lion is better, but they cost a bit more.  I have run a UA-5 at a festival for 10-12 hours on the Lion battery, and 8-10 hours on the NiMH.  I don't know how much longer they will last... that was the end of the day.  Bottom line, you probably don't need 2... they will last all day.

I'm going to get on of these tonight....my cable works great, with the 2A inline fuse.........

My problem is that I'm not scared to open up a piece of equipment and try a mod....providing I have clear instructions, which could lead to problems.....actually this hobby have brought my rusty soldering, and electronics skills back up somewhat.......

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com