Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Upscaling DVD Players  (Read 3106 times)

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
Upscaling DVD Players
« on: January 15, 2007, 09:26:35 PM »
I ran out of inputs on my TV and can't hook up my DVD player via component (it's progressive but no HDMI output).  So I guess I'm in the market for an upscaling DVD player.  I've heard great things about the Oppo players (mostly from the avsforums), but I don't really want to spend $150 on one when others are half the price.

However a friend recently gave me a DVD to watch, and since I wasn't about to hook up my DVD player via composite cables I threw it in my XBox 360.  I was quite impressed at how nice it looked.  Does anyone know how the 360 rates as an upscaling dvd player?

So right now my debate is whether to get the Harmony remote that controls the 360 or a new DVD player.  Anyone have a recommendation?
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline jdawg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Upscaling DVD Players
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 10:29:29 PM »
I ended up getting a Sony DVP-NS75H.  Works like a champ for me. Bottom line, I wanted to be able to view dvd's (full screen) using the widescreen tv which maxes out at 1080i. I'm just using component cables for now.  I did order an hdmi cable from ebay ($2.59), however, it came ripped to schreds when I got it in the mail. Oh well. I'll try again sometime. Just don't want to spend those outrageous prices in stores for these cables.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 09:34:41 AM »
I ended up getting a Sony DVP-NS75H.  Works like a champ for me. Bottom line, I wanted to be able to view dvd's (full screen) using the widescreen tv which maxes out at 1080i. I'm just using component cables for now.  I did order an hdmi cable from ebay ($2.59), however, it came ripped to schreds when I got it in the mail. Oh well. I'll try again sometime. Just don't want to spend those outrageous prices in stores for these cables.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024002&p_id=2283&seq=1&format=2&style=

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 11:25:08 AM »
I ordered two cheap hdmi cables from ebay, both from the same ebay store, and eventhough they offered discounted shipping on the second item.  The guy wouldn't respond to my requests to combine the order.  So I wrote him a bit of a nasty note and told him I wouldn't be purchasing the item.

I found this instead
http://www.supermediastore.com/hdmi-to-hdmi-cable-3-meter-3pk.html?WT.mc_id=dealnews070112

three 10' cables for $24 shipped.

As for dvd player, I went with the brand new oppo that upconverts to 1080p.  It does a great job, and it's played everything I've thrown at it so for, even divx and xvid discs, along with sacd and dvd-a.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com