Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie questions about JB3, patching, etc.  (Read 2446 times)

Offline aseachangethis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Newbie questions about JB3, patching, etc.
« on: March 15, 2004, 10:52:22 PM »
Hey Everyone,

I am a complete newbie with taping, and I'd like to jump into the game.  I can't really afford that much, so I figured I would start just learning how to patch into a rig for recording.  From what I have learned from reading this board, the Nomad JB3 is pretty good for storage and such, and can function similar to a DAT recorder.  I was wondering, if I purchased a JB3, what else I would need for recording.  I am assuming that the JB3 doesn't transfer with 7 pin cables, so I was wondering what I needed.  Do I need anything past cables to patch into a rig?  What is the recommended etiquette for asking for a patch?  

Also, some somewhat unrelated questions to show taping about the JB3.  I am a composition major at Oberlin College, and need a way to cheaply tape pieces.  Most people here use MD recorders with the small MD stereo mics.  I was wondering if I can use the JB3 the same way to record direct from those mics like a MD recorder.  Thanks for all of the help!

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
Re:Newbie questions about JB3, patching, etc.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 11:05:51 PM »
Hey Everyone,

I am a complete newbie with taping, and I'd like to jump into the game.  I can't really afford that much, so I figured I would start just learning how to patch into a rig for recording.  From what I have learned from reading this board, the Nomad JB3 is pretty good for storage and such, and can function similar to a DAT recorder.  I was wondering, if I purchased a JB3, what else I would need for recording.  I am assuming that the JB3 doesn't transfer with 7 pin cables, so I was wondering what I needed.  Do I need anything past cables to patch into a rig?  What is the recommended etiquette for asking for a patch?  
The JB3 will do you well.  You are correct in that it doesn't take Sony's weird 7 pin cable.  It just takes a normal optical cable with a toslink > mini toslink adapter on the end.  Most people will recommend you get an adapter that is right-angled.  You just need cables and your jb3 to patch into someone else's rig.

Also, some somewhat unrelated questions to show taping about the JB3.  I am a composition major at Oberlin College, and need a way to cheaply tape pieces.  Most people here use MD recorders with the small MD stereo mics.  I was wondering if I can use the JB3 the same way to record direct from those mics like a MD recorder.  Thanks for all of the help!
You can use the JB3 in a similar fashion, but it will be much easier for you to transfer your recording.  Depending on what you're doing you may find that you want a batt box/preamp in front of the JB3.  Check out www.soundprofessionals.com for small mics and batt boxes.
Mike

Offline aseachangethis

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 11:08:45 PM »
Thanks a lot!

What exactly is a toslink > mini toslink adapter, and where is a good place to get one?  Thanks.

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 11:10:54 PM »
Thanks a lot!

What exactly is a toslink > mini toslink adapter, and where is a good place to get one?  Thanks.

It's just a little adapter, I got mine from ebay for $5 shipped.  Good luck and +T!
Mike

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 11:19:51 PM »
get a JB3 maybe w/ an extra battery.
a couple of cables.  mini-mini stereo, Rca to mini Y cable. and a toskink to mini optical cable (or toslink to toslink w/ a mini adapter)

Depending on the available outputs in the TS, that should keep you covered and be a good starting point to get a rig going while catching some tapes as you go and see what other folks are doing/using.

+t for coming to the right place
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 11:37:43 PM »
Mike

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2004, 01:17:34 AM »
also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a hosa box.   the 276 - spdif>optical.  this way if you're patching from a v3, or anything else with digi out, you'll be able to convert to optical.  pictures here (bottom of page)of what it will look like, except the feed will be coax, not aes.

jr
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 01:18:24 AM by John R »
we all live downstream.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com