Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 audio recorder - NEW  (Read 174155 times)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Re: Sony PCM-M10 audio recorder - NEW
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2009, 08:34:01 AM »
i want to know if they've made the level knob tighter/harder to rotate in the M10. my biggest complaint with the D50 is that the level knob is very loose and when stealthing with it and putting it in my jeans pocket, after i've set the level where i want it, the level can easily get changed by the knob moving when sliding it in and out of pocket. it shouldn't be that sensitive/loose imo.

I'm with you 100% on that issue!  Have had to resort to small piece of electrical tape to keep it stable when stealthing...

This was also an issue with the D1.  Clear Scotch tape also works, and lets you verify that you haven't moved anything.

Jeff

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2009, 11:16:37 AM »
This was also an issue with the D1. 

Not completely a deal breaker for me, but definitely would make me reconsider getting an M10 if that is going to be an issue because I'm not down with taping down the dial.  :P

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2009, 12:57:20 PM »
I think it's high time we got some slim Chinese clones of the Sony remote selling for USD $50, Sony's RM-PCM1, that will most likely work with this model. There are plenty of wired shutter releases and infrared remotes on eBay for all types of digital cameras for well under $10, I think there is an opportunity opening up for some third-party goodies for this class of recorders.

hmm...that looks pretty sweet, but didn't the M1 used to have a remote that allowed you to monitor levels? maybe it would be compatible with this recorder?

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2009, 11:51:23 PM »
M1 didn't come with a remote. It was the D100 that included the remote with the meters. But you can use the D100 remote with the M1 - that's what I used to do. The plug for the remote will not fit the M10 or any of the current/previous Sony solid state recorders.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2009, 08:36:45 AM »
IMHO, the microSDHC cards are just the guts of a full blown SD card... just be a smidge more gentle, and you will be fine... and you can more easily hide an extra in your wallet (in case you need more space in tight quarters)

I have a microSDHC in my mobile phone; to be honest, it is a little bit of a pain.  They are really tiny.  Sort of difficult to insert/remove, especially if the nails are freshly trimmed!  Maybe Sony has a more accessible slot, though.  And I would hate to drop one in the grass of an outdoor show or the floor of a darkened venue.  I guess you could just leave it in, and transfer straight from the recorder...I think the max card size is 16GB.  Not sure where I saw that*, but I will try to find it...

I hope Darktrain is right about this recorder!  I have seriously considered the D50, but it is a little large for me too.

*Edit to add:  This review on CNET (http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10291362-1.html) says it maxes out at 20GB.  I assume that is 4GB internal plus a 16GB microSDHC.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 08:43:43 AM by aaronji »

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2009, 09:28:39 AM »
The flash memory slot in a cell phone has a little bump.  You have to push the micro SD card past the bump to insert it.  It's difficult by design to pull the card back out past the bump.  Fingernails or tweezers usually are needed to grab the micro SD card.

The Yamaha Pocketrak CS has a spring loaded slot for the micro SD card.  You push to insert, and push to unlock the spring and remove, just like using a standard SD card slot.  It's a lot easier than a cell phone.  No fingernails needed.

Looking at the "Sound on Sound" video, it appears to me that the M10 uses the same type of slot that the Yamaha has.  So there should be no problem inserting and ejecting the memory card.  Finding the micro SD card on the floor of a dimly-lit club after you drop it is another matter!

Flintstone

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2009, 10:18:17 AM »
My phone has the same spring configuration that you are describing.  But it is recessed such that even when "sprung" the microSDHC is very hard to grasp...Hopefully, Sony designed this recorder a little better!

Offline tekdroid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2009, 07:52:19 PM »
The plug for the remote will not fit the M10 or any of the current/previous Sony solid state recorders.

I hope Sony get to releasing some cool remotes. They aren't even trying to impress is my current impression.

Offline colargol

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2009, 02:18:44 PM »
Hi!

Sony's site (http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-audio/cat-recorders/product-PCMM10%2FB/) says this one's line input will have

"Input impedance: 22k ohms; Minimum input level: 500mV; Rated input level: 2.0V"

while the edirol R-09HR has

"Line input: 15 k ohms, Line input: 2 dBu (Default input level)"

Anyone care to tell me what this means in normal language? Would this enable the M10 to handle a hotter signal than the edirol?

-Colargol
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 03:02:23 PM by colargol »
MK4s/MK41s > nbob actives > tinybox/babynbox > M10/A10

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2009, 06:04:45 PM »
Hi!

Sony's site (http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-audio/cat-recorders/product-PCMM10%2FB/) says this one's line input will have

"Input impedance: 22k ohms; Minimum input level: 500mV; Rated input level: 2.0V"

Anyone care to tell me what this means in normal language? Would this enable the M10 to handle a hotter signal than the edirol?

-Colargol

just based on all of sonys other equipment, yes

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2009, 08:03:08 AM »
It's coming out in a burgandy color too:

oooh, same color as my Skylark.  that seals it.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 08:05:37 AM by Nick's Picks »

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2009, 09:15:22 AM »
This thing is pretty small too.  Basically, the same size as the R09HR but a half a centimeter thinner.  Nice.  And much smaller than the D50, although the specs aren't as good...

I am curious if the whole body is aluminum, or if it is just the front/back plates and the center part (silver in the photos) is plastic.  I thought it was all aluminum, but, looking at the photos, it seems I might have been wrong?

Oh, and that's a nice ride, Nick!

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2009, 09:19:07 AM »
Hi!

-Colargol

You may want to look up Guysonic's testing from the D50 and compare the specs of the D50 and the M10 to judge off of that.  If I recall correctly, he said that the D50 could accept a full line level signal, which none of the cheaper portable recorders could.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2009, 11:15:09 AM »
I am curious if the whole body is aluminum, or if it is just the front/back plates and the center part (silver in the photos) is plastic.  I thought it was all aluminum, but, looking at the photos, it seems I might have been wrong?

I think I read that the body is mostly/all metal.  Maybe it was that demo from that video. 

If I recall correctly, he said that the D50 could accept a full line level signal, which none of the cheaper portable recorders could.

This will be really useful for patching from a SBD.

Offline colargol

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2009, 12:12:44 PM »
Hi!

-Colargol

You may want to look up Guysonic's testing from the D50 and compare the specs of the D50 and the M10 to judge off of that.  If I recall correctly, he said that the D50 could accept a full line level signal, which none of the cheaper portable recorders could.

Well, this is what the Sony site says about the D50:

"Input impedance: 40k ohm; Minimum input level: 450mV; Rated input level: 2.0V"

... so I suppose there's quite a difference between the d50 and the M10

-colargol
MK4s/MK41s > nbob actives > tinybox/babynbox > M10/A10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com