Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: V3/P48....  (Read 4091 times)

Offline T140V

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • get in groove and let the good times roll!
V3/P48....
« on: May 16, 2014, 01:47:53 PM »
Does leaving the P48 on when taking a SBD feed screw up ones recording? I took an XLR board patch last night into the analog inputs on the V3, then AES>S/PDIF>PMD661.....levels were crazy weird right from the get go and the music is very distant for lack of a better term. I realized I forgot to turn off P48....thoughts? I'm thinking it was just another shitty board feed and I shoulda just ran the mics as I normally would. :-\
then: Nak 300's>D6/Pmd430  now: AKG 460/ck63, ck8>OCM R4 Pro

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
Re: V3/P48....
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 01:52:52 PM »
You definitely do not want to supply P48 to a board feed. It's good practice (IMO) to turn your P48 switches to the OFF position after each use, especially if you ever plan on running board feeds through the unit.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

markrsmith

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 05:30:18 PM »
TVA,
 was this for CRB?

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 09:21:42 AM »
I've heard that whole soundboards have been fried because a taper fed phantom power back into the board.  I've seen a case where it fried the aux out, so we no longer were able to get a feed from that board. We should all be careful not to accidentally feed phantom power where it doesn't belong.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 09:27:13 AM by SmokinJoe »
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 10:39:22 AM »
I've heard that whole soundboards have been fried because a taper fed phantom power back into the board.  I've seen a case where it fried the aux out, so we no longer were able to get a feed from that board. We should all be careful not to accidentally feed phantom power where it doesn't belong.

Pretty sure there was a Govt Mule show shutdown due to a taper turning phantom on...

Sorry - gotta throw out a big eye-roll to the dude who owns a V3 and hasn't a clue what he's doing...and is more worried about his recording than fucking up the PA.

::)

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 01:00:29 PM »
Eye Roll? Fuck that, this is infuriating. I wish I could reach through the internet and punch OP.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 04:05:23 PM »
Everything I could say has been said already--except that if people got angry with me for all the things I've failed to pay proper attention to over the years, I'd have been beaten into dust long ago. So I'm slightly more forgiving of the original poster. It probably never occurred to him that he could cause damage--so, although we know better, it's not entirely fair to blame him for not thinking about that.

The risk is real, though. There was a whole article about this in the Journal of the Audio Engineering Society a few years back. The line outputs of most professional audio equipment simply can't handle 48 Volts, and that's not likely to change. If it were relatively easy to add effective protection without compromising the sound quality and driving capability of the output circuits, I'd agree that the sound board and other audio equipment manufacturers should all do it--but such is not the case.

So it is, and will remain, the responsibility whoever connects anything to the (actively driven) outputs of anything else to be 100% certain that no powering is applied to those outputs, unless they're the outputs of something designed for that type of powering.

--best regards
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 04:08:20 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 06:38:23 PM »
Hmm, yes, the JAES paper (Vol. 58, issue 3, March 2010) does seem to have been written by two people from THAT (Bortoni and Kirkwood). There is also a comment from David Josephson about the article on the AES' Web site.

But that article doesn't seem like what I was remembering, since it's mainly about possible damage to the input circuits of mike preamps under certain conditions--and I was remembering something more to the point of what we're actually discussing in this thread, which is the danger of phantom powering to active balanced outputs that are DC coupled. So I must have been thinking of some other article, or else tripping entirely. Using the search term "phantom," I can't find the article that I thought I was remembering on the AES' Web site. So I think I'll just sit down now ...
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 10:18:24 PM »
Slightly off topic, but one of the features I really liked about the Edirol UA-5 was that P48 turned off after every power-down and was turned on/off with a light-up push button.  It meant no accidental P48; you had to turn it on after power-up every time.

I wish newer preamps would utilize a similar system...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com