Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F4 with six inputs and eight tracks (is like a new low priced F8!)  (Read 50619 times)

Offline IronFilm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
My blog post on this news: http://ironfilm.co.nz/news-leak-zoom-f4-with-six-inputs-and-eight-tracks-is-like-a-new-low-priced-zoom-f8/ (some of it repeated below)

I thought the Zoom F8 when it was announced was a groundbreaking new recorder in what it brought to a new low price point for soundies.

Now the F4 is even cheaper ($650 vs $1K), and has nearly everything the F8 has! Except for most notably the lack of extra XLR inputs (8 vs 4, thus the names: F8 vs F4. The "F" = field recorder, "H" = handheld recorder such as H1/H4n/H5/H6) and the lack of an app for the F4 to mix on a tablet like you can with the F8. Oh, and in a more minor point the F4 has a monochrome screen vs the 4 color screen of the F8.

But everything else (such as pre amps, and time code) is basically exactly the same as the F8!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g-7wTzEQzM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tlJYn3hci0

Here is the blurb and specs list from B&H (page is currently down, you need to use Google cache to view it):

Designed to provide big Hollywood sound on an affordable indie budget, Zoom F4 is a 6-input / 8-track professional field recorder featuring super-low-noise preamps and timecode with pinpoint accuracy. The unit provides recording and playback resolutions up to 24-bit/192 kHz with impressive audio specs including an extremely low noise floor (-127 dBu EIN) and high gain (up to +75 dB), with +4 dB line-level inputs. The on-board temperature-compensated crystal oscillator (TCXO) generates timecode at 0.2 ppm accuracy and supports all standard drop-frame and non-drop formats, as well as jam sync for external devices.

The advanced on-board limiters provide overload protection for all inputs and outputs, which lets you capture audio in a wide range of environments. Limiting can be applied simultaneously at full resolution with 10 dB of headroom and features controls for setting threshold, attack, and release.

The F4 offers four combo XLR-1/4" inputs, a 1/8" stereo input, and includes a Zoom mic-capsule input for recording six discrete tracks with an additional stereo mix, all at full 24-bit/192 kHz resolution. Additionally, inputs 5/6 can function as a camera return for audio monitoring only for confidence checks. The dual-SD card slot features simultaneous recording to both cards allowing you to make a backup or split recording with all eight tracks on one card and a stereo mix on the other.
Each of the four XLR-1/4" inputs offers a dedicated preamp with gain control, phantom power, a six-segment LED level meter, plus a Record Ready and PFL switch. In addition to the 1/4" headphone output with a dedicated volume control, the F4 provides two main balanced XLR outputs, as well as two sub outs on a single unbalanced 1/8" stereo mini-jack, enabling easy connection to a camera. All timecode I/O is provided on BNC connectors and the unit includes a variable-frequency slate-tone generator to confirm levels.

An easy-to-read 1.9" LCD display is suitable for use in all lighting environments including dark low-light sets to bright sunlight. The on-board mixer not only provides user-adjustable level, pan, and input/output delay, but also offers high-pass filtering for noise and wind reduction, phase inversion, and Mid-Side decoding. The F4 ships with a camera-mount adapter, AC power adapter, and download codes for Cubase LE and Wavelab LE.

Six-input / eight-track multitrack field recorder with integrated mixer

Six discrete inputs, including four with locking Neutrik XLR/TRS combo connectors, a stereo 3.5mm input, and Zoom mic-capsule input

Compact and lightweight metal chassis, weighing just two pounds (without batteries)

High-quality mic preamps with up to 75 dB gain, less than -127 dBu EIN, and +4 dB line inputs

Support for up to 24-bit/192 kHz recording as well as 96, 88.2, 48, and 44.1 kHz, plus 47.952 and 48.048 kHz for HD video compatibility; 16-/24-bit resolution

Accurate timecode (0.2 ppm) I/O on standard BNC connectors; dropframe/non-drop formats with Jam Sync

Two different power supply options: 8x AA batteries or external DC battery pack with 4-pin Hirose connector

Dedicated gain control knob, 6-segment LED level meter, and PFL/Solo switch for each channel

Phantom power (+48V/+24V) on every preamp

Advanced on-board limiters for input and output

High-pass filter, phase invert, and Mid-Side decoder

Input delay of up to 30ms per channel / output delay of up to 10 frames per output

Compatible with all Zoom mic capsules; optional ECM extender cable enables remote positioning

Dual XLR balanced Main Outs plus 1/8" stereo mini-jack Sub Out

Dedicated headphone output (100mW) with front-panel volume control

1.9” white, backlit monochrome LCD

Dedicated PFL display with viewable trim settings

Dual SD/SDHC/SDXC card slots, up to 512GB each

Records in BWF-compliant WAV or MP3 file formats

Support for extensive metadata (BWF and iXML); input time, date, project, scene number, etc.

Built-in tripod mount; camera-mount adapter also included

Use as a 6-in/4-out USB audio interface (@ 96 kHz)

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
Re: Zoom F4 with six inputs and eight tracks (is like a new low priced F8!)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 11:57:45 AM »
Cool - this must be what they were teasing Facebook the past few weeks...

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 11:59:39 AM »
Looks good and the knobs are bigger than the F8. :coolguy:

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 02:47:27 PM »
Here's Zoom's product page: https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/field-recording/zoom-f4-multitrack-field-recorder

Looks like 4 inputs, with the ability to record safety tracks for two of them (which I always find extremely helpful for SBD sources for which you can't guess the levels beforehand). It also works with the EXH-6. That gives you two additional analog inputs. Also, they now seem to be including a DC to Hirose adapter cable, which is nice.
A little disappointing is the fact that the XLR mic inputs are still 20dB hotter than the TRS line inputs. But that can be solved with simple attenuator cables. Also, the SD card slots were moved to the back of the unit, compared to the F8. But with cards of 64GB and more, I doubt this is a problem for anyone. I just don't understand that design choice as the F4's dimensions are exactly the same as the F8's.

At that price point, the F4 looks like a perfect recorder for AUD/SBD mixes and similar situations. I'd be all over this if I hadn't gotten myself a F8 earlier this year.

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 03:20:49 PM »
^ The way I read it, you can also get six channels from the XLRs plus a stereo 1/8" input.

Off topic a bit, but do you find that you generally need attenuators with the F8?

Offline HJD

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 03:26:23 PM »
Thanks for posting this IronFilm and for the writing up that detailed blog post! :) It just great that high quality preamps are becoming more affordable. I'm quite tempted by the F4 and look forward to reviews, but if the F8 is anything to go by, then the F4 should be a winner ;)

stevetoney

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 04:06:01 PM »
Off topic a bit, but do you find that you generally need attenuators with the F8?

I don't.  When i bought my f8 a year ago I also bought a pair of in-line attenuators while I was awaiting delivery bc i didn't like the idea of using TR or TRS connectors instead of xlrs.  Since then I've become a bit of a fan of using my TRS connectors.  Mine are right angle and the size of my bag is such that there's no risk of them being pulled out accidentally.  They're super easy to install and remove without the need to pull the recorder out like you generally have to with locking xlrs.  Best of all is that they rotate to whatever exit angle / position you need them to. 

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 05:31:47 PM »

The first time I used it, the levels got a bit too hot for my tastes with the gain all the way down. I always used the attenuators since then.

I don't.  When i bought my f8 a year ago I also bought a pair of in-line attenuators while I was awaiting delivery bc i didn't like the idea of using TR or TRS connectors instead of xlrs.  Since then I've become a bit of a fan of using my TRS connectors.  Mine are right angle and the size of my bag is such that there's no risk of them being pulled out accidentally.  They're super easy to install and remove without the need to pull the recorder out like you generally have to with locking xlrs.  Best of all is that they rotate to whatever exit angle / position you need them to. 

Yeah, I'd totally use TRS plugs, but the F8 does not pass phantom power through them.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 06:11:45 PM »
Toney uses a external Preamp, not the onboard pre's of his F8.

The 1/4" inputs for Line Levels and XLR for Mic/Phantom Power is a "feature". I have that same feature on my old Fostex FR2LE. Saves the real estate, of which there is not much on these two units,  needed for a switch to choose Line or Mic (like the Mic/Line switch on DR680). It just requires you to be prepared with the right cables for the desired type of input.

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 06:19:22 PM »
To make sure I'm reading the specs correctly, this recorder has 4 XLR/TRS inputs and another input(s) for channels 5 and 6, yes?  In the pictures of the deck it appears that there are two ways to do the 5/6 input: an 1/8-inch (presumably stereo) plug and there's something else on the back of the device next to the SD card door.  Anyone know what type of input that is?  TIA. 

stevetoney

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 07:32:22 PM »
Yeah, I'd totally use TRS plugs, but the F8 does not pass phantom power through them.

Excellent point of course, which I absent-mindedly didn't make in my response.  If I didn't use the phantom from my external preamps, I'd definitely be putting my attenuators to use.

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 08:54:50 PM »
To make sure I'm reading the specs correctly, this recorder has 4 XLR/TRS inputs and another input(s) for channels 5 and 6, yes?  In the pictures of the deck it appears that there are two ways to do the 5/6 input: an 1/8-inch (presumably stereo) plug and there's something else on the back of the device next to the SD card door.  Anyone know what type of input that is?  TIA.

That is adding on the same accessories used by the F8/H6/H5. Which includes the option to add in two more XLR inputs.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 11:03:52 PM »
I really like the ability to do Channels 5/6 with the 1/8" stereo input! I RARELY get SBD patches, but that 1/8" input would sure come in handy for when I DO get a sbd patch and run 4 channels of DAUD mics! I also wish the XLR INs were possible of Line Levels, but its not a huge deal in the end I guess! But a really nice package/deal overall IMO, and makes me look away from the 701D for awhile, since this does have that 1/8" IN for 2 more channels! I just wish it was able to be powered with that USB connector, since I do LOVE that about the 70d/701d!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 11:17:23 PM »
F.O.Bean, I'd take power over hirose any day rather than USB power.

Offline caymanreview

• shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 01:08:48 AM »
i hope the display is just a generic idea or switchable like the f8

this looks very interesting to me. the f8 is way overkill for me, and this would be perfect see ingly

but the display in the pics on b&h are absolutely horrible looking! the display and more so level metering on the f8 is its downfall. inaccuracy compared to everything else ive ran kind of irks me

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2016, 03:36:16 AM »
F.O.Bean, I'd take power over hirose any day rather than USB power.

I agree about the Hirose and its locking ability! But I just love how easy it is to power things with USB batteries, that's all 8)

Cayman, yeah, I wish the screen was as nice as the F8's too! That's a little off putting to me, but not a huge deal as long as the levels are accurate

Offline nolamule

• Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2016, 10:56:06 AM »
i hope the display is just a generic idea or switchable like the f8

this looks very interesting to me. the f8 is way overkill for me, and this would be perfect see ingly

but the display in the pics on b&h are absolutely horrible looking! the display and more so level metering on the f8 is its downfall. inaccuracy compared to everything else ive ran kind of irks me

The display and metering looks terrible in the photos which is a drag because the rest of the specs look great. Can you link tracks on the F8/F4 so that one dial is gain and the other is balance?

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2016, 11:46:54 AM »
bean- my opinion is the f8 display is horrible, anything less is a dealbreaker for me. the f8 metering is the worst part about it i think once you put 3d printed knobs over the stock knobs

nola, no

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2016, 12:28:26 PM »
Agree that F8 metering isn't great. Know with 24-bit you can run levels more conservative but I still like to get them warm.

stevetoney

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2016, 04:14:20 PM »
Sorry guys but I'm not with you on F8 metering.  It's every bit as accurate as, and has the exact same resolution as the meters/lights on a sound devices recorder.  Of course I'm talking about the display, not the tiny meters above the knobs.

Now if you're talking about the size of the stock knobs and how easy they are to use that's a different story.

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2016, 05:51:47 PM »
Sorry guys but I'm not with you on F8 metering.  It's every bit as accurate as, and has the exact same resolution as the meters/lights on a sound devices recorder.  Of course I'm talking about the display, not the tiny meters above the knobs.

Now if you're talking about the size of the stock knobs and how easy they are to use that's a different story.

I agree with TD on the metering - the display metering seems fine. What issues do you have?  If folks have been complaining about the metering on this thread, I must have missed it.

I got small fingers so I have no issues with the knobs.  Would it be better if they were bigger - sure, but they work fine for me.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2016, 08:24:04 PM »

Little known fun fact: the Zoom F4 can also record to Blu-ray disks as well as SD cards! ;-)

As the new Zoom F4 is "#1 New Release in Blu-ray Recorders" on Amazon, that is a new feature we didn't hear about from Zoom​...  that it can record not just to SD cards but to Blu-rays as well! ;-)  ha

That isn't even the oddest thing about this Amazon listing, it  indicates the RRP is $799 and won't ship until November 30th! :-o

Yet Zoom has stated pricing of $650 and shipping in October ( B&H Photo Video Pro Audio​ has expected availability of October 11th), thus I'm guessing that is two more things Amazon got wrong.

https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-F4-Input-Multitrack-Recorder/dp/B01LOR91FC/

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2016, 09:38:40 PM »

That is adding on the same accessories used by the F8/H6/H5. Which includes the option to add in two more XLR inputs.
The accessories include several different mics like:
https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/product-accessories/xyh-5-xy-stereo-microphone-capsule

But the adapter for XLR inputs is the one most of us would presumably use:
https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/product-accessories/exh-6-dual-xlrtrs-input-capsule

DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline greenmtnsrider

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My Shows
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2016, 11:04:13 PM »
I've been eyeing an F8 for a little while now, and this pops up. My understanding and please correct me if I'm wrong but line level input can be achieved by using 1/4" vs xlr. So xlr will be mic level and the 1/4" would be line level? Also, I'm not too keen on that xlr adapter thing shown in the above post, seems like something would go wrong at the worst time. Who knows. I'm happy with my busman 680 at the moment, I haven't actually utilized the upgraded pres on my 680 yet, but the idea of not using external pres is compelling. Less weight in the bag isn't a bad thing.
Mics: Schoeps CMC6/mk4| AKG C414b XLII/ST| AKG c460b/ck61| AKG se300B/Ck91, Ck92, Ck93| Church Audio CA-14 (C/O)| Tascam iM2
Preamps: Lunatec V2| Shure FP24| Naiant PIPsqueak
Decks: Sound Devices Mixpre10t| Tascam Portacapture X8| Tascam DR-70d| Tascam DR-2D
Cables: GAKables XLR

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2016, 11:21:44 PM »
You are correct on the line v. Mic inputs on the F8.  The add on 2 xlr adapter is interesting.  Apparently can be added to the F8 as well although I don't really foresee needing that many tracks.  It would be a relatively inexpensive way to add 2 inputs though since it only runs about $70.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2016, 12:01:31 AM »
i had alot of issues with the stock knobs until installing the 3d printed knobs, and now i have no complaints about that

as far as the levels, ive grown used to them, but i liked the accuracy of my 671 more than the f8. maybe i need to play with the view some more

Steve, which display mode do you use for level meters?? How high is everyone pushign their f8's? ive ran mine to the point of getting the clip light top stick a time or two a show

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2016, 12:29:26 AM »
Good question: Which display mode are you using? I get people like options, but the various screens get confusing.

Does feel like you can push the unit more than the levels suggest, as I often come home and realize I had more room.

Apologies for hijacking thread but it kinda fits.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2016, 06:22:13 AM »
You are correct on the line v. Mic inputs on the F8.  The add on 2 xlr adapter is interesting.  Apparently can be added to the F8 as well although I don't really foresee needing that many tracks.  It would be a relatively inexpensive way to add 2 inputs though since it only runs about $70.

I believe that 2 XLR attachment does not pass phantom power though, even though it accepts line and mic level.  Those attachments came out for the H6, and I remember thinking of how cheap that was to have a 6 mic input recorder, only to find out that phantom can only be supplied to 4.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2016, 07:45:17 AM »

Excellent point of course, which I absent-mindedly didn't make in my response.  If I didn't use the phantom from my external preamps, I'd definitely be putting my attenuators to use.

Thanks, guys.  The maximum input spec is kind of difficult to interpret for both the F4 and F8 (it is with the "10 dB headroom limiter" on); I assume it is 4 dBu with the limiter off?  Factor in the minimum 10 dB gain and a little headroom and it gets pretty tight (especially since my main mics are ~ 9.8 dB more sensitive than, say, MK4s).  Still pretty interesting as an all-in-one, though, even if some attenuators might be necessary.  I am pretty sure Naiant even sells XLR cables with attenuation built into the connectors...

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2016, 04:41:54 PM »
I preordered one!  I was looking into more expensive solutions, but I don't run 4 channels very often so figured I'd give the f4 a shot.  I can run my tinybox on the 5/6 to run 6 channels of mics and still have a really small foot print. 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2016, 05:10:31 PM »
I preordered one!  I was looking into more expensive solutions, but I don't run 4 channels very often so figured I'd give the f4 a shot.  I can run my tinybox on the 5/6 to run 6 channels of mics and still have a really small foot print. 

Exactly! This is exactly what Ive been thinking, JBell! That 1/8" IN on 5/6 is pretty damn cool, and would be perfect for someone like me who almost ALWAYS runs 4 channels, but has the ability to get a SBD patch, even though it doesn't happen very often 8) That's the biggest selling point to me right now!

I kinda wish the F4 case was smaller than the F8's, but the F8 isn't THAT big to begin with, so no biggie there. I just wished Zoom would've used a smaller case/chassis, because I love how tiny my 70D is!

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2016, 01:33:02 PM »
The accessories include several different mics like:
https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/product-accessories/xyh-5-xy-stereo-microphone-capsule

But the adapter for XLR inputs is the one most of us would presumably use:
https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/product-accessories/exh-6-dual-xlrtrs-input-capsule

Thank you for the info and clarification, jefflester and IronFilm.  While a proprietary add-on/connector is a nuisance, it's good to know that Zoom makes it so that you can use the same one among their devices. 

Offline connloyalist

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2016, 05:43:58 AM »
If I understand correctly that EXH-6 module does have two pre-amps, since it accepts mic level input. Any thoughts on the quality of those pre-amps? I am assuming quite a bit less than the F4/F8?

Regards, Christine

Offline voltronic

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2016, 07:47:01 AM »
If I understand correctly that EXH-6 module does have two pre-amps, since it accepts mic level input. Any thoughts on the quality of those pre-amps? I am assuming quite a bit less than the F4/F8?

Regards, Christine

Preamps, yes.  Phantom power, no.  The Zoom website has almost no info on the EXH-6, but the description from dealers makes its features clear.  From B&H:
The EXH-6 from Zoom adds two additional XLR/TRS combo inputs to the Zoom H5 and H6 handheld recorders. This makes the H5 capable of recording up to four external signals simultaneously, and the H6 up to six. Capable of handling either mic or line-level signals, each input is equipped with its own preamp and -20 dB pad. Please note, this module does not provide phantom power.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline connloyalist

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2016, 07:51:46 AM »
To me that suggests the pre-amps are H6 quality. Agreed?

Regards, Christine

Offline voltronic

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2016, 08:49:20 AM »

Regards, Christine

The EXT-6 first came out as an accessory when the H6 was released, and it also connects to the H5 and Q8 (and now the F8 and F4 as well).  Given that it does not pass P48, who knows what other differences there are compared to the built-in H6 preamps? 

Since the EXT-6 has been out for a quite a while as an accessory for those other units, we can safely assume that it doesn't have the new higher-quality preamps of the F4 / F8.  Zoom does not publish block diagrams for these accessories, so unless someone opens one up it's unclear exactly what's going on in there.  So that means its preamps are certainly not going to be higher quality than those in the H6, and they might actually be lower. 

This attachment is only going to be useful for mics that don't need phantom, unless you're using an external preamp or power supply in which case the its effects on the sound are going to be minimized.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 08:51:02 AM by voltronic »
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2016, 10:07:27 AM »

Regards, Christine

The EXT-6 first came out as an accessory when the H6 was released, and it also connects to the H5 and Q8 (and now the F8 and F4 as well).  Given that it does not pass P48, who knows what other differences there are compared to the built-in H6 preamps? 

Since the EXT-6 has been out for a quite a while as an accessory for those other units, we can safely assume that it doesn't have the new higher-quality preamps of the F4 / F8.  Zoom does not publish block diagrams for these accessories, so unless someone opens one up it's unclear exactly what's going on in there.  So that means its preamps are certainly not going to be higher quality than those in the H6, and they might actually be lower. 

This attachment is only going to be useful for mics that don't need phantom, unless you're using an external preamp or power supply in which case the its effects on the sound are going to be minimized.

Its probably a mistake to assume the adapter contains the pre-amps...

Not impossible the internals contain extra preamps (especially if this is the same chips as the F8) - and the adapter only houses the control knobs.

Offline connloyalist

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2016, 10:23:25 AM »

Not impossible the internals contain extra preamps (especially if this is the same chips as the F8) - and the adapter only houses the control knobs.

That would be an interesting scenario.....  :hmmm:

Regards, Christine

Offline voltronic

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2016, 02:09:26 PM »

Regards, Christine

That's a fair point - it could just be controls and connectors.  It says "each input is equipped with its own preamp" but it doesn't specify where that preamp circuit actually is.  The proof would be if the other mic attachments they sell have a preamp built into them or not. 

I just noticed that in the B&H sales page I linked earlier, I forgot to include the last part which may be relevant:

The EXH-6 from Zoom adds two additional XLR/TRS combo inputs to the Zoom H5 and H6 handheld recorders. This makes the H5 capable of recording up to four external signals simultaneously, and the H6 up to six. Capable of handling either mic or line-level signals, each input is equipped with its own preamp and -20 dB pad. Please note, this module does not provide phantom power.

Two 5 volt preamps for to minimize distortion even at high volumes

I'm going to guess that the 2 x 5V powering is likely the same as what is provided as polarization for the other mic attachments that work on that same port - in other words, they're all made to work on Plug-In Power.  It also doesn't appear that there's any way to disable the 5V when using the EXH-6, but that's low enough that you probably aren't going to damage a dynamic mic or a line level source attached.

The real problem I have with that sales statement is that it's misleading.  It says that it doesn't supply phantom power, which is true if you're talking about the voltage specs for that term.  But it says that it supplies 2 X 5V, without using the term "plug-in-power".  For someone who doesn't understand what kind of condenser mics need which kind of powering, this might cause confusion, especially since most big-brand PIP mics connect via a minijack, whereas this has two XLR/TRS combo inputs, which look identical to the other inputs on Zoom recorders people are plugging their mics into.

A coworker bought an H6 a while back and he picked up the EXH-6 with it, thinking he could connect six P48 mics to it.  I had to break it to him that it wouldn't work that way.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2016, 04:12:52 PM »

I asked the EXH-6 preamp question of Zoom in a comment to their FB ad post and got the following response.  So as indicated above, the preamps are the H6 preamps.  It adds two tracks to the F4, but not to the F8.

"EXH-6 preamps are the same H6 preamps. When used with F4 it can provide 5th and 6th XLR/line inputs. With F8 it would just replace 1 and 2 (not as useful). For the F8, the mic capsule input is more for the rest of our interchangeable capsules."

Offline connloyalist

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2016, 04:17:05 PM »

I asked the EXH-6 preamp question of Zoom in a comment to their FB ad post and got the following response.  So as indicated above, the preamps are the H6 preamps.  It adds two tracks to the F4, but not to the F8.

"EXH-6 preamps are the same H6 preamps. When used with F4 it can provide 5th and 6th XLR/line inputs. With F8 it would just replace 1 and 2 (not as useful). For the F8, the mic capsule input is more for the rest of our interchangeable capsules."

Thank you for getting that cleared up.

Regards, Christine

Offline voltronic

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2016, 04:35:08 PM »

That's a pretty odd response, IMO.  First of all, if it only passes 5V instead of 48V, is it really the "same" preamp?  Also, if what they say about the F4 and F8 is true, then they should list the EXT-6 as incompatible with the F8 since it is truly downgrading the capabilities of two of the inputs, as opposed to adding functionality.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline connloyalist

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2016, 05:44:23 PM »
Wait a sec.... excuse my ignorance, but it says "Two 5 volt preamps". To me that means the preamps themselves run off 5 volts. Why are we sure that means they pass 5 volts through the XLR connectors to whatever is attached? Doesn't the H6 (for which these modules were designed, right?) itself run off 5 volts?

Regards, Christine

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2016, 05:59:47 PM »
Wait a sec.... excuse my ignorance, but it says "Two 5 volt preamps". To me that means the preamps themselves run off 5 volts. Why are we sure that means they pass 5 volts through the XLR connectors to whatever is attached? Doesn't the H6 (for which these modules were designed, right?) itself run off 5 volts?

Regards, Christine

That makes a lot more sense

Offline voltronic

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2016, 10:17:27 PM »

Regards, Christine

That makes a lot more sense

Maybe I'm missing something here, but that doesn't make sense to me at all.  Lots of other portable recorders run off 5V power, whether from 4 AA batteries (1.5V x 4) or from an external cell phone battery on a USB connector supplying 5V.  But the F4 and F8 (which the EXT-6 also connects with) will not run on 5V; they have a Hirose connector which requires 9-16V DC, or 8 AA batteries (1.5V x 8 = 12V).  The "two 5 volt preamps" statement is being made about the EXT-6 itself, and not conditional upon on which Zoom recorder it is attached to.  Lots of things happen between the power supplied to the overall recorder and the powering voltage to the mics, and I don't think you can draw a conclusion between those two things.

Also, look at the entire statement in their sales language (emphasis mine):
Two 5 volt preamps for to minimize distortion even at high volumes

That last part makes it very clear that they are talking about the voltage supplied to the microphones.  The funny thing about this is that 5V may be a bit on the low side for using PIP mics to record a loud source.  That's one of the reasons many members here use 9V battery supplies for PIP mics, rather than running from a recorder's built-in PIP supply which is typically no more than 3-5V.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 10:19:24 PM by voltronic »
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2016, 07:03:25 PM »
IPS IBC 2016 Episode 20 Zoom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv4r4MMF0EE

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2016, 06:07:58 PM »
I agree with Volt! Sounds like there's just 1x 5v preamp per channel on the EXH-6, thus, the "2x 5v preamps" quote by Zoom!

Sounds like its just a PIP source that still might not be enough voltage to avoid distortion on tiny PIP mics!

Offline robin0112358

• Taperssection Newbie
    • theatre of noise
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2016, 03:15:43 PM »
A bit late to the party since I haven't been on Tapersection for a couple months. I don't have an F4 but do own the F8. From that experience I posted this feature comparison, which I hope will be useful for some:

http://www.theatreofnoise.com/2016/09/zoom-f4f8-feature-comparison.html
Theatre of Noise contains info on recorders and mics. Plus rants about film, observations on politics, and other stuff.

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2016, 08:32:47 PM »
A bit late to the party since I haven't been on Tapersection for a couple months. I don't have an F4 but do own the F8. From that experience I posted this feature comparison, which I hope will be useful for some:

If only it had bluetooth (and I don't even own an iOS device yet! But would've happily got an old iPad Mini or even an iPod Touch, to enter in metadata quickly on the fly) then I think it would be a no brainer choice for me to get the F4 (if reviews are good and doesn't turn up any surprises).

But as it is now... rather tougher to decided between which is superior of an F4 or F8. :-/

Wonder if they left out bluetooth just to be cruel and force these tough decisions on us! :-P

Offline robin0112358

• Taperssection Newbie
    • theatre of noise
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2016, 10:22:23 AM »
Well, something had to be left out to bring the price down, especially as they actually added features to the F4. The larger trim knobs and two extra front-panel buttons make the decision even more cruel. Oh, and the stereo return and full-sized XLR outputs are handy too! So that's five improvements that I would actually notice and use.

Just in case it is not obvious, you can assign the trim knobs to be mix level instead, and mix on the front panel. That might be good enough for many applications.
Theatre of Noise contains info on recorders and mics. Plus rants about film, observations on politics, and other stuff.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2016, 10:39:56 AM »

Read your comparison.  Nice job.  One Question:  How do you know that the F8 and F4 have the same preamps?

Offline robin0112358

• Taperssection Newbie
    • theatre of noise
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2016, 01:34:38 PM »
Zoom themselves report the preamps are the same. Besides, I don't think it would make much financial sense to retool production for different circuits. Companies like Zoom make their profit off large volumes and must standardise production.

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2016, 04:54:03 PM »
Zoom themselves report the preamps are the same. Besides, I don't think it would make much financial sense to retool production for different circuits. Companies like Zoom make their profit off large volumes and must standardise production.

Link?   Thanks.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2016, 05:20:05 PM »
This also doesn't have the bluetooth/app control, does it? Sorry if I missed that scrolling through..
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline robin0112358

• Taperssection Newbie
    • theatre of noise
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2016, 07:32:26 PM »

Link?   Thanks.

Normally I don't reply to something that can be easily Googled. Just go to the F4 product description page. It says this:

"The F4 is equipped with our highest-quality mic preamps. Like the F8, the F4’s mic preamps enable pristine recording and playback at resolutions up to 24-bit/192 kHz. Its impressive audio specs include an extremely low noise floor (-127 dBu EIN) and high gain (up to 75 dB), with +4 dB line-level inputs."

Then if you check out the specs, you will see that all eight items pertaining to the mic pres are identical between the recorders.

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2016, 08:41:27 PM »
Thank you for your time, Robin.  You've convinced me to buy one.  Cheers!   :cheers: 

Some Youtube videos I found.  First video from IBC 2016, the Zoom Rep does claim the F4 has the same preamps as the F8 (go to 1:45 mark).

IBC 2016 - Zoom Rep interview w/ F4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVoKa6oPTO8

Gotham Sound overview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMFJCt3sfYg

B & H Photo overview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g-7wTzEQzM

Zoom F4 Promo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaLSlvMu2v0

Preamp sound comparison: Zoom F8 vs Sound Devices 688
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM6VOEYpm4g#t=342.264926

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 09:35:46 PM by spyder9 »

Offline LIVEMUSIC752

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2016, 07:31:31 PM »

Regards, Christine

not using phantom V48 so you could use dynamic microphones then with that option?

Offline refrain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2016, 08:29:51 PM »
First unboxing video, nothing concrete yet, no tests, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p55ibOVdRok
Mics: 2x Oktava MK-012 Card (XY, ORTF), AT BP4025 (STEREO XY), DIY Primo 172 48v matched stereo, Sony ECM 55B (Lav), DIY piezo mics
Audio Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6
Assorted audio acessories: Motu Ultralite MKIII, Echofire2 interface, Mackie 802 VLZ3 mixer, Rode Blimp II, sennheiser hd25
Audio Monitors: Yamaha HS7

Offline Mike Stranks

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2016, 12:53:31 PM »
First unboxing video, nothing concrete yet, no tests, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p55ibOVdRok

Good stuff!  None have landed in the UK yet... I have one on pre-order....
The older I get the better I used to be

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2016, 09:18:22 PM »
John Rowley soundequip.com.au just said that by tomorrow they'll have F4 kits available to rent from their Melbourne and Sydney locations.

Offline Mike Stranks

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2016, 03:42:56 PM »
Mine was delivered today... (UK)

Can't find a list anywhere of recommended/compatible SD etc cards...

Anyone here found one yet?

Offline graywolf

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2016, 07:17:54 PM »
Mine came today as well.

I recorded and played back a short bit of voice on one track just to see if it works okay. Going to take awhile to figure out all those menu items.

I have not seen a list of okay cards either, I just ordered the 64gb SanDisk card B&H had listed with it.

It does not look nor feel cheap. Knobs are big enough for me.

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2016, 08:59:15 PM »
Mine was delivered today... (UK)

Can't find a list anywhere of recommended/compatible SD etc cards...

Anyone here found one yet?

https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/ZOOM_F8_compatibleCards.pdf

Ive had no trouble with sandisk 128gb in the F8
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 09:00:54 PM by rippleish20 »
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline Mike Stranks

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2016, 04:16:01 PM »
Thanks guys

Yup! in the end I figured that if they work in the F6 they'll work in the F4... so I've ordered one that's listed as compatible.

Not had a chance to test recorded audio yet, but in terms of facilities available this is a massive step-up from any of the other recorders I've owned.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2016, 12:04:22 PM »
Nice to see tapers are liking the zoom products! I've only glanced at the F8 and F4 but they look appealing. For awhile I've had the zoom r16, which I don't use enough, so I know they've worked on on these recorders.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Mike Stranks

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2016, 01:05:28 PM »
Nice to see tapers are liking the zoom products! I've only glanced at the F8 and F4 but they look appealing. For awhile I've had the zoom r16, which I don't use enough, so I know they've worked on on these recorders.
R16 was the first multitrack I owned... loved it.... and got some surprisingly good recordings when using external preamps.

Still 'absorbing' the F4... I don't find the manual very user-friendly... seems to discuss part of what I consider a topic then go off somewhere else and then resume... Maybe I'm just getting old...  :)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2016, 05:43:56 PM »
Still 'absorbing' the F4... I don't find the manual very user-friendly... seems to discuss part of what I consider a topic then go off somewhere else and then resume... Maybe I'm just getting old...  :)

written by millennials for  millennials.  ;D
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline refrain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2016, 07:37:22 PM »
Another small review on the F4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr7pSufelOY
Mics: 2x Oktava MK-012 Card (XY, ORTF), AT BP4025 (STEREO XY), DIY Primo 172 48v matched stereo, Sony ECM 55B (Lav), DIY piezo mics
Audio Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6
Assorted audio acessories: Motu Ultralite MKIII, Echofire2 interface, Mackie 802 VLZ3 mixer, Rode Blimp II, sennheiser hd25
Audio Monitors: Yamaha HS7

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2016, 04:52:36 AM »
Curtis Judd has another one up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp6R5h8F4tU

Offline Mike Stranks

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2016, 05:47:22 AM »
Curtis Judd has another one up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp6R5h8F4tU

I do like Curtis Judd's style and commonsense approach. I agree absolutely with everything he's said about the F4 limiters. I've also found that unless the digital clipping is HUGE then it can usually be rescued to usability by using a quality plug-in. I use izotope De-clip.

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2016, 11:44:56 AM »
I bought a F4 even though I already have a F8. I like the F8 very much for the most part but  I never do more than four tracks, the little gain knobs are annoying to me and keeping track of the mini to regular size XLR cables for the main out is just yet another thing I have to keep track of (I end up doing a fair number of SBD recordings for a couple of bands and having to carry around cables to accommodate boards with 1/4 outs, boards with XLR outs in combination with the F* wanting 1/4 for line in, stuff for streaming,  etc adds up to much crap I have to keep track of already). At any rate, I like the F4 but the mono screen is *really* a downgrade from the F8. I can understand going to a monochrome screen but why does it have to be such a low resolution one?
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3

Offline RMayberry

• Taperssection Regular
  • "Just Keep On Breathing"
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2016, 03:39:29 PM »
Hello tapers and tapets.
I just got my Zoom F4 and I am having some trouble figuring something out:

The manual and even the side of the deck show "TRS" for line level input. BUT, i am using a "TRS to XLR" and the levels are super low. I then changed the cable to "TS" ends and its at a normal level.

Does anyone know need to if I have to use a "TRS to XLR cable" or a "TS to XLR cable"?
Don't Kill Live Music, Occupy A Venue

Offline graywolf

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2016, 05:38:17 PM »
I have used a XLR to TRS cable and it worked fine. The wiring diagram in the manual shows TRS. However, I can see no reason you couldn't use a TS.

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2016, 10:44:59 PM »
Hello tapers and tapets.
I just got my Zoom F4 and I am having some trouble figuring something out:

The manual and even the side of the deck show "TRS" for line level input. BUT, i am using a "TRS to XLR" and the levels are super low. I then changed the cable to "TS" ends and its at a normal level.

Does anyone know need to if I have to use a "TRS to XLR cable" or a "TS to XLR cable"?

What are you trying to run (xlr) into the line level input (trs)?

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2016, 12:27:52 AM »
Does the F4 have a HOLD button/function? This is a real deal-breaker for me. I'm often in situations where I have to "set it and forget it" and have to abandon the bag afterwards and guard the stand while the w00ks kick the gear tucked under the SBD...

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm

Offline graywolf

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2016, 11:08:50 AM »
Does the F4 have a HOLD button/function?

If you mean a LOCK function, no, not as far as I have been able to determine.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2016, 05:34:07 AM »
Does the F4 have a HOLD button/function? This is a real deal-breaker for me. I'm often in situations where I have to "set it and forget it" and have to abandon the bag afterwards and guard the stand while the w00ks kick the gear tucked under the SBD...

You just need a cheap ole Tascam 70D if you need to "set it and forget it" ;) The HOLD function locks EVERYTHING on the deck, including the gain knobs! I LOVE that about it actually! I get my levels set and put HOLD ON, and don't touch a thing until the set is over and I hit STOP 8) Well worth the $200/new with an "approved" sd card. I buy SanDisk Extreme Pro 128 & 64gb SD Cards from Amazon straight from SanDisk FWIW!

That said, I do like the F4/F8. And those extra 2 channels on 5/6 with the 1/8" Stereo input is badass IMO! It's also MORE THAN double the price of a 70D, same price as the 701D! So there are LOTS of options out there for UNDER $1k that are HQ and sound great! I also just bought a 128gb SanDisk Extreme Pro SD Card for only $64 on Amazon :) Can't beat the price and quality on those either IMO!

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2016, 09:01:22 AM »
I also just bought a 128gb SanDisk Extreme Pro SD Card for only $64 on Amazon :) Can't beat the price and quality on those either IMO!

Is crazy that back when I was buying stacks of SanDisk Extreme Pro cards for my Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera that I paid over 50% more for cards of only *half* the capacity!!

Offline caymanreview

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2017, 08:16:50 AM »
The mixing control surface is now announced for $350:

http://www.locationsound.com/zoom-f-control-mixing-control-surface-for-zoom-f-series-3840

did anyone buy one of these?

It looks great, for the price, but I'm not sure I'd want to run that under a seat at MSG...
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2017, 10:02:58 AM »

It looks great, for the price, but I'm not sure I'd want to run that under a seat at MSG...

MSG?

Offline graywolf

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2017, 10:22:54 AM »

Offline kingdong

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2017, 11:07:14 AM »

MSG?
Madison Square Garden

Offline frank10

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2017, 03:23:47 PM »
Hi all,
in the 1/8 input, is it possible to directly connect a 3.5mm lav mic?
1) those battery powered, should work I think. But I don't know if they are mono with a stereo connector, I think a special adapter cable is needed or even those with a mono connector. With proper cable should it get 2 of them.
2) those not battery powered like for example those smartphone lavs that get "power line" (I think between 1V-9V) (I know they are TRRS, but with an adapter cable...)?
There isn't phantom power, but how many volts go out from  F4's 1/8 input? 5V?
3) input levels are like XLR inputs? Are correct for these mics or are like line levels?

Practical example mics:
1) Aputure a.lav or ATR 3350
2) Rode smartlav+

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2017, 05:05:04 PM »
The 1/8" jack is an output not an input

Offline frank10

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2017, 02:53:44 AM »
I saw in a 3.5mm connector there is: RTN (INPUT 5/6).
I'm not referring to the SUB OUT 3.5mm.

But anyway, I suppose I assumed it wrong: it should be a line signal, so it's not possible...

Ok, let's say:
mics like 1) can be solved with an XLR adapter in the normal mic inputs without Phantom? They are battery powered, so they should work.

mics like 2) could be connected to the Zoom capsule with an XLR adapter?
EDIT:
I read that it hasn't phantom power (24-48V), so how much Volts output that capsule, is it with "plug-in power" (3-9V) to power electret mics without battery?

Otherwise, is there some way to connect these lavs not powered, not phantom?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 06:32:41 AM by frank10 »

Offline graywolf

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2017, 02:17:57 PM »
5/6 is a line-in jack. That means you, usually, need a pre-amp to use it with a mic. Its intended use is to take a line level signal from a camcorder or a front of house mixer and send it to the headphone amp for monitoring. HOWEVER, it can be sent to the recorder 5/6 tracks instead. The 5/6 tracks can also record from the Zoom Plug-in Mic's.

I saw in a 3.5mm connector there is: RTN (INPUT 5/6).
I'm not referring to the SUB OUT 3.5mm.

But anyway, I suppose I assumed it wrong: it should be a line signal, so it's not possible...

Ok, let's say:
mics like 1) can be solved with an XLR adapter in the normal mic inputs without Phantom? They are battery powered, so they should work.

mics like 2) could be connected to the Zoom capsule with an XLR adapter?
EDIT:
I read that it hasn't phantom power (24-48V), so how much Volts output that capsule, is it with "plug-in power" (3-9V) to power electret mics without battery?

Otherwise, is there some way to connect these lavs not powered, not phantom?

Offline frank10

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2017, 02:52:14 PM »
Thank you. At pag.83 of the manual it says: "changing the plugin power setting (Plugin Power)" to use when there is a mic connected to the mic capsule (MIC/LINE) input jack.
What does it mean capsule input jack?
Capsule, does it mean the external 5/6 channels connected in the rear MIC IN connector EXH-6? But they have a XLR connector besides the jack. Anyway if it refers to them, with that accessory it should be possible to connect some plug-in power mics.

I hope it can manage both phantom power and plug-in power.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 02:58:39 PM by frank10 »

Offline kubacheck

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My Flickr site
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2017, 10:50:17 AM »
I don't know for how long, but the F4 is on sale for $599 at Musicians Friend right now.... plus free ground shipping....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/zoom-f4-multitrack-field-recorder

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2017, 12:57:15 PM »
I don't know for how long, but the F4 is on sale for $599 at Musicians Friend right now.... plus free ground shipping....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/zoom-f4-multitrack-field-recorder

Last I saw, it was until February 6, like the sale on the F8.

Offline frank10

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2017, 08:26:46 AM »
In my F4, if I slide horizontally the finger on the top rear metal battery slot when F4 is powered from mains, without any cable connected apart mic, I get a little "current" feeling on the finger... it's a "feeling" of some current...
If i power from battery OR if I connect to USB it disappears!
Does it seem sort like not well shielded to GND?

Is it normal? Do you have this, too?

Offline frank10

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #92 on: February 08, 2017, 03:37:24 PM »
I have a serious problem with my unit, I will tell you after this test: I would like to know if it's only my unit or if it's a design flaw, so it could be an interesting test.

This is an empirically method to check the problem of my previous post:
Could you test this:

EDIT: test to be made with the unit powered by the transformer, without other cables connected.

get a multimeter, put at 20V AC, put black probe to connect the external metal hirose connector, and the red probe to the rear metal battery slot.
(Probably it's sufficient touching only with the black probe...)
What does it show the multimeter?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 08:31:52 PM by frank10 »

Kohakoo

« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2017, 09:41:53 AM »
Hi, I have posted this in the Zoom F8 forum as well but the units are similar in operation I think. Can anyone tell me how to set up a Cardioid Mic and a Bidirectional Mic to do Mid-Side recording  with the F8.
I have tried different ways and have to end up editing in post to achieve this.
According to the manual, it appears as though you need a dedicated MS Mic to do this. I bought the F8 after reading it can decode Mid-Side.

Thank you Brian

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2017, 02:25:06 PM »
I have a serious problem with my unit, I will tell you after this test: I would like to know if it's only my unit or if it's a design flaw, so it could be an interesting test.

This is an empirically method to check the problem of my previous post:
Could you test this:

EDIT: test to be made with the unit powered by the transformer, without other cables connected.

get a multimeter, put at 20V AC, put black probe to connect the external metal hirose connector, and the red probe to the rear metal battery slot.
(Probably it's sufficient touching only with the black probe...)
What does it show the multimeter?

Simple answer: you are measuring the leakage current between protective earth and the output of the switchmode power supply (aka wall wart or transformer). Primary and secondary side of the Switchmode power supply are connected by a small safety capacitor for two reasons:

1) to pass the EMC test
2) to survive the required high voltage burst/surge test

The AC current you can feel is very low. IIRC the limit is 300microamps or so (depends on the local safety regulations and product class).

BTW digital multimeters with input resistances in the Megohm range will show nonsense in this case - I measured 100V AC on a wire that ran parallel to a mains wire. The voltage disappeared when I pulled out my old analog meter - its called capacitive coupling.

So - no worries. If you still worry, simply run the F4 on battery power, problem solved.

Greetings,

Rainer

doing electronic design and EMC stuff for a living for the last 30 years
recording steam trains since 1985

Offline frank10

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2017, 02:49:55 PM »
Thank you Kleiner Rainer, good explanation, anyway I knew that (I just learnt it a week ago). And if there is USB cable connected or i.e. other XLR main Out cable, those connections put it to GND and the measured Voltage disappears, so the test must be done without any cable connected.

Mine it's not a safety concern, after all the power switching is only 12V.
It's another *real* problem related to quality recording with mics. I really suspect this is correlated with problems I have -I will tell after someone test :) -  : in fact going to battery solves the problem!

So I would only to know if other owners of F4/F8 measure it (I know it's not a "real/correct" measure, but anyway it confirms there is/there isn't this leakage, as it's instead possible not to have it if the unit has some different design: after all, the most metal case of different units I touch don't have this, it means it's possible to avoid it; so it could be only my unit...).

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 03:44:10 PM by frank10 »

Offline Colin Liston

« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2017, 09:36:47 AM »
I've read through this thread but I must have missed it, but can someone tell me if the F4 is the same as the F8 with the line level input can being achieved by using 1/4" vs xlr.

So xlr will be mic level and the 1/4" would be line level?   
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2017, 11:45:30 AM »
I've read through this thread but I must have missed it, but can someone tell me if the F4 is the same as the F8 with the line level input can being achieved by using 1/4" vs xlr.

So xlr will be mic level and the 1/4" would be line level?

yes

Offline heathen

« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2017, 11:18:13 PM »
I feel like an idiot asking this, but how do I use a pair of mini input mics (Countryman B3, CA14) with this?  I tried plugging them into the 5/6 input on the side, and got nothing.   ???
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2017, 04:25:24 AM »
^ Plug-in power turned on?

Offline heathen

« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2017, 08:09:52 AM »
I tried it with PIP and with a battery box.  Still couldn't find how to set the levels of 5/6.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2017, 01:44:35 PM »
It's not immediately obvious how you set gain for 5/6 from the manual.  When you press the "Input 5/6" button, you see a screen with Input, level, fader, etc. Input turns 5/6 on or to RTN. If you go down to level, don'r you get a screen allowing for control of the level? Same for Fader, pan, etc.

The menus on the F8 are a lot more intuitive. It took me a while to figure out how to set the fader level for tracks on the F4 whereas its immediately obvious how to do it on the F8...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 01:46:29 PM by rippleish20 »

Offline heathen

« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2017, 02:02:31 PM »
It's not immediately obvious how you set gain for 5/6 from the manual.  When you press the "Input 5/6" button, you see a screen with Input, level, fader, etc. Input turns 5/6 on or to RTN. If you go down to level, don'r you get a screen allowing for control of the level?
I don't have it in front of me right now, but if I remember correctly when I tried the "level" option it gave me two choices: -10 dBV or +4 dBu.

Edit: I went ahead and contacted Zoom to get an answer about this.  When using the 5/6 mini jack input the level can ONLY be set to -10 dBV or +4 dBu from that menu...there's no other adjustment for that 5/6 input.  Guess I should have gotten this clarification before buying it.  :facepalm: 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:39:53 PM by heathen »

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2017, 03:01:31 PM »
That's quite strange.

As solutions, you could possibly:

1. add the dual XLR module, but then you would lose the PIP
2. It looks like you can control fader setting. Is so, you can reduce the L/R track to just 5 and 6 post fader and control gain via the fader.

Offline heathen

« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2017, 03:09:39 PM »
2. It looks like you can control fader setting. Is so, you can reduce the L/R track to just 5 and 6 post fader and control gain via the fader.

Interesting, I'll give that a try.

Offline heathen

« Reply #105 on: August 18, 2017, 12:25:57 PM »
I was not able to make this work.  I'm not saying it's impossible, but I wasn't able to find a way to do it.

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #106 on: August 18, 2017, 12:57:46 PM »
I was not able to make this work.  I'm not saying it's impossible, but I wasn't able to find a way to do it.

Accomplishing what I suggested first depends on whether you can actually control the fader level - Does selecting fader in this screen give you control or is it like the level menu item where there are a couple of settings?

Offline graywolf

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #107 on: August 18, 2017, 02:37:10 PM »
I feel like an idiot asking this, but how do I use a pair of mini input mics (Countryman B3, CA14) with this?  I tried plugging them into the 5/6 input on the side, and got nothing.   ???

5/6 is -10 or +4 line in. You would need an external pre-amp.

1/4" Phone plugs are -10 line in, once again you would need and external pre-amp.

XLR's are mic in. With and adapter they should work for you.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 02:39:21 PM by graywolf »

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2017, 03:04:07 PM »

5/6 is -10 or +4 line in. You would need an external pre-amp.

1/4" Phone plugs are -10 line in, once again you would need and external pre-amp.

XLR's are mic in. With and adapter they should work for you.

Yeah he realized that after talking to them and is going with an external pre-amp. I am still curious is the fader and l/r would be an alternative strategy

1/4" are +4 however, I believe

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #109 on: August 18, 2017, 03:45:35 PM »

Yeah he realized that after talking to them and is going with an external pre-amp. I am still curious is the fader and l/r would be an alternative strategy

The fader is post recording affecting the output of the recording, so I do not see how that would work.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #110 on: August 18, 2017, 04:21:01 PM »

The fader is post recording affecting the output of the recording, so I do not see how that would work.

I looked at the flow diagram and its going to be more awkward than I thought.

I stream from the F8 by changing the output routing so its only sending the channels I want to stream. I was thinking that when you record the L/R channel you could do the same thing but you can't. All armed tracks go into the L/R mix.

I've never cared about the L/R mix, so I've never thought about this before,  but if you turn on recording of L/R and then turn the fader to 0 db for all tracks except five and six does the L/R mix recording only have whats coming through on five and six?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 04:22:44 PM by rippleish20 »

Offline heathen

« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2017, 03:50:52 PM »
Running a pair of mics through a CA 9200 preamp into the 5/6 input, what gain setting should I use for the 5/6 input?  The choices are −10 dBV and +4 dBu.  This would be for loud amplified shows.

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #112 on: October 10, 2017, 06:36:45 PM »
^ Depends on the sensitivity of the mics and the SPLs, but probably the +4 dBu is better for loud rock. Check the chart on Sengpiel...

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #113 on: November 24, 2017, 05:28:58 AM »
Black Friday Deal: The Zoom F4 is $499:

https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-F4-Multitrack-Field-Recorder/dp/B01KZHQWY0

Damn, what a bargain! I spent more than that, but don't regret a single penny of it.

Offline heathen

« Reply #114 on: December 26, 2017, 03:28:49 PM »

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2018, 01:54:37 AM »
Just got notified B&H has a Zoom F4 for $420 daily deal.

Pounce on it! Is the golden perfect recorder for any one to start out on, and that is unbelievably cheap.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1260110-REG/zoom_zf4_f4_multitack_field_recorder.html

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #116 on: October 04, 2018, 01:57:40 PM »
Greetings F4 thread! I'm thinking about buying one of these - how is the battery life w/ AA's and/or the battery pack? Are there different battery pack options?

Thanks!

Offline heathen

« Reply #117 on: October 04, 2018, 02:20:27 PM »
Greetings F4 thread! I'm thinking about buying one of these - how is the battery life w/ AA's and/or the battery pack? Are there different battery pack options?

Thanks!

I've only used the Talentcell battery that is regularly recommended for the F4 and F8, and it basically lasts forever.

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2018, 03:00:01 AM »
Zoom F4 on sale for $350

And I thought US$350 for a *secondhand* Zoom F4 I've been seeing on eBay was crazy cheap.

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_154261401026713&key=8bcacfaa034c0b4a66a6e2547b5154f2&libId=joo0jkz001000axm000DAfggtzky0&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dvxuser.com%2FV6%2Fshowthread.php%3F362593-Zoom-F4-on-sale-for-350&v=1&out=https%3A%2F%2Flink.bandh.com%2FYesConnect%2FHtmlMessagePreview%3Fw8XpwUPMGaUepsq58jSBtBOdJrMIPb9eAL6m2SPh96E%3D.enc&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dvxuser.com%2FV6%2Fforumdisplay.php%3F29-Location-Sound-Post-Audio&title=Zoom F4 on sale for %24350&txt=https%3A%2F%2Flink.bandh.com%2FYesConnect%2FHt...6m2SPh96E%3D.enc

The first $100 off is the typical “Instant Savings”, & the second $100 discount is also applied instantly, but requires the Promo Code (which is 15535343757788641). Someone reported that they were not able to apply the Promo Code online, & had to call the store to get the deal.

Offer expires 11/20/18 11:59 EST

I imagine the deal means the F4n is in the works.

Hope that means a firmware update with the F4n goodies is also coming for the F4 a few months after the F4n is released... I want automix / advanced hybrid limiters / better headphone preamp on my F4 with the F8 v5 style firmware update!!

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #119 on: March 02, 2019, 12:48:10 PM »
Hi all,

Zoom released firmware V3.0:

https://www.zoom.co.jp/news/F4-update_v3

- Advanced Look-Ahead Hybrid Limiters: cool! I need that - steam whistles can go off anytime

- Zoom AutoMix™ function

- Recording to SD card and USB simultaneously

- Headphone boost - should improve levels on low efficiency headphones

Seems Zoom gives the F8 improvements to us F4 users with a slight delay. Very nice!

Greetings,

Rainer

recording steam trains since 1985

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #120 on: March 26, 2019, 07:53:57 PM »
Started a Team board for these recorders: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=189986.0
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.379 seconds with 149 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com