Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Left mic clips and is staticy, but right mic is fine?  (Read 6695 times)

Offline Argitoth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Left mic clips and is staticy, but right mic is fine?
« on: February 15, 2008, 07:47:32 PM »
no longer looking for help here, see my last post.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 11:26:34 PM by Argitoth »

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Left mic clips and is staticy, but right mic is fine?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 07:11:52 AM »
Frankly your description of the equipment and its hookup is so vague that it is difficult to help you. I went to the Web site that you mentioned but I don't see a Sennheiser binaural microphone there. If you would list the specific models of your microphone and preamp, a person who is trying to help you could get their specifications.

So, some basic questions: What is the preamp? Can you control its gain (amount of amplification)? Was its gain the same for both channels? Does the recorder have both mike and line inputs, and if so, which ones were you using? What is the sensitivity and the maximum SPL of your microphones? How loud was the music that you were recording? How much voltage can your preamp take in without being overloaded? How much can it put out? Were you running the preamp on batteries and if so, were both batteries fresh? Does the preamp provide exactly the kind of powering which your microphones require?

Why do you use a Y connector between the preamp and the recorder--is it simply because the preamp has a combined stereo output while the recorder has separate left and right inputs? If that's the case, did you try swapping the left and right cables and recording with the channels reversed, to see whether the problem went over to the other channel or not?

Have you used this same set of equipment before and did it work properly? If not, have you used some part of it (e.g. just the recorder, or just the microphones plus preamp) before--and if so, what was different this time?

That sort of thing.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Argitoth

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 08:16:56 AM »
I edited my first post. Please make sure you download the zip in listen carefully to the sound files. Some of your questions are anwered there.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 08:23:28 AM by Argitoth »

Offline Argitoth

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 12:35:47 AM »
over a week and no help?

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 12:58:54 AM »
over a week and no help?
Not sure whats up w/ the static but the sample you have as clipping and the wav form looks alright to me. Usually w/ clipping or over loading the wav form goes square at the top and bottom and not spiked. Guesses on the static could be any thing from batteries, bad cables, to some kind of unshielded or no ground static. Test your equipment in a control setting and check and switch out cables or batteries etc until you have proven its not one of the other elements. Good luck
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline Argitoth

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 02:26:01 AM »
the sample you have as clipping and the wav form looks alright to me.
I'm truely amazed that you think the waveform looks normal.  ::)

RED is Left Channel
WHITE is Right Channel
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 02:47:15 AM by Argitoth »

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 01:44:57 PM »
the sample you have as clipping and the wav form looks alright to me.
I'm truely amazed that you think the waveform looks normal.  ::)

RED is Left Channel
WHITE is Right Channel

Alright I did not notice that the first time but I was looking at the shape of the wav form. More important what are you trying to record and what do you have the gain set at? Line in or mic in? What are the specs of your gear? You could be limited by your gear and what your trying to record.
PEace
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 02:30:12 PM »
The flat bottom of the left channel that's well below clipping level looks like a DC offset problem. What causes it and how to fix it I don't know.

I had one recording exhibit those characteristics. Ran it through Audacity and it's fix DC offest option and couldn't tell any difference. Since there were several other recordings of that show, I grabbed one of them and haven't worried about DC offset since. Mine was SBD>AD20>JB3. The soundboard let the smoke out later that tour so I attributted the problem to the board but I have no way of knowing if that was the real cause of the offset or not. Only time it's happened to me (also the only time I ran that source chain) and I wasn't curious enough to research causes and cures

Offline Argitoth

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 02:40:17 PM »
what are you trying to record
In this case, voice. You should *really* take some time to look over the first post before you try to offer help.

Line in or mic in?
See first post. When I'm using a pre-amp I'm obviously not using onboard power.

What are the specs of your gear?
See first post.

You could be limited by your gear and what your trying to record.
False. I didn't pay $250 for mics and $700 for a Korg MR-1 just to be unable to record voice at normal volumes. Please look over first post.

The flat bottom of the left channel that's well below clipping level looks like a DC offset problem.
This is not a DC offset problem. a DC offset is when the 0-crossing of the waveform is above or where it should be. The waveform's 0-crossing in this case is not offset.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 02:42:05 PM by Argitoth »

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 03:19:07 PM »
In this case, voice. You should *really* take some time to look over the first post before you try to offer help.

Line in or mic in?

See first post.

False. I didn't pay $250 for mics and $700 for a Korg MR-1 just to be unable to record voice at normal volumes. Please look over first post.

The flat bottom of the left channel that's well below clipping level looks like a DC offset problem.
This is not a DC offset problem. a DC offset is when the 0-crossing of the waveform is above or where it should be. The waveform's 0-crossing in this case is not offset.
How do you figure jsut because you are using a preamp doesn't mean your using line in or mic in? Channel 1,2,3, and 4 on my R4 I have the chose to use line in or mic in. Also I heard your voice samples but what about technique? How are you capturing the sound? How close? where is the mic compared to the mouth etc? Just trying to help break down your problem because this is what I do when I have a problem is go piece by piece until I can prove some thing is not at fault. Sorry for the helping hand next time I will just crawl back in my cave.
Peace
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 04:32:07 PM »
Since I have seen at least four five edited versions of your first post, your first post obviously (to everybody but you) doesn't present enough information in a manner for anyone to provide you with a useful answer.

The only further advice I can offer is that you read the following:
http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html .

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 05:50:43 PM »
Quote from: rowjimmytour on Today at 12:44:57 PM

The first post does not state this, and of the edits I've seen, never has. Providing a link to a zip file is not the same as providing the info that someone asked you to provide.

Line in or mic in?

What does on-board power have to do with line in or mic in? Some equipment provides plug-in power, some doesn't. Not everyone is familiar with every piece of equipment, including the equipment you are using.

See first post.

Why should I download something? Why should I click links to help you solve a problem? Why don't you provide enough information so others may be able to help without having to go looking for information that would have been helpful if included in your first post?

I don't think cost of the gear has a direct influence on the problem you are having. What does cost of gear have to do with the first post?

So the only thing I noticed with your waveform isn't the problem. I don't have anyhting to add that will directly help with your problem. I can only offer a word of advice, make it as easy as possible for those who might be able to help you have enough information so that they can help you.

While you have added more information with each edit, every edit has screamed (ALL CAPS) for us to download a file rather than having the info provided in your posts. Perhaps someone else will be able to help. I don't think I can. Have you replaced each link in your recording chain, one at a time, in order to eliminate probable causes? Since you think the problem may be a bad recorder, have you successfully recorded with the rest of the equipment to a different recorder?

Why do you have such an aversion to answering questions and providing more information?

You may be frustrated that no one has been able to tell you what is wrong and why it occurred. Can you understand that we may be just as frustrated with your lack of providing information/answering questions that may be useful in allowing others to help?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 05:53:52 PM by flipp »

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 06:06:55 PM »
Quote from: rowjimmytour on Today at 12:44:57 PM

The first post does not state this, and of the edits I've seen, never has. Providing a link to a zip file is not the same as providing the info that someone asked you to provide.

Line in or mic in?

What does on-board power have to do with line in or mic in? Some equipment provides plug-in power, some doesn't. Not everyone is familiar with every piece of equipment, including the equipment you are using.

See first post.

Why should I download something? Why should I click links to help you solve a problem? Why don't you provide enough information so others may be able to help without having to go looking for information that would have been helpful if included in your first post?

I don't think cost of the gear has a direct influence on the problem you are having. What does cost of gear have to do with the first post?

So the only thing I noticed with your waveform isn't the problem. I don't have anyhting to add that will directly help with your problem. I can only offer a word of advice, make it as easy as possible for those who might be able to help you have enough information so that they can help you.

While you have added more information with each edit, every edit has screamed (ALL CAPS) for us to download a file rather than having the info provided in your posts. Perhaps someone else will be able to help. I don't think I can. Have you replaced each link in your recording chain, one at a time, in order to eliminate probable causes? Since you think the problem may be a bad recorder, have you successfully recorded with the rest of the equipment to a different recorder?

Why do you have such an aversion to answering questions and providing more information?

You may be frustrated that no one has been able to tell you what is wrong and why it occurred. Can you understand that we may be just as frustrated with your lack of providing information/answering questions that may be useful in allowing others to help?
Me think this guy suffers a classic case of the oleg syndrome. Bip, bip.
Peace
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 06:27:03 PM »
Download the zip!!! It has wav files and images.
Link here: elan_hickler_recording.zip

Other Info:
-So far I've tried 2 Y-connectors: from RadioShack and from Microphone Madness.
-Microphone Madness claims that other Korg MR-1 users are not having trouble.
-Microphone Madness has confirmed that the mics I am using are perfectly fine after I sent them in for inspection.
-My guess is that I may have a bad Korg. I have yet to truely test other mics.

Microphone --> Pre-amp --> Y connector --> Handheld Recorder

RED is Left Channel
WHITE is Right Channel

I think the first thing to do would be plug a pair of headphones into your preamp output and see if the noise comes from your Preamp/mic. If the static is there its not your recorder. The second bit of advice is to lose the TUDE. There are some very experienced tapers in this thread trying to help you. If you get no noise then try the stock mic that comes with the korg and plug in the headphones into your recorder and see if you can hear the same noise. This will narrow things down and will enable others to help you with your problem.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 06:30:36 PM »
Download the zip!!! It has wav files and images.
Link here: elan_hickler_recording.zip

Other Info:
-So far I've tried 2 Y-connectors: from RadioShack and from Microphone Madness.
-Microphone Madness claims that other Korg MR-1 users are not having trouble.
-Microphone Madness has confirmed that the mics I am using are perfectly fine after I sent them in for inspection.
-My guess is that I may have a bad Korg. I have yet to truely test other mics.

Microphone --> Pre-amp --> Y connector --> Handheld Recorder

RED is Left Channel
WHITE is Right Channel

BTW its a good thing you have all these BIG PICTURES US FOR US DUMB PEOPLE we would never be able to understand what a korg MR-1 was... Man you are not starting off very well here.  ::)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com