Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: V2 help NOW Please!  (Read 3978 times)

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
V2 help NOW Please!
« on: May 27, 2012, 10:36:51 PM »
Will the recording be distorted if I'm flashing red on every strong tom hit? I'm running an attenuator to the recorder with fine levels.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Re: V2 help NOW Please!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 11:07:38 PM »
whats the value for red flashing again? The V2 overloads at +27dbu or close to that IIRC.

edit: from the manual:
PEAK INDICATOR The LED peak indicator, which monitors the signal between the input
and output amplifiers, illuminates the green LED at -14dBu and illuminates the red LED at
+16dB (10dB before clipping).

« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 11:09:09 PM by page »
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 11:34:27 PM »
From the V2 manual

PEAK INDICATOR The LED peak indicator, which monitors the signal between the input
and output amplifiers, illuminates the green LED at -14dBu and illuminates the red LED at
+16dB (10dB before clipping).
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline achalsey

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 02:00:03 AM »
Cool, thanks guys.  Just got back from the show.  Would have looked it up myself but don't have a fancy phone so had to ask my mom to post a straight forward question for me and relay the message.   :P

Figured out it flashed red at about -13 on the recorder and the recorder was peaking at about -9 so I'm hoping I avoided clipping.  Thank god for the super hot signal the V2 can take.  Sensitive mics onstage at a super loud show got me worried with red flashing consistently.  Looks like it pulled through though.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 10:24:02 AM »
Figured out it flashed red at about -13 on the recorder and the recorder was peaking at about -9 so I'm hoping I avoided clipping.  Thank god for the super hot signal the V2 can take.  Sensitive mics onstage at a super loud show got me worried with red flashing consistently.  Looks like it pulled through though.

how much gain did you run on the V2?
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline achalsey

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 12:18:14 PM »
First set step gain was at the lowest setting (+10), trim at 0, so +10 altogether, with a -20db attenuator to the recorder.  Was peaking on the recorder around -21 db.  Second set turned the trim all the way down, so zero gain altogether, but took the attenuator off (and moved the mics back to the very edge of the stage a couple feet back from where they were first set).  Was peaking on the recorder around -9 db.

Got the first set done last night and doesn't seem to be distorted not distorted, I mean clipped, though honestly I don't really know what I'm listening for.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 12:20:43 PM by achalsey »

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 02:08:34 PM »
no worries, I was just trying to figure out what the signal entering the V2 was to see how close that came to overloading the mics.

Offline achalsey

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 02:37:56 PM »
Like I said, from what I could tell the red led was coming on at around -13 on the recorder second set.  And with the recorder peaking around -9 so I assume the V2 signal was peaking at around +20?  Not sure if those two db figures, recorder and preamp, are the same kind of signal or correlate like that though.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 03:40:33 PM »
Like I said, from what I could tell the red led was coming on at around -13 on the recorder second set.  And with the recorder peaking around -9 so I assume the V2 signal was peaking at around +20?  Not sure if those two db figures, recorder and preamp, are the same kind of signal or correlate like that though.

the missing figure is max in for 0dbfs on the recorder. If you know that you can figure back to the mics

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 08:57:52 PM »
And using no "trim" on the v2, is actually attenuating, thats why everyone runs their v2's "trim" at MAX[0db gain]

Now on the v3 the trim is ACTUALLY "trim" and can add/take away gain and IS NOT an attenuator ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com