Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audience Noise Removal - Audacity 2.2.1  (Read 14553 times)

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Audience Noise Removal - Audacity 2.2.1
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2015, 09:01:15 AM »
From the Audacity manual pages:
==Residue level==
This allows a proportion of the signal that has been removed by clipping to be added back to the output. By default the value is 0.0 and so all of the clipped signal is discarded. By raising this level, some of the clipped signal will be restored, making the limit softer. More peaks and troughs of the original waveform will be retained, and the resultant volume level will be higher than that set in the dB limit.
{{Note|'''Special effect:''' If you turn the Residue level full up to 1.0 and the Wet level full down to 0.0, you will hear only the pieces of waveform that are above the dB limit you choose.}}

A note on the note I've bolded above:  Doing that may be very useful in checking your threshold level setting (AKA "dB limit" in the terminology of this plugin).  When set that way you will only hear the portions of audio which are being limited and not anything else- just the high level excursions above the threshold setting.  Try setting the wet and residue controls that way and then play around with the dB limit setting until you hear mostly banshee yodels and applause spikes without much else musical leaking through, then revert wet and residue to their correct settings. 

Even if you prefer setting the threshold by ear in the typical way, I recommend doing this just to get a clear idea of what the plugin is doing by being able to actually hear what it is "throwing away".
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 09:03:33 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline rockphantom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2015, 11:14:29 AM »
Instead of applying the limiter to the whole file, I often find that it works better to zoom in a bit and limit small sections to the "local" maximum level of the music.  For some noises (such as a close clapper), I will often limit individual peaks.  Of course, this can be extremely tedious, so it depends on the nature and frequency of the noises in question...

Thank you for the suggestion.
 I will attempt limiting individual peaks during an upcoming weekend when it's too hot to do anything outdoors.
Deck: Sony PCM-M10 Preamp: Church Audio Ugly 2 Mics: CA-11 Cardioids,CA-14 Cardioids
FS: Soundman OKMII Rock Binaural FS: CA-14 Omnis.

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2015, 02:30:01 PM »
I would say leave it alone.

The best thing you can do is to forget what she looks like, and come back to the master in a year with some perspective.

This is so true in so many cases.  Time passes and things sound differently.
Typically, I run slight compression on applause to bring it down to the level of the music; but, in my case, I'm dealing with an audience that is more mature than Rock, and, they don't make noises during the music. So, encapsulating the applause is a simple matter.

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2015, 03:35:21 PM »
Yes, time away from it and returning later with a fresh ear, unsoiled by recent bad associations is always a good idea.

..they don't make noises during the music.

Ha! I don't believe it!!

The banshee cry of the plastic cough-drop wrapper, the incessant program rustler, the woman with all the jangly jewelry that keeps messing with her hair, the purse rummager, the hard-breathing wheezer-geezer, the loud and out-of-rhythm foot tapper, the loud whisperers, the premature always-early and over-eager clapper, the end-of-each-movement clappers (maybe even every long rest), the outright snoring old man..  I know them all to well.  They are ubiquitous, attending every "quiet audience" event, everywhere, everytime.  If fortunate, they aren't seated immediately next to you or your mics, but they are there somewhere in the audience, guaranteed.  :P :'( ;)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 03:52:02 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2015, 04:10:55 PM »
Yes, time away from it and returning later with a fresh ear, unsoiled by recent bad associations is always a good idea.

..they don't make noises during the music.

Ha! I don't believe it!!

The banshee cry of the plastic cough-drop wrapper, the incessant program rustler, the woman with all the jangly jewelry that keeps messing with her hair, the purse rummager, the hard-breathing wheezer-geezer, the loud and out-of-rhythm foot tapper, the loud whisperers, the premature always-early and over-eager clapper, the end-of-each-movement clappers (maybe even every long rest), the outright snoring old man..  I know them all to well.  They are ubiquitous, attending every "quiet audience" event, everywhere, everytime.  If fortunate, they aren't seated immediately next to you or your mics, but they are there somewhere in the audience, guaranteed.  :P :'( ;)

You forgot the classical concert cell phone offenders.  I was at a concert with the St. Olaf Choir (one of the world's best, look them up if you're not familiar).  In the middle of a very complicated Bach motet, someone's phone rang about 10 rows in front of me.  And rang.  And rang.  Either the person was deaf or didn't want to admit it was theirs.  And of course this was in a large church with beautiful acoustics.  Finally, the conductor stopped the choir, slowly turned to the audience, and said very quietly "Is everyone's phone off now?"  And he restarted the piece from the beginning.

Another time I was at the Philly Orchestra, and a woman's phone rang, and she picked it up and started talking on it.  This was also when you could buy those aftermarket batteries with the rainbow LEDs that blinked in circles while you were on a call.  [facepalm]

For clapping, I plan to print copies or post this for all of our school concerts this year.  Check out the website if you appreciate classical music humor, though most of it is piano-specific.
http://euge.ca/2012/12/30/applause/

I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2015, 05:17:23 PM »
Ha! thanks.

Offline ghibliss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2016, 12:16:35 AM »
You could remove the offensive sounds using a spectral editing tool which is in Izotope RX and a few other editing packages.  You can locate the frequencies you are trying to remove looking at the spectrogram and carefully edit it out.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com