Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Can't open Sony PCM M10 with Windows 10  (Read 4611 times)

Offline jerrycannon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Can't open Sony PCM M10 with Windows 10
« on: April 22, 2016, 08:05:16 PM »
Anyone else have this problem? How do I fix this?

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Qualified
Re: Can't open Sony PCM M10 with Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 08:19:36 PM »
It should open like any other usb mass storage device. Is it prompting you to select what you would like to do when the device is connected (open and view files, import media, etc)?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 10:06:25 AM by larrysellers »

Offline jerrycannon

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 08:55:24 PM »
No it is not. It also takes a long time for the device to even show.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 10:37:49 PM »
Are you connecting the M10 with the comp already on? If so try rebooting with the M10 already connected and turned on. W10 may have an easier time recognizing the device that way. If the M10 is connected and powered on when you boot the comp then try booting the comp with the M10 disconnected.

Note I don't use W10 but way back when, W98 or 2000 I don't recall at the moment might have even been XP, I had two JB3s, one had to be connected and powered on for the comp to recognize it quickly, the other was just the opposite. Finally sharpied the boot order on the  JB3s so I wasn't having to reboot to get the comp to recognize the devices quickly.

Offline jerrycannon

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 11:56:00 PM »
I will give that a try.

Offline rhinowing

• SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 01:21:47 PM »
can you just take the card out and pop that directly into your cpu?
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 01:40:50 PM »
You need to narrow the variables to find what's causing the problem, and I think we need more information in order to help you:

Did you try different miniUSB cables?  Plugging into different USB ports on the computer?

Did the M10 mount OK with a previous operating system on this same computer, or have you only used Windows 10 on this computer?  You could try mounting it on another Win10 system to see if the behavior is any different.

Do other USB storage devices (flash drives, etc.) take a while to show up when plugged into that same USB port?

When is the last time you formatted your M10 internal storage and expansion card?  If there is corruption in the file system it may make things sluggish or not work at all.

I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline nassau73

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 01:19:52 PM »
When I first installed Win 10 on this originally Win 7 machine, I had to do alot of troubleshooting.

One problem I didn't run into but read about was that folks were having an issue where their Win 10 install did not recognize their Western Digital external drives when the drives were connected to a USB 3 port. Their issue was resolved when they connected to a USB 2 port instead. As voltronic mentioned, you might give another port a try.

Another avenue you can follow is go back to the microsoft compatibility check and see if anything installed on your machine is possibly causing an issue.

Sounds weird but when I first installed Win 10, there were no incompatibility issues found. However, the system was very unstable. About a month after my install and many crashes and manual shutdowns, microsoft reported that the Netgear Genie software was found to be incompatible. I uninstalled that software and have not had an issue since.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 08:44:41 PM »
Odd problem, tho I'm still W7.  My M10s don't have to be on to have W7 find them as a device.  It will be interesting to see how this resolves.  Good Luck.

I was on W7 until a few days ago when I upgraded to W10, but when I had W7, my M10s did the same as yours Ben :) I don't ever recall having to turn the M10s ON to have my W7 machine find and open the M10 folders! Just plugged in the USB cable and the M10 would boot up! But I recently sold my last M10, so I cant test to see how it does on my W10 machine! But it seems that EVERY program that I had before the W7>W10 upgrade, is still functioning perfectly AFTER the W10 update :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com