Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 audio recorder - NEW  (Read 174294 times)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sony PCM-M10 audio recorder - NEW
« Reply #180 on: October 25, 2009, 11:17:08 PM »
Yes, that is what I'm saying.  It seems pretty much the same, less the Cardioid mics and the Digital in.  But I never used these.  So, it is the best recorder for me...

Richard

Didn't realize the D50 had directional mics.  Would have been cool if the M10 did too, although I don't think I will ever use internal mics for taping anything.

Offline Falconidave

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I went to too many concerts" said no one ever!
« Reply #181 on: October 25, 2009, 11:57:17 PM »
One thing I noticed while perusing the manual is that the M10 does cross-memory recording.  You fill up the internal 4GB and is automatically starts recording on the memory stick.  This it totally cool!!  The D50 did not have that feature!! I think the M10's mics are adjustable are they not?
Mics: Schoeps MK41; AT853(3-wire)(c,o); AT943(3-wire)(c,o); AT933(3-wire)(c,o); Shure 185(c); Sony ECM-166BMP (o); Sony ECM-166BC (c).
Interconnects: NBob Actives
Preamps: BabyNbox v2
Recorders: Sony PCM-A10(2); Sony PCM-M10; Edirol R-09HR; Sony MZ-RH1
Video: Panasonic HDC-TM700 HD; Panasonic Lumix GX85; Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS100; Canon PowerShot SX50 HD; Sony DSC-HX50V

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #182 on: October 26, 2009, 12:24:23 AM »
One thing I noticed while perusing the manual is that the M10 does cross-memory recording.  You fill up the internal 4GB and is automatically starts recording on the memory stick.  This it totally cool!!  The D50 did not have that feature!! I think the M10's mics are adjustable are they not?
M10 mics are fixed omnis, pointing out the front, one on each corner of the case.  I actually like the built in mics.  They have reasonable detail and are very quiet (< 20dBA I would guess).  This is better than most cheap mics out there.

I will probably end up using the internals for ambient recording around the house, but plug in Countryman B3 or similar for music recording.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #183 on: October 26, 2009, 08:34:17 AM »
I still think this is a budget D50 missing some bells and whistles.
Yes, that is what I'm saying.  It seems pretty much the same, less the Cardioid mics and the Digital in.  But I never used these.  So, it is the best recorder for me...

Richard

That makes sense.  I have used the internals and digi-in every once in a while.  Sony wanted to get into the $300 market and here it is, but I'm holding onto my D50 for now especially since I also have the HR in the gear bag.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline tardis71

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #184 on: October 28, 2009, 08:44:14 PM »
Thanks for all the info on this recorder! Any chance someone could upload photos comparing the size of the M10 to say a D8 or rh1 minidisc ? Or just holding it in your hand....or in a shirt/coat breast pocket?
Just would like to see the size of the thing!
I know it's 4.5 x 2.5 so that should be the size of an iphone?
No worries if not! Just thought I'd like to see some.
Thanks in advance if you do post one! ;)
ps. Any thoughts on how it would sound recording a club show, if you did just pop it into your shirt front pocket with the mics sticking out?

Offline mloewen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #185 on: October 28, 2009, 08:52:08 PM »
If you look back to October 8 there are pics posted.

Offline tardis71

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #186 on: October 28, 2009, 08:55:47 PM »
If you look back to October 8 there are pics posted.

Cool thanks! wow! it's tiny. Still would like to see it beside a D8..but no big deal!
Carry on sir's! ;)

Offline mloewen

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #187 on: October 28, 2009, 09:09:50 PM »
Yes it is small. I recorded a concert last week with mine. I put a sock in my pocket to get the mics up out of pocket. turned out fairly well. I just ordered some Church audio cA-14s to use with it. Hoping I wont need a battery box.

Offline Falconidave

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I went to too many concerts" said no one ever!
« Reply #188 on: October 28, 2009, 09:36:32 PM »
Got mine today, LOVIN' it!!!!  Rock solid little machine.  I can see why people(man) might think it's a cell phone...  Can't wait to try it out.
Mics: Schoeps MK41; AT853(3-wire)(c,o); AT943(3-wire)(c,o); AT933(3-wire)(c,o); Shure 185(c); Sony ECM-166BMP (o); Sony ECM-166BC (c).
Interconnects: NBob Actives
Preamps: BabyNbox v2
Recorders: Sony PCM-A10(2); Sony PCM-M10; Edirol R-09HR; Sony MZ-RH1
Video: Panasonic HDC-TM700 HD; Panasonic Lumix GX85; Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS100; Canon PowerShot SX50 HD; Sony DSC-HX50V

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #189 on: October 30, 2009, 06:40:12 AM »
I just ordered some Church audio cA-14s to use with it. Hoping I wont need a battery box.

It may work fine most of the time w/o a box, but you're likely to run into at least occasional trouble doing so. Chris recommends at least 5 volts plug in power for the CA-14's and I'd be shocked if the M10 provides anywhere near that. I would test it on something very loud that you don't care about before recording anything critical without a box.

Adding one of the tiny Church Audio boxes to the chain really doesn't add that much bulk to the system and would eliminate the risk of occasional distortion.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline georgeh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #190 on: October 31, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
so has anyone picked one of these up, or ordered one? I'd be interested in hearing some recordings or comments. Personally I'd probably avoid this due to the internal mics, but if it sounds decent for acoustic music, then may be worth picking up.
microtech gefell sms 2000, MG 21 & 20 & 27 caps >
M148 (with new ext battery) > acm P2 (2 of them)
Nbob active cables / PFA, Nbox Platinum

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #191 on: November 01, 2009, 02:22:50 AM »
so has anyone picked one of these up, or ordered one?

Um, yeah a bunch of people have.  Just look back a few posts.  ;)

Offline xpander

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #192 on: November 01, 2009, 05:19:39 AM »
M10 mics are fixed omnis, pointing out the front, one on each corner of the case.  I actually like the built in mics.  They have reasonable detail and are very quiet (< 20dBA I would guess).  This is better than most cheap mics out there.

I will probably end up using the internals for ambient recording around the house, but plug in Countryman B3 or similar for music recording.

Richard

Richard, have you done any comparison between the mics of M10 and D50 yet? Both set the same way and recording the same source at same levels (meter reading), I wonder which one actually has less noise and/or is more sensitive?

Any low level source would reveal fast if theres noticeable difference in that regard...if you'd have time or interest for this kind of test, I'd appreciate it.

Offline georgeh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #193 on: November 02, 2009, 11:38:55 AM »
so has anyone picked one of these up, or ordered one?

Um, yeah a bunch of people have.  Just look back a few posts.  ;)

whoops, bit of a stoner move on my part. guess i got caught up reading early reviews instead of seeing if there was a page two.
microtech gefell sms 2000, MG 21 & 20 & 27 caps >
M148 (with new ext battery) > acm P2 (2 of them)
Nbob active cables / PFA, Nbox Platinum

Offline dbxp

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #194 on: November 02, 2009, 11:58:16 AM »
Here is a test recording of mine with internal mics:

http://www.box.net/shared/ovixz0us3t

It was recorded with 24/96 but normalized to 0 dB and converted to 16/44.1. The recording had about 9 dB of headroom so factor in about 9 dB of noise floor increase during normalization. Still the very slight ambient noise dominated electronic hissing. The mic sensitivity was set to low and the unit was placed on the right hand flat area of the music desk of a Steinway grand piano, pointing into the soundboard at a 45 degree angle.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com