Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Piano, Omni's or Card's?  (Read 3261 times)

Offline AT853rxwh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
Piano, Omni's or Card's?
« on: May 22, 2004, 08:51:05 AM »
Have been volunteered to record a piano recital  ::)

Should I use omni's or cards?  

I can set up discreetly on the piano, but would I be better off front row?  

ideas?
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

jpschust

Re:Piano, Omni's or Card's?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004, 10:09:21 AM »
if a direct recording, then use the omnis close to the strings...mmm omnis :-)

jpschust

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2004, 10:35:58 AM »
moke, can you say that phrase again?  man  i miss hearing that in my life

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2004, 12:42:16 PM »
+T Guys!  That site is great info!  The options for recording directly above is a nogo, but first second isle should be doable...  I will prolly go with the cards if I have to go there so I can quiet down the crowd noise...

With running the cards will I lose a lot of the room ambience?
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 01:17:55 PM »
I have a recording from the sweet spot of a soloist playing Rondo a Cappriccio Opus 129, but the noise floor was too high on the omni's that I used, thankfully I was able to rescue it with Sound Forge...  Was hoping that my UA-5 and Superlux's were here, but they didn't arrive so it will be AT853's (flying white mics!)  for this...  As most of these kids will not be that good I could prolly just use a plaskool recorder but at least it is good practice...

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2004, 04:45:54 PM »
great practice!!

It went well with the cards.  I ran the level a bit lower than I should have, but I figured I could always fix it, vs it clipping.  
The range was -30db to -3db so I think I kept it reasonable... Running it through sound forge to normalize it now...

I was able to set up about 8' from the piano on stage with the mics aimed at the open piano top.  Seems to have given it a nice full sound...

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2004, 05:59:27 PM »
way better to be safe than sorry!
the piano can eat you alive!!

what config?

:coolguy:

AT853 (ortf) > ad20 > njb3

Piano is a good reason for running a RNC compressor...   Wish I could figure a way to run it battery...  

jpschust

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2004, 06:03:33 PM »
mmmm rnc... yummy

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2004, 12:32:12 AM »
Piano is a beast... Capable of sounds almost inaudible all the way up to 130spl or higher....

If you can master recording piano, you can record ANYTHING I think...

That being said, that website really helped tame the beast, I came away with a recording that we are going to be able to put on CD and make the kid's parents/relatives happy...

Actually got to hear a few of em that could really play too.  All in all came out pretty well...  

Offline tooldvn

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Music is the movement of sound to reach the soul.
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2004, 02:44:36 AM »
Note to self: don't post whilst stoned.  I totally just posted about a battery in this thread.

However, I just setup a grand piano and did just what dpa univ said to and it turned out great.  So I guess I was able to salvage a response.

-dvn
« Last Edit: May 23, 2004, 02:53:12 AM by tooldvn »
DPA 4061²  &  AKG 61/63

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2004, 07:11:25 AM »
Note to self: don't post whilst stoned.  I totally just posted about a battery in this thread.

However, I just setup a grand piano and did just what dpa univ said to and it turned out great.  So I guess I was able to salvage a response.

-dvn

I checked DPA university and they do not indicate which direction a wook will spin when stoned.  Is it like when you flush?  Clockwise counter clockwise?  Enquiring minds want to know...

jpschust

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2004, 10:15:59 AM »
mike, that's because you are looking in the wrong place.  information like that is either on the incidentalist or over on phishhook

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2004, 12:43:14 AM »
Piano is a beast... Capable of sounds almost inaudible all the way up to 130spl or higher....

If you can master recording piano, you can record ANYTHING I think...

That being said, that website really helped tame the beast, I came away with a recording that we are going to be able to put on CD and make the kid's parents/relatives happy...

Actually got to hear a few of em that could really play too.  All in all came out pretty well...  

try doing a pipe organ- it's the only time I clipped the ad500 so hard that the recording was unsalvageable.  Thank God it was during the rehearsal, though.
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com