Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Two devices of 1 tekkeon?  (Read 12299 times)

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
Two devices of 1 tekkeon?
« on: June 09, 2010, 12:52:36 PM »
So I have a tekkeon on the way.  My question is can I build a spliter to run my v3 & pmd661 off of one tekkeon battery at the 6v setting?  Also can I run the pmd661 off of the 5v USB out on the tekkeon?  I will know soon enough when it's in my hands but just wanted to know if anyone has tried these possibilities.

Opps, the PMD-661 is a 5v Device.  Still would like to know if you can run two devices of the same voltage of of one battery with a spliter cable.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 02:02:07 PM by tgakidis »
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Two devices of 1 tekkeon?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 02:50:38 PM »
I have the same question about running 2 devices off of a Wally World 9 volt. I'm wondering if I could run my EAA-PSP2 and Tascam DR-680 off of the same battery.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 03:07:46 PM »
So I have a tekkeon on the way.  My question is can I build a spliter to run my v3 & pmd661 off of one tekkeon battery at the 6v setting?  Also can I run the pmd661 off of the 5v USB out on the tekkeon?  I will know soon enough when it's in my hands but just wanted to know if anyone has tried these possibilities.

Opps, the PMD-661 is a 5v Device.  Still would like to know if you can run two devices of the same voltage of of one battery with a spliter cable.

What's the mA draw on the pmd? (why not use the USB out if the PMD will function on 1mA) which would solve the problem. (ala V3 & MT2 off of the single battery)
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 09:48:56 AM »
I run a V-3, AD2K+, R-44 and MT2 all off one Tekkeon 3450 double battery with a custom cable shoepsnbox made me.
All at 12 volts (the MT2 runs off the usb port) I have a 6 volt V-3, but Grace told me to run this way...just a little extra heat.

Get 5-6 hours with this setup.

At Mountain Jam, i ran just the V-3 and R-44 off of it and got 15 hours the first day!! Thats right, i taped from noon
till 3:00 am without shutting anything down. Nice!
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 12:26:36 PM »
At Mountain Jam, i ran just the V-3 and R-44 off of it and got 15 hours the first day!! Thats right, i taped from noon

Nice!!!  Was that with 2mics or 4mics receiving phantom?  Either way, that's great!
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 12:54:23 PM »

Nice!!!  Was that with 2mics or 4mics receiving phantom?  Either way, that's great!

2 mics, phantom on the V-3, digi-in to R-44
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline jibooer

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Searching for the perfect jam...
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 01:37:55 PM »
Ted, I'd go with the Tekkeon double battery idea, as long as you can make yerself a cable that will power the two as the USB on the 661 does not provide power. Just the single battery pack will power the 661 for 15+ hours.  In addition you'll never have to buy another battery! Maybe this can be a new custom GAKable?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 01:41:49 PM by jibooer »
Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL
Pres: Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2
Cables: GAKables exclusively, AKG MK46, Naiant PFA's
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-44
CPU for DSP: Toshiba Satellite A660 i7 > audioengineD1
Cans: ATH-50
VINYL: Rega Planar 3 > Rega Brio-R > Wharfedale EVO2-30

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 03:29:19 PM »
Ted, I'd go with the Tekkeon double battery idea, as long as you can make yerself a cable that will power the two as the USB on the 661 does not provide power.

But will the 5v in on the 661 accept 1ma or less? If it requires 2ma (for example), then my idea of hacking a usb cable to go from the tekkeon to the 661 is shot as you'd just be getting 1ma out of it.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 03:57:54 PM »
Ted, I'd go with the Tekkeon double battery idea, as long as you can make yerself a cable that will power the two as the USB on the 661 does not provide power.

But will the 5v in on the 661 accept 1ma or less? If it requires 2ma (for example), then my idea of hacking a usb cable to go from the tekkeon to the 661 is shot as you'd just be getting 1ma out of it.

The USB out of the tekkeon seems to provide enough power to run my 661 or R09-HR with one of my usb > "b" tip power cables.  I plan to do a longer test to make sure.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 05:53:05 PM »
Normally, a gizmo with a 5V USB host port (such as a computer) can be expected to supply up to 500ma (1/2 an amp).  That is a published USB standard.  I've got a little battery brick with USB ports on it, and I use it to power an H120 or a MR1.  The recorders have their own internal battery so this brick "helps keep them charged."  When you boot up the recorder and the hard drive starts to spin up, it uses more than the 500ma (MR1 is quoted as more than 1 amp), but the recorder's internal battery makes up the difference in the short run.  If you have a device without an internal battery, and you are JUST running it off the USB port you have no built in shock absorber, and depending on the device you might exceed that 500ma rating and it might drop out.  Hard to know until you try it.

Then there is the whole "ground loop" consideration...  I see it mostly in industrial equipment.  I doubt it's an issue here, just pointing out that when you take 2 devices that aren't at a common ground, and you decide to tie them to a common ground, you create a potential problem (no pun intended).  This is the main reason I don't try to run different stuff off the same battery.

This is all generic, and none of this specifically pertains to the Tekkeon, but I expect the same rules apply.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline AHappyHourHero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • "sharon, what the fuck is a Beiber?!?" -Ozzy
    • my recent recordings
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 08:57:36 PM »
Joe brings up a valid argument about ground loops when running two devices from the same battery.  Once I got the Tekkeon, I immediately went to work on a Y-cable to supply power to both my 660 and h4n.  My goal was to leave the bulk of the rechargeable AA's at home, and un-tether myself form the battery charging electrician job.  I can confirm that in the case I have, there is ground loop noise, and quite bad.  I am able to cleanly power the two using the USB power option in addition to the DC switchable output, but as Joe also stated, the need to keep AA's in the units to act as a buffer is a precaution that I use.  Neither decks have a spinning HDD, so start-up current is not a major issue, but I do not want to test the circuitry too often.
Ted manufactures custom cables to support multiple units from a common external battery, using a black box in the circuit that I will assume is a form of isolation circuit to prevent the ground loop issues.  You can find his very professional cables on the Retail space thread on here.  I have seen Ted's work in person, as well as his new addition to the Stone Church (in pictures only so far), and can attest to his fine craftsmanship.  There is no worries in having Ted manufacture a cable for your equipment.  If I wasn't such a DIY guy, with a desie to learn new things, I would have had him build me one already :)
Best practices apply:  use balanced, shielded cables whenever possible, keep unbalanced as short as possible, check your battery voltages from time to time, and keep all hands in feet in the bus at ALL times.
"Christopher, it's a thin line between taper and stalker" - Adam Terrell

Busman BSC1 (K11, K2, K3, K4) > PMD 660 (Busman mod)
Nakamichi CM-300 (non-mod) > MX-100/ART usb pre > (CP-1, CP-2, CP-4 guns) > Zoom h4n

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 08:59:38 PM »
I'll just chip in to say "what he said" :)
The right thing to do is isolate the two devices from each other.

...but when I first got my (ridiculously immortal) battery geek battery, I immediately hacked up a straight-up splitter cable and have been using it ever since with my v2 through several deck evolutions, running at 12v.

(The difference between a 6v and 12v grace pre is only what the low battery light is set to react to - v2/v3's run off anything from 6v to 12v and probably beyond.)

Offline taperj

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 07:25:25 PM »
I have run a Korg MR-1(5V) off of the USB side and simultaneously run a mixpre on 9v off of the swichable side many times. This, I believe, also keeps them isolated. I would think you could run any 5V device off of the USB side and run whatever else off of the switchable side. This was done on a MP-3450, battery life is long.

edit: Ah, I see AHappyHourHero already mentioned this. My apologies for restating.

J
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 07:31:48 PM by taperj »
Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Just ask the axis, he knows everything.

Offline jibooer

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Searching for the perfect jam...
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 10:18:35 PM »
I can confirm that running a UA-5 9v out tekkeon + 5v USB running a PMD-661 (24/48,coax) gives me over 7 hrs on a single, and over 15 hrs on a double, with no line noise that I can discern. The GAKusb makes it happen. ;D
Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL
Pres: Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2
Cables: GAKables exclusively, AKG MK46, Naiant PFA's
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-44
CPU for DSP: Toshiba Satellite A660 i7 > audioengineD1
Cans: ATH-50
VINYL: Rega Planar 3 > Rega Brio-R > Wharfedale EVO2-30

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 07:28:42 PM »

What's the mA draw on the pmd? (why not use the USB out if the PMD will function on 1mA) which would solve the problem. (ala V3 & MT2 off of the single battery)

Just checked this thread now...

The PMD661 itself is rated for 5 VDC at 1.4A which is 1400mA. 

The AC Adapter unit that Marantz included is rated for 5V at 1.5A which leaves room to spare.

I have run with a hacked USB to Marantz plug before but will stick to the Tekkeon cable to eliminate any potential limitations that could pop up from USB spec current limitations.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 07:48:20 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com