Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 audio recorder - NEW  (Read 174152 times)

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
Re: Sony PCM-M10 audio recorder - NEW
« Reply #195 on: November 02, 2009, 01:14:30 PM »
Sold my backup R09hr and just ordered a PCM-M10.... if it gets here by Friday, I hope to run a comparison between my other R09HR and the M10

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #196 on: November 02, 2009, 01:30:44 PM »
Sold my backup R09hr and just ordered a PCM-M10.... if it gets here by Friday, I hope to run a comparison between my other R09HR and the M10

I would love to hear a line-in comparison of the two recorders. Just hook them up to your CD player at home and record! (Bonus if you have a commercial SACD or DVD-A for 24bit recording comparison).

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #197 on: November 02, 2009, 05:22:17 PM »
Here is a test recording of mine with internal mics:

http://www.box.net/shared/ovixz0us3t

It was recorded with 24/96 but normalized to 0 dB and converted to 16/44.1. The recording had about 9 dB of headroom so factor in about 9 dB of noise floor increase during normalization. Still the very slight ambient noise dominated electronic hissing. The mic sensitivity was set to low and the unit was placed on the right hand flat area of the music desk of a Steinway grand piano, pointing into the soundboard at a 45 degree angle.

Always a pleasure to hear Bach, especially so evenly played. Thank you, dbxp. Is that a Steinway "M"?

The PCM-M10 again seems to me to come off quite well using the internals.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 05:39:41 PM by Dogmusic »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline dbxp

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #198 on: November 02, 2009, 08:59:29 PM »
Thanks Dogmusic for the kind words. While I'm no Steinway expert, it's probably a model A, as it's a solid 6 footer. I myself have very limited musical capabilities and it's my high school son who takes piano lessons playing in a classroom of the conservatory here. The rooms there all have basic acoustic treatment. Bigger rooms have hardwood floors and sound-absorbing ceilings while smaller rooms have additional two sound absorbing walls. That, plus frequent tuning and regulation of the pianos, usually makes the instrument much better sounding than what we can achieve at home.

Offline gmm6797

• Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #199 on: November 02, 2009, 09:30:33 PM »
I would love to hear a line-in comparison of the two recorders. Just hook them up to your CD player at home and record! (Bonus if you have a commercial SACD or DVD-A for 24bit recording comparison).

The only other high-end equipment I own is a 722... but I always like "live field" comparisons, as that is how I use my gear 100% of the time

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #200 on: November 03, 2009, 05:28:10 AM »

The only other high-end equipment I own is a 722... but I always like "live field" comparisons, as that is how I use my gear 100% of the time

I understand. But this test will help us R-09HR owners on whether the M10 is an upgrade, crossgrade, or downgrade.

Offline Craig T

• LMA
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 10:56:44 AM by Craig T »
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Falconidave

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I went to too many concerts" said no one ever!
« Reply #202 on: November 03, 2009, 06:20:58 PM »
Mics: Schoeps MK41; AT853(3-wire)(c,o); AT943(3-wire)(c,o); AT933(3-wire)(c,o); Shure 185(c); Sony ECM-166BMP (o); Sony ECM-166BC (c).
Interconnects: NBob Actives
Preamps: BabyNbox v2
Recorders: Sony PCM-A10(2); Sony PCM-M10; Edirol R-09HR; Sony MZ-RH1
Video: Panasonic HDC-TM700 HD; Panasonic Lumix GX85; Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS100; Canon PowerShot SX50 HD; Sony DSC-HX50V

Offline jamesmcn

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #203 on: November 05, 2009, 09:19:23 PM »
A few weeks back, I borrowed a Zoom H4 to record the sound of rain. I ended up doing a lot more environmental ambient recordings. After I gave the zoom back, I ordered the Sony M10.

I just got the M10 today. I'm shocked at how little handling noise there is compared to the Zoom, and I'm not even using the included remote yet. Sound quality does seem to be noticeably better than the Zoom. In particular, the noise floor seems a lot lower, even after normalizing a very quiet recording.

The size and form-factor are roughly similar to an older smart phone or mp3 player. No one will mistake it for a cell phone, but it could easily be mistaken for a weird MP3 player.

The only negative is that it doesn't seem to recognize eject events from my Mac. But it didn't complain when I pulled the USB cable, either.

Does anyone sell a windscreen for the M10 yet? The Sony screen doesn't seem to be available anywhere.

Offline mloewen

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #204 on: November 05, 2009, 10:56:33 PM »
There are windscreens for sale on ebay for the PCM-M10 one for 19.99 and another for 23.99 . there is also an offical Sony windscreen for 62.99.

I decided to make my own but had a hard time finding faux fur that was long enough. Then I found distinctivefabrics.com they have a 3 inch pyle and if you join their web site they will send you 3 free swatches (no charge for postage even) samples 5 X 3 1/2 " plenty big enough to make a windscreen just get a short piece of elastic and you can make a cheap or free windscreen.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 10:58:26 PM by mloewen »

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #205 on: November 06, 2009, 07:21:14 AM »
No one will mistake it for a cell phone, but it could easily be mistaken for a weird MP3 player.

Actually, I already had a couple people think that it was a cell phone who were surprised to find out what it was.

The only negative is that it doesn't seem to recognize eject events from my Mac. But it didn't complain when I pulled the USB cable, either.

I haven't had any problems with the M10 and my Mac. Did you try ejecting it from a finder window? If you have a memory card inside it, then two icons will appear on the desktop and both should be ejected.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline jamesmcn

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #206 on: November 06, 2009, 09:08:42 AM »
I haven't had any problems with the M10 and my Mac. Did you try ejecting it from a finder window? If you have a memory card inside it, then two icons will appear on the desktop and both should be ejected.

I ejected it from my mac. Ten minutes later, the connecting logo was still spinning on the Sony. I'm not using a memory card yet.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #207 on: November 06, 2009, 09:23:29 AM »

I ejected it from my mac. Ten minutes later, the connecting logo was still spinning on the Sony. I'm not using a memory card yet.

Mine does the same. That spinning is a little disconcerting and it would've been better to have a definite "disconnected" indication.

Offline Idle Wind

• Wishes He Could Get Out More..
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
  • YEEEWRAAAUGHHH... OOOOHHH..YEAAAHH
« Reply #208 on: November 06, 2009, 10:09:21 AM »
anyone know how many volts in the plug-in power?

also - this has a digital limiter, the r09hr says it has an analog limiter.  not sure what the difference is, and if you'd even use one in a stealth situation.  I never used AGC, but I did use the clip setting on my rockboxed IRiver, which actually works.

I was all ready to pull the trigger on an r09hr, until this came out, now I'm on the fence.  My sense is either one would be great, but I'd use this primarily for stealth - so ease of use, low key lighting, easily visible controls, etc.  you've got to love the IRiver remote, which shows you the levels right on it.

The M-10 looks like it has forward facing mics with clip indicators right on them, so if you're clipping, you'd be blinking.  I'd generally use separate mics (AT853) but I'm surprised at the results people have been getting from the built ins...
Schoeps mk4, mk22, nbob actives
AKG 460 ck63 /ck8 nbob actives
AT853RX  - O/SC/C/H
PCM-M10 / DR-70D (N-Mod) / PMD 670 (Oade Mod) / Roland R07 / FR2-LE (Oade mod)
Platinum N-Box, Baby N-Box, SD MP-2, Naiant PFAs

Offline jamesmcn

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #209 on: November 06, 2009, 10:35:35 AM »
anyone know how many volts in the plug-in power?

The brick says 3V, 1A. I haven't taken a scope or multimeter to it to verify, though.

also - this has a digital limiter, the r09hr says it has an analog limiter.  not sure what the difference is, and if you'd even use one in a stealth situation.  I never used AGC, but I did use the clip setting on my rockboxed IRiver, which actually works.

The O'Reilly D50 review explains how the sony digital limiter works. In a nutshell, Sony records at both the normal level and several dB lower. When it detects clipping, it smoothly and seamlessly splices in the quieter wave. I have not verified this on my M10, though.

AGC is turned on out of the box, so my previous comments where I compared the noise level of the M10 to the Zoom H4 reflected on recordings with AGC turned on. I've since tried manual recordings and definitely hear some noise both from handling and on the foloor when the record level is turned way up. The out-of-the-box sound is amazing. I expect it will take a day or two for me to figure out how to best make a manual recording.

The M-10 looks like it has forward facing mics with clip indicators right on them, so if you're clipping, you'd be blinking.  I'd generally use separate mics (AT853) but I'm surprised at the results people have been getting from the built ins...

It actually has two sets of lights on each mic. One for -12 dB and another for clipping. I believe you can turn the lights completely off in the menu to avoid distracting musicians.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 01:08:16 PM by jamesmcn »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.127 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com