Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: More Questions  (Read 9320 times)

Offline Swampy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • You Worthless Swampy Fool
More Questions
« on: April 09, 2003, 04:37:59 PM »
First of all I want to say that I love the board, thanks for all the help on my last post. Anyway, I have a bunch of questions and I want to get them all out here.

What is the quality difference between DAT an MD?

How does one set levals, do you just have to wait for the first song to start? Could you explain how you do it?

Can you get a T bar for under 20 bucks? 30 bucks?

Thanks for the help!

DaryanLenz

Re:More Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2003, 04:49:26 PM »
The quality difference between md and dat is most certainly audible, although for 250 you can get a jukebox, which is what I would do at this point.  The only real advantage to MD would be for stealthing purposes, which IMHO isn't worthj a damn since a m1 or something is not a whole lot bigger and far and away better!  The akg standard t bar can be had for something like 18 bucks new.  Level adjustments, for me anyway, are always on the fly, although one can judge approximate levels through the pa before the show starts.  I shoot to begin at around -6 db peaks, and the start pushing them from there.  I usually tro to peak at -1, but don't mind the occasional over.  To be honest, I have found it damn hard to cliup the mini-me, even when the P1 has stated 0db peaks.

Hope this helps

Daryan

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2003, 04:51:45 PM »
1.) The quality difference between a DAT and MD depends on what you play back your recordings on and on your ears.  I can tell the difference, others cannot.  I chose DAT because *I* could tell the difference.  Get some DAT and some MD recordings and decide for yourself.

2.) You set levels as close to the limit on both a DAT and a MD deck without going over.  Something will flash if you go over; if you do, just turn your levels down a bit.  They are usually set by a knob on a DAT deck and by pressing some buttons on a MD deck.  It will say in the instructions with whatever type of deck you get how to set levels.  Not too complicated.

3.) The AKG T-bar costs about $20 and is rock-solid.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Swampy

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2003, 05:31:03 PM »
Thanks for the replys! jlykos I know how to set levals, but I just wanted to know if you just got to do it on the fly. Ill check out the AKG bar. THANKS!

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2003, 05:53:28 PM »
Yes, definitely set the levels on the fly.  I will fiddle for about the first five minutes of a show and I can usually judge the loudest parts from that.  Just set the levels accordingly and then forget about it or you will go crazy with trying to minutely adjust to every peak in the music.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2003, 08:25:42 PM »
the biggest reason I like DAT over MD is that you can get 2-3 hours of uncompressed 44.1 or 48khz music with out having to change tapes, etc. With MD you are bound to about 80 minutes, you can get more if you compress it even more, but figure whats the point if you are going to do that.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Swampy

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2003, 10:22:25 PM »
Thanks for the replys thus far... I have yet ANOTHER question... So I've decided that I am going to have to settle for Mini Disc this summer. (Im going to save up and get a DAT later) Anyway, One recoder I have looked at is the Sony MZ-N505.  It says that you can record in all these special modes for longer recording. My question is can you record in a regular mode on these so that you get the least commpression as possable, or do you have to record in one of these LP modes. Has anyone used these, thoughts, opinions? THANKS!!!

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2003, 10:34:29 PM »
Avoid LP modes. Always avoid them. I'm still using a minidisc (R700 w/ Denecke AD-20) and all these newer tapers never listen to me when I tell them that they will regret all extra compression when they listen critically.
And yes, of course you can record in regular-ass stereo, aka "SP mode."

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2003, 10:35:59 PM »
Alex, BTW, with MOST Sonys it's impossible to adjust analog input levels on the fly. Some of the newer ones can do it, I've heard, but if you want to be sure, get a Sharp!

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2003, 10:37:04 PM »
The only real advantage to MD would be for stealthing purposes, which IMHO isn't worthj a damn since a m1 or something is not a whole lot bigger and far and away better!  

And over 3x as expensive.  ;)
Armen

Offline Swampy

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2003, 10:54:45 PM »
Ya, I'd never record in LP mode, MD have enough compression, I was just wondering if this model lets you record in SP mode.  Is there any Sharp that you could point me to that would be under 200? I don't mind buying used. Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2003, 10:57:41 PM by AlexHerd »

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2003, 11:39:59 PM »
All models let you record in SP.  :D
Under 200 for a good used Sharp shouldn't be difficult. I've heard good things about the very newest ones, but all of em should do you fine. Somehting like this looks like a score:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3017816607&category=15056

No mic in, but a good deal! A VERY good deal!
Do your research here:

http://www.minidisc.org/

All you need to know is here. Ask away!
Armen

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2003, 12:35:57 AM »
Also forgot to mention, some of these big-time eBay dealers frequently sell refurbished units as brand-new. I've bought all my recording stuff brand-spankin'-new. (My home units were all used, but they're not quite as important as my little field rig.)
Ask anything else you want to!
Armen

DaryanLenz

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2003, 02:21:20 AM »
Why would one buy the new MD if the jukebox is availible at the same price, and not compressed?????? ???

Daryan

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2003, 05:12:50 AM »
Ask him, not me. ;) I stealth with it (that's all I do) and like my removable media and unshakable reliability.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2003, 05:13:58 AM by zhianosatch »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.145 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com