Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New to the forum  (Read 3452 times)

Offline Rally555

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
New to the forum
« on: September 07, 2017, 06:07:03 PM »
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and very excited to be a part of it.  My name is Jesse Anderson a recording engineer in San Antonio, TX.  I've been recording for Trinity University's Jazz and Wind Ensemble for 17 years now.  I only record in two track to get the blast.  My recording equipment includes several Nagra IV S' with the QGB adaptor and my digit backup is Sound Devices 702.  I look forward to chatting with the group. 

Sincerely,
Jesse

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: New to the forum
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 02:32:03 AM »

Recording on reel to reel?

That's pretty sweet.

How would you compare the Nagra tracks to the SD 702 tracks?

What kind of mics are you using?
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 09:58:18 AM »
Welcome Jesse.
I read your intro last week and wanted to add that your style/genre of recording isn't common around here but is a welcome addition. Check out posts by voltronic who records a lot of marching bands and musical ensembles.
What are your mic/preamp choices and do they differ with Nagra vs SD702?
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 10:19:51 AM »
Welcome!

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 02:46:49 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Jesse!

Do you use two mics only, or do you ever mix sources to get your two channels?

I only record in two track to get the blast.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 10:14:58 AM »
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and very excited to be a part of it.  My name is Jesse Anderson a recording engineer in San Antonio, TX.  I've been recording for Trinity University's Jazz and Wind Ensemble for 17 years now.  I only record in two track to get the blast.  My recording equipment includes several Nagra IV S' with the QGB adaptor and my digit backup is Sound Devices 702.  I look forward to chatting with the group. 

Sincerely,
Jesse

bring that nagra to Dead and Company at Erwin Center in December!
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline Rally555

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 05:49:06 PM »
My mic choices are two sets AT 4033A's which I use on both machines quite a bit.  My other mic choice is two Sennheiser MKH 406T.  The Nagra will take the T power.  The other mics are AKG 414 and that is usually for the Sound Device 702.  But sometimes those are a little to bright for the digital recording.  The mic amps on both are spot on, no need to use anything else.  I use no mixing source.  The other mics I use sometimes are Rode NT1-A which I like a lot too.  I use the Rode for either machine depending on how I'm feeling. 

I use 10 inch reels BASF 468 and tape speed is Nagra Master 15.  It is setup just for that machine which gives it a higher frequency response and a little bit more dynamic.  That is a half hour of recording and I can usually make it to intermission allowing me to rewind and put a new spool on.  If not I have the Sound Device as backup so it is all good.  The Sound Device I record at 24b/192k.  I do it at it's highest rate which is awesome.  I have yet to use the Sound Device as the Master copy.  The analog sound is just amazing. 

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 06:04:38 AM »
My mic choices are two sets AT 4033A's which I use on both machines quite a bit.  My other mic choice is two Sennheiser MKH 406T.  The Nagra will take the T power.  The other mics are AKG 414 and that is usually for the Sound Device 702.  But sometimes those are a little to bright for the digital recording.  The mic amps on both are spot on, no need to use anything else.  I use no mixing source.  The other mics I use sometimes are Rode NT1-A which I like a lot too.  I use the Rode for either machine depending on how I'm feeling. 

I use 10 inch reels BASF 468 and tape speed is Nagra Master 15.  It is setup just for that machine which gives it a higher frequency response and a little bit more dynamic.  That is a half hour of recording and I can usually make it to intermission allowing me to rewind and put a new spool on.  If not I have the Sound Device as backup so it is all good.  The Sound Device I record at 24b/192k.  I do it at it's highest rate which is awesome.  I have yet to use the Sound Device as the Master copy.  The analog sound is just amazing.
imo it would be cool to run a set of AT into both the analog and digital recorders as a comp and see how the differences sound
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Rally555

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 06:28:01 PM »
Hello Willndmb,

Yes, the Sound Device does sound very close to the analog.  What is really nice, I keep all my Masters on analog and digital.  What I enjoy is sitting in the backyard with a nice cigar & scotch listening to the Sound Device 702.  I use the Westone UN Pro 30 in the ear monitors (IEM).  The 702 is such a nice portable unit it is easy to handle instead lugging the Nagra in the backyard. 

Oh one more thing.  The phone amp on the Sound Device 702 is amazing for playback.  It can push any headphone or IEM.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 06:32:02 PM by Rally555 »

Offline Rally555

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 04:20:18 AM »
Is anyone on this forum going to the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in Denver?  I will be there Friday at noon in the Cam Jam with my Sound Device 702 with live Jazz recordings if anyone is interested in listening. 

Jesse Anderson

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com