Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 audio recorder - NEW  (Read 174635 times)

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sony PCM-M10 audio recorder - NEW
« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2009, 11:59:47 AM »
I picked up my SONY PCM-M10 today.

Cool, didn't know it was out yet!  Feel free to post some pics.  :P

Here are a few pics to show the size of the m10:

« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 12:02:07 PM by Dogmusic »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • it's recreational
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2009, 08:02:13 PM »
 :drool:   thx!

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2009, 07:53:20 AM »
thats sexy.
does this sucker have a toslink input like the other sony decks??

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2009, 11:36:13 AM »
I'd love to hear the line-in compared to the R-09HR. And also some testing to see if it can handle a hot SBD signal.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2009, 11:42:11 AM »
thats sexy.
does this sucker have a toslink input like the other sony decks??

No, unfortunately, just USB -- but it's very fast. Don't know if it was my imagination, but downloading files seemed especially quick.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 12:29:32 PM by Dogmusic »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2009, 12:24:21 PM »
Here's a pretty good carrying case for the M10.

It's a Kodak (model 123-0671) found at my local Canadian Tire store ($9.99), and it's also on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-Slim-select-digital-cameras/dp/B0013HY3Q6/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1255126661&sr=1-18

It fits the Sony like a glove, and the closer is a magnet rather than velcro. (Not sure if the magnet would affect the memory cards....)

The top has a hole in it, directly between the mic and line inputs, so you can fit an input plug by slightly pushing aside the top of the case.

The sides are open for access to phones/line out, as well as leaving the internal mics exposed for recording while in the case.

And there's a belt loop on the back.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 12:37:51 PM by Dogmusic »

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2009, 01:23:53 PM »
Great pics, thanks for posting them!  How is the gain dial in terms of how much resistance to turn it to change levels?  Some people had reported that the D50's gain dial turned too easily so I'm curious how the M10's dial is.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #112 on: October 10, 2009, 05:31:37 PM »
Great pics, thanks for posting them!  How is the gain dial in terms of how much resistance to turn it to change levels?  Some people had reported that the D50's gain dial turned too easily so I'm curious how the M10's dial is.

There's actually a lot of resistance, and it wouldn't be easily budged in pocket or case.

Also, part of the frame that encircles the body of the M10 goes over the gain dial, so that only the top and bottom portions of the wheel are exposed.

There's another useful bit: when you turn on the unit, you push the power switch towards you and hold. It takes only a second for the M10 to light up. But when you're turning it off, and you repeat the maneuver of pushing and holding the switch, it takes about three seconds to turn off. So less likely to have it accidentally power down by knocking it.

Of course, there's also a hold switch, which you engage by pushing the power switch in the opposite direction.

One thing to watch out for: the speed control is a switch on the side. I turned it on by accident and got a real scare. My recording of rain sounded like a ring modulated Jamaican steel band on acid.

It was playing back at 30% slower speed, and it gave me a minute of terror thinking I'd have to send the unit back!

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2009, 06:35:31 PM »
There's actually a lot of resistance, and it wouldn't be easily budged in pocket or case.

Also, part of the frame that encircles the body of the M10 goes over the gain dial, so that only the top and bottom portions of the wheel are exposed.

Cool, thanks for the info!  Looks like a great little recorder.  If I didn't have the R-09HR I would have a tough time choosing between the two.

Offline detroitblues

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2009, 09:53:01 AM »
we now have the windscreen for this new model at  gigwigs.com or ebay.     thank you

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #115 on: October 14, 2009, 09:13:12 AM »
Just got a email from Guitar Center that they are instock so I ordered one, can't wait to get this thing and give it a field test.

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #116 on: October 15, 2009, 12:28:01 AM »
Nice, I should be picking up mine tomorrow or on Friday...
Just saw that they are selling a "red, glossy" version as well that has a kind of cranberry colored faceplate.

Anyway, I'll post my opinion of it after I get a chance to play with it.

Offline mloewen

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #117 on: October 15, 2009, 03:58:41 PM »
I called my local Guitar Center to see if my preorder was in yet.
it wasnt. He called to see its status and was told they moved the date back to November 11th. (?) I am still hoping I can get it before Dylan on Oct 23.

Update
 I called to find out more and found out they have 20 of the black ones in stock just waiting on the glossy red ones to come in.
I decided to go with a black one I am thinking the red may be a little less stealthy if in veiw.   
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 01:50:12 PM by mloewen »

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2009, 04:23:00 PM »
I'm going to try out my M10 at a live venue either tonight or tomorrow.

Any suggestions about the best format for posting the results?

I'll probably record at 24/96, but in order to post a recording of any length, I guess I'll have to convert it to MP3.

Offline mloewen

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #119 on: October 16, 2009, 04:37:18 PM »
Are you going to use the internal mics?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com