Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Outdoor Bag suggestions ( Petrol Pegz owners, please enter)  (Read 18755 times)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Outdoor Bag suggestions ( Petrol Pegz owners, please enter)
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2010, 07:26:21 PM »
so I just spent over an hour with both the Petrol PS602 and PS603 trying to see if they could replace my current bag.  Nope

My first thought is why the hell are there no tops to these bags?!?  The clear flap barely velcros on and certainly doesn't protect the gear from anything.  Even if it did offer decent protection, I wouldn't trust it anyway since the velcro doesn't like to stay on. 

the 602 could hold the mytek, v3 and 744 but then offered me no room for my mics, batteries, mounts, etc. 

the 603 could hold the gear, though I didn't really like the way it had to be set up.  I also kept coming back to the fact that there's no top to this bag! 

no way.  both are going back to B&H

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2010, 11:16:54 AM »
I had a PEGZ-2 and while it was a reasonable bag for carrying gear and it has some very very nice design features, the bag is totally NOT designed for protecting gear in a rain storm or from beer spillage.  Personally, this is probably my number one requirement for a gear bag, so I can't really understand why so many people on TS.com give the PEGZ such high marks...especially when it costs what it does.  That said, the one or two super secret compartments ARE very nice for smuggling pint sized bottles of booze.   :drunk:

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2010, 06:46:40 PM »
uh. you can sneak in a liter of booze in the one pocket.  >:D  also, I have decided that I will not be taping with my nice gear if its raining. If there is another taper there, I definitely won't be taping. Not worth it.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2010, 11:15:39 AM »
so I just spent over an hour with both the Petrol PS602 and PS603 trying to see if they could replace my current bag.  Nope

My first thought is why the hell are there no tops to these bags?!?  The clear flap barely velcros on and certainly doesn't protect the gear from anything.  Even if it did offer decent protection, I wouldn't trust it anyway since the velcro doesn't like to stay on. 

the 602 could hold the mytek, v3 and 744 but then offered me no room for my mics, batteries, mounts, etc. 

the 603 could hold the gear, though I didn't really like the way it had to be set up.  I also kept coming back to the fact that there's no top to this bag! 

no way.  both are going back to B&H

Hello Scott

I posted this in team Mytek and I think that one of these bags would work great for you:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=139249.msg1802925#msg1802925

Quote from: dactylus on September 16, 2010, 04:41:39 PM
I've found and use two different bags for different occasions (running 4 mics vs 2 mics for a show) that work great height-wise for running both the mytek 192adc & the portico 5012.  I'll look up the make and model numbers and post that bag info later. 

I've checked out a number of different gear bags, including the petrol pegz-3 for mytek, portico use and I wasn't really happy with any of them!!  The Kata and LowePro gear bags that I now use are just about perfect for the mytek 192adc & the portico 5012!

I own, use and recommend both of these bags for running rigs incorporating any of these components:  the Mytek 192adc, the Portico 5012 and V3's with stilts.  Both bags are great in my opinion and the lowepro bag can be found used on ebay occasionally.  The Kata bag is BIG and not for the faint of heart but I find that I use it almost every time I'm running two pairs of mics now...

Lowepro Stealth Reporter D650 AW

Images:  http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=lowepro+stealth+reporter+650&revid=2029859799&wrapid=tlif12848160904092&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=yLyUTPPHHIiWnAe2uPHJCA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CEcQsAQwAw

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Stealth-Reporter-D650-AW,2049,20.htm

Kata WS-606 GDC Large Reporter Shoulder Case - for Photo or Video Cameras and Accessories

Images:  http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=Kata+WS-606&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Kata+WS-606&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 11:18:15 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2010, 02:06:15 PM »
thanks.  i have a portabrace ao-1.5x coming rom b&h now.  if that doesn't work, maybe i'll try one of yours next

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2010, 05:01:33 PM »
thanks.  i have a portabrace ao-1.5x coming rom b&h now.  if that doesn't work, maybe i'll try one of yours next

I've tried the portabrace ao-1.5x too, in fact I still have one.  You do NOT have a lot of "vertical room" for gear with that bag.    The portabrace is a nice bag, but not for a mytek or a V3 with stilts...

Offline scb

« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2010, 06:46:30 PM »
i plan on running the mytek sideways, so i don't need vertical height with that.  not enough room for a v3 with stilts?  even with chopped stilts?  v3 is 5.5 inches deep and the bag supposedly has 7 inches of height for the interior.  1.5 inches extra from stilts should still fit and be plenty of extra v3 height. 

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2010, 10:55:55 PM »

Chopped stilts?   :yahoo:

Offline scb

« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2010, 09:25:52 AM »
Is it not possible?  I figure I only want the stilts to add an inch of clearance to the bottom so the power cable has zero tension, so if I can't figure out a way to ad that extra clearance another way (velcro straps/"pillow" on the sides/etc), then i could always use a really short set of stilts, right?

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2010, 02:34:40 PM »
my bag is the ao-2. should have the same height.  here is pics wit and witout  ( philly pun! ) with my chopped stilts i could run stright xlr's, but the v3 was flush with the opening.  any kind of right angle xlr's will b no prob.  ed
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline scb

« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2010, 02:46:07 PM »
thanks.  the ao-2x has an extra inch of height according to the specs, but is a half inch less in depth (and 2 inches longer in the width).  It seemed a bit wide for my needs, which is why I went for the ao-1.5x.  it showed up this morning, so I'm going to be trying to load the gear into it after work tonight

Offline scb

« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2010, 09:11:19 PM »
not sure what I want to do.  My main goal in getting a new bag was to get something smaller than the RakGear I've used for the past 8 years or so.  I can fit everything into the ao-1.5x (though I still need to figure out how to do it with a little less strain on the v3 power cable), but it doesn't really feel smaller than the RakGear.  carrying it around, the Portabrace feels bigger because it sits on my hip and sticks out a lot with the shoulder strap instead of on my back like a backpack.  Maybe I'm just so used to a backpack that going back to a shoulder strap just takes some getting used to

maybe it's finally time to ditch the dpa cases and carry the mics around another way.  still not sure if I'm keeping the bag, though.

Here's the portabrace and the current rakgear.  the mytek stands up vertical in the back pocket of the rakgear
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 11:12:43 PM by scb »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com