Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: BEST GEAR BAG???  (Read 20026 times)

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
BEST GEAR BAG???
« on: April 29, 2010, 12:20:50 AM »
So i've made a few changes and am thinking of a picking up new bag.  this is what will need to be in the bag
Sound Devices 722 with the big battery sicking out the back
Schoeps vms5u
Maybe the Apogee MME
KCY cables, capsules, clamps , 2 dvd  batteries, flashlight etc.

would love recommendations on what all yall are using out there.  Im a fan of small, i like going up front >:D
if you got pics i would love to see those as well
thanks everyone...i hope this is the correct forum for this topic
adam
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 03:35:04 PM by Big Perm »
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: BEST GEAR BAG???
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 02:10:53 AM »
The minime will fit in a Cairn, even when mounted on a "target" rack.  The Cairn is very well made, heavy duty zippers, etc.  Though it didn't work as a fanny pack when loaded with gear.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=46828.msg602823#msg602823

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 07:36:37 AM »
targus rakgear is still the greatest gear bag i've ever had

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 09:08:27 AM »

The Rakgear is good and its shelving system is very convenient, but it was so big that I got sick of it after a certain point.  The thing is a monster in the section and in the club.  I switched to a Sonicase (at three times the price), cutting my footprint in half, and I am much happier with it overall.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline crossthreaded

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 09:52:17 AM »
I carry the petrol pegz-2.  Lots of space, clear flap on top to keep an eye on levels and protect from liquids at the same time.  Has a compartment on the back that works perfectly for my dvd batteries or a flask(s).  A little pricey at 200+ but to keep my gear safe and organized it has been worth it to me.  For local shows where I'm not sure of my setup I also carry a messenger bag type deal with cables, power cords, adapters, etc in it.  Otherwise my entire rig and a pair of 15' xlr's, batteries, mounts, etc, fit in the petrol with no problems.

akg 460/ck61>cables>busman T mod R4
stuff > rio > es > cl5 > nexo

Offline Big Perm

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 10:04:37 AM »

The Rakgear is good and its shelving system is very convenient, but it was so big that I got sick of it after a certain point.  The thing is a monster in the section and in the club.  I switched to a Sonicase (at three times the price), cutting my footprint in half, and I am much happier with it overall.

do they still make the sonic case? i loved mine i used to run 10yrs ago!!!  Mark still have them at Sonic Sense...i should call him
a
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         DPA 4015c
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2

Offline barrettphisher

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
Love my Portabrace and Lowe Pro bags.  I'd recommend either one.
Barrett
Mics: ADK A51 TL's C12s, at853's (card, hyper, sub, and omni caps), Michael Joly Premium Electronics Modded Oktava mk012s (Card, Hyper and Omni caps), Busman BSC1 Stereo Kit, and Oktava 319.
Pres: V3 opti/M-S Modded, BM2p+ UA5, church audio 9100, 3 wire BB
Recorders:  Busman Mod Tascam DR-680, ACM HD-P2, HD-P2, MT2 x2, D50, M10, JB3 x2, M1, D8

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 12:35:10 PM »
My picks in order of preference as well as footprint size (small to large):

PortaBrace
Sonicase
LowePro

Offline Myco

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 12:38:59 PM »
I have a Portabrace that I'm not using that I'm thinking of selling. It's on the big side because it was meant to carry my Neve Portico 5012. I'll get back to you on the exact model number and some pix/dimensions if you're interested.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 12:50:38 PM »
I carry the petrol pegz-2. 

I want to like the Petrol but it just has too many pouches and straps and looks way too 'busy.'  The color scheme is a bit out there too.

Love my LowePro, but wouldn't mind trying a Sonicase at some point if I get a bigger /bulkier rig.

Offline Big Perm

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 01:14:19 PM »
I have a Portabrace that I'm not using that I'm thinking of selling. It's on the big side because it was meant to carry my Neve Portico 5012. I'll get back to you on the exact model number and some pix/dimensions if you're interested.

I am interested so just send me info when u can
a
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         DPA 4015c
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 01:59:04 PM »
I'm digging the Kata bags. I have a Koala (2, maybe a 3) that I'm putting in the YS over the weekend. I switched to the Kata Sundo-1 and I think that's the one for the gear I have.
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 02:42:10 PM »
Here is a shameless plug for a bag I have for sale in the YS.
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=134132.0
It's a Sound Devices CS-3.  Probably on the small side of what you are looking for, but it has enough room for a 7xx and a mixer.  I don't know how big your mics are, but the bag has room for a small Pelican type case.  They you could hang your cables outside the bag using carabiners or velcro straps which besides being space efficient looks way cool.  And it's all about the look, of course.

Maybe I'm asking too much money, but there is a CS-3 on eBay right now and I'll adjust my price depending on how much that one sells for.

Offline Big Perm

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 02:49:55 PM »
It's a Sound Devices CS-3.  Probably on the small side of what you are looking for, but it has enough room for a 7xx and a mixer.  I don't know how big your mics are, but the bag has room for a small Pelican type case.  They you could hang your cables outside the bag using carabiners or velcro straps which besides being space efficient looks way cool.  And it's all about the look, of course.

Maybe I'm asking too much money, but there is a CS-3 on eBay right now and I'll adjust my price depending on how much that one sells for.

i am afraid that the front pocket is not going to be big enough for my VMS5U pre amp, batteries, clamps, KCY cable, mounts, A20 shock mount, etc etc etc...
thanks however. good luck with the sale. looks like a sweet bag, just not for my gear
a
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         DPA 4015c
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 04:14:50 PM »
I really like my Petrol Pegz-1. Unfortunately I bought it shortly before switching to 4 channels. It's a bit small for me now. I'll probably end up selling it.

I love my Sonicase. Small footprint, fits everything and zips up. It's a keeper for me.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 04:25:47 PM »

i am afraid that the front pocket is not going to be big enough for my VMS5U pre amp, batteries, clamps, KCY cable, mounts, A20 shock mount, etc etc etc...
thanks however. good luck with the sale. looks like a sweet bag, just not for my gear
a

It looks oddly like the Portabrace AR-7 which I was going to recomend but the apogee killed that idea.

As such, the next one up would be the Portabrace AO-1X which should be fine. Check the dimensions on the apogee though.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline slightlys

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 04:43:58 PM »
I use an ARAPAHO Tackle box bag I got at wal-mart for $15

Plus a $4 bathroom rack for zip tying the UA-5 in place. Plenty of room, Plenty of zippered pockets and the deal sealer super water resistant all for $19 out the door ;D
Peluso CEMC6>Bumblebee MiAGi-II silver clad cables>Bm2p+ mod UA-5 >  OCM R-44

Offline crossthreaded

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 08:12:05 PM »
I carry the petrol pegz-2. 

I want to like the Petrol but it just has too many pouches and straps and looks way too 'busy.'  The color scheme is a bit out there too.

Love my LowePro, but wouldn't mind trying a Sonicase at some point if I get a bigger /bulkier rig.

all those pouches on the sides come off, they are for mic receivers.  It isn't really that crazy looking once you take all that stuff off.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 08:23:30 PM »
I like bags the way I like t*ts... Big! Lowepro Nova 5
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline dmonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 08:51:03 PM »

Do you carry two of 'em?
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

Offline Big Perm

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 08:55:46 PM »

Do you carry two of 'em?

LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         DPA 4015c
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2

Offline Myco

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 09:54:13 PM »

a

It looks oddly like the Portabrace AR-7 which I was going to recomend but the apogee killed that idea.

As such, the next one up would be the Portabrace AO-1X which should be fine. Check the dimensions on the apogee though.

I've got a Portabrace AR-4S/TC that I'm considering selling if anyone is looking for a bag that is bigger than the AR-7.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 12:21:35 AM »
Here's the original thread from where I bought the Kata Koala-3 bag...< http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=128177.msg1695727#msg1695727 >. It has some pretty good pictures of it there. Here are some I took a while back, keep in mind I have the BIG battery attached to the Sound Devices recorder (7600 mah, or is it 7800 mah?).

In those pictures I was carrying: Sound Devices 702 w/the big li-on battery, Grace V3, 15 foot full size cables, several interconnects, Tekkeon 3450 power supply (V3), windscreens, case with mic cap assortment (4 capsules), cigar caddy with full size mics (Microtech Gefell's), vark bar, 2 shure donuts, clamp and other misc crap. Very comfortably fitting everything in it. It's small enough that I double bagged it into a medium size back pack where I could leave the whole thing in the backpack and run it from there. The original sale thread provided links to other pictures from other tapers who have had one. PM me if you want more info...

Offline baustin

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 01:36:44 AM »
Been using my Wenger Swiss Army bag for 6+ years now: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=107422

Online darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 02:42:57 PM »
Petrol Pegz 3
fits everything I own, except a second recorder

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2010, 03:00:09 PM »
So i've made a few changes and am thinking of a picking up new bag.  this is what will need to be in the bag
Schoeps YMSU5
Maybe the Apogee MME

would love recommendations on what all yall are using out there.  Im a fan of small, i like going up front >:D
adam

PEGZ 3, will give you all the room you need. However, you better figure out if you are still going to run that Mini Me or if you are going to sell it. We either way, the bag will accomodate when you decide to 4 channel and need the extra room.  The bag is heavily padded and you can suspend your gear. The only downside is that it does not zip all the way up which is good for releasing heat, but bad if you are in a really dusty environment.

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2010, 03:07:52 PM »
The only downside is that it does not zip all the way up which is good for releasing heat, but bad if you are in a really dusty environment.

For me, that is a major downfall in most of the higher end bags.  IMO, they all should be able to fully enclose the gear...  and not leave any openings for rain/moisture/beer/dust to slip through the cracks.  I know that there are a few, but it seems uncommon among these fancy gear bags.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline Big Perm

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2010, 03:12:03 PM »
Schoeps YMSU5
Maybe the Apogee MME

adam

PEGZ 3, will give you all the room you need. However, you better figure out if you are still going to run that Mini Me or if you are going to sell it. We either way, the bag will accomodate when you decide to 4 channel and need the extra room.  The bag is heavily padded and you can suspend your gear. The only downside is that it does not zip all the way up which is good for releasing heat, but bad if you are in a really dusty environment.

I am going to sell the Apogee, there is just no need for it anymore, tired of lugging it around and tired of using a screwdriver to adjust gain.
a
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         DPA 4015c
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2010, 06:17:17 PM »
Darby, what do you think of about the DR-680?

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Online darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2010, 09:00:56 PM »
Chuck,
PM sent

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2010, 10:30:10 PM »
IMO:  Petrol, Portabrace, and Kata are too flashy for me.  They got "mug me" written all over them.  I like a low profile bag:  no logos, good protection, in a very dark color.   I vote for a Lowepro Nova series bag (black), with tape over the logo.  My 2 cents

Offline Big Perm

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2010, 10:57:33 PM »
Damn, what are you recording?  Subway performers in NYC???  ;D

point taken
a
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         DPA 4015c
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2010, 11:12:08 PM »
It's not the bag but the individual carrying the bag that says "mug me". Not that I'm some sort of "tough guy" but I think anyone trying to take several thousands of dollars worth of equipment from me is going to leave with a mark that will last a lifetime. The way I look at it, we have several K invested in our equipment, I'm going to put it into a nice bag that I know will protect my equipment and let me have access to it when I need to. If you want to carry several thousands of dollars worth of equipment in a plastic Wal-mart grocery bag, so be it. It's personal preference at this point. Just remember to double bag for added strength  ;D

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2010, 12:05:34 AM »
IMO:  Petrol, Portabrace, and Kata are too flashy for me.  They got "mug me" written all over them.  I like a low profile bag:  no logos, good protection, in a very dark color.   I vote for a Lowepro Nova series bag (black), with tape over the logo.  My 2 cents

I'm with Dan here. I have thousands of dollars worth of high end gear in my black Lowepro bag, and it doesn't say "Expensive Gear Inside" like the Petrol and Portabrace.
When my bag is on the floor closed up, it doesn't get any attention at all. YMMV
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2010, 07:14:19 AM »
I grabbed on of these lowepro, and I really like the built in rain cover.  Not to flashy, inexpense, and well constructed.

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Nova-190-AW-Black/dp/B0016JA3AQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272712303&sr=8-7
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 01:26:27 PM by jmbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2010, 11:03:39 AM »
Damn where are you guys taping that you need to worry about someone jacking your gear?   That does not seem fun.

Offline Big Perm

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2010, 12:09:30 PM »
That's what I said!!!!!!  Either I am completely ignorant and need to wise up or I'm just taping in super friendly environments

FWIO I went with the Pegz 1  got a good deal...my buddy runs that bag and I looked at his and it is going to be great thanks for all the input everyone
a
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         DPA 4015c
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2010, 01:16:14 PM »
^^^Hey BP......  at the UM shows at First Ave, a dude came up to me and was curious about all of our gear.......   all the flashing lights and what not.  And eventually he asked me how much it costs to get into taping.....  I told him, as little as a couple of hundred buck.  Then he asked me how many thousands of dollars did you guys spend?  I gave him a nasty look and said not now man....  this isn't the time or place to talk about it.  I think that this was the second night.... then he was around the section again on the third night.  I think that he had innocent intentions.....  but ya never know.  All it takes is one dip shit to follow one of us out and try some shit......  yeah we got mic stands, but who knows what he's got?  I don't necessarily like the "flashy" bags either.  When I want to keep my taping concealed, I go with the Mountainsmith Daypack in black.  If I'm not concerned, then the Lowepro Nova5 in forest green/black.  It's definitely something to consider if you tape in "sketchy" venues or even if you are a regular at venue.  YMMV.   
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline Big Perm

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2010, 01:36:31 PM »
good to know, i think i was too focused on the drunk asshole that kept pushing us into the stands...i cant wait for the day we have to start packin heat so we can tape a f'in show....oh well
if somebody wants my shit bad enough to resort to physical violence I guess they can have it.  I try to make an effort to not leave my gear unattended.  I think i shall drop a gps in the bag from now on >:D
a
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         DPA 4015c
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2010, 10:19:05 AM »
^^^Hey BP......  at the UM shows at First Ave, a dude came up to me and was curious about all of our gear.......   all the flashing lights and what not.  And eventually he asked me how much it costs to get into taping.....  I told him, as little as a couple of hundred buck.  Then he asked me how many thousands of dollars did you guys spend?  I gave him a nasty look and said not now man....  this isn't the time or place to talk about it.  I think that this was the second night.... then he was around the section again on the third night.  I think that he had innocent intentions.....  but ya never know.  All it takes is one dip shit to follow one of us out and try some shit......  yeah we got mic stands, but who knows what he's got?  I don't necessarily like the "flashy" bags either.  When I want to keep my taping concealed, I go with the Mountainsmith Daypack in black.  If I'm not concerned, then the Lowepro Nova5 in forest green/black.  It's definitely something to consider if you tape in "sketchy" venues or even if you are a regular at venue.  YMMV.   

^
I think that I remember that dude talking to you.  Glad that you moved him along...   >:D  When people ask me about gear prices I always make some comment like you can spend as little or as much as you want, just like with any other "hobby".  I NEVER leave my gear unattended and it is always comforting to have "strength in numbers" for that 2am stroll back to your car.

My sonicase 4 shelf bag is my bag of choice...

« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 10:28:54 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2010, 11:16:54 AM »
Since I started streaming shows, I went up one size from the Lowepro to a KATA. I needed room for my 13" laptop, and a little breathing room for my V3's.  I really don't think it is that flashy. I went from all Black to Black and Gray.

The only real size difference from the Nova is that it is about an inch taller and inch wider and the side pockets are added on.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/426293-REG/Kata_KT_WS_606_WS_606_GDC_Shoulder_Case.html

When the rig is wired up, the mic capsules are in the Pelican box, and the batteries and mic bodies replace the mic boxes. Also if there is no chance of rain, I just leave the batteries in the outer pocket to the right of the V3's.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 12:02:34 PM by coloartist »
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2010, 11:36:16 AM »
^
Hmmm.  That looks very nice indeed!!   ;D    Are your V3's on stilts and if they are how are you "elevating" your sd744?  I may be selling my Petrol Pegz-3...

KATA bag:

Exterior Dimensions 21.2 x 12.5 x 12.5" (54 x 32 x 32 cm) (LxWxH)

Interior Dimensions Main Compartment: 14.1 x 10.2 x 9.4" (36 x 26 x 24 cm) (LxWxH)

Weight 4.63 lb (2.1 kg)

« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 11:47:11 AM by dactylus »

Offline coloartist

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2010, 11:39:47 AM »
My V3's are on stilts. The 744t just has a big 7800mah battery on it that raises it a little. It definitely sits an inch below the V3.

I have to add, it is really nicely padded.
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2010, 11:44:38 AM »
My V3's are on stilts. The 744t just has a big 7800mah battery on it that raises it a little. It definitely sits an inch below the V3.

I have to add, it is really nicely padded.

^
Thank you for the info.  It appears to be tall enough so that a portico 5012 would fit in there too. 

I can see one of those KATA bags in my future. 

;D

« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 11:50:59 AM by dactylus »

Offline coloartist

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2010, 12:53:57 PM »
One more thing. The bag is a little heavy, but it has this bottom that keeps the bag above water and beer!

Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       

Offline lastubbe

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Copper-dome Bodhi drip a silver kimono
    • Dead-Phish
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2010, 08:42:25 PM »
I love my small Sonicase.  Super compact, great access, and best of all it's made really well (imo).  It reminds me of the Portabrace I used back in the day.

Enough room for mics, pre, 7##, and a few accessories.  I keep a couple secondary bags with all the extra stuff and just rotate in what I need for the show.  It has worked especially well in those tight settings up front. 

I walked into Shea's for Furthur without it even being noticed at the front doors, when other bags were getting torn through.  For the little bit I carry, I wouldn't use anything else, and could still add a pre and be fine.
DPA 4023>Sonosax SX-M2/EAA PSP-2>Sound Devices 722 (24/96)
http://dead-phish.com
http://twitter.com/lastubbe
@lastubbe

Offline lastubbe

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Dead-Phish
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2010, 08:46:43 PM »

do they still make the sonic case? i loved mine i used to run 10yrs ago!!!  Mark still have them at Sonic Sense...i should call him
a

Marc hooked me up with mine.  $200 for the small one but they only go into production so often.  5 min chat with Marc and it was at my door step in a couple days.  Easy as can be.
@lastubbe

Offline lastubbe

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Dead-Phish
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2010, 08:55:31 PM »
Damn where are you guys taping that you need to worry about someone jacking your gear?   That does not seem fun.

I have walked to my car alone in a few Downtown areas, looking over my shoulder.
@lastubbe

Offline crossthreaded

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2010, 11:25:35 PM »

I have walked to my car alone in a few Downtown areas, looking over my shoulder.

the canal club in richmond comes to mind as a place I am glad to have a mic stand with me.  Most of the time my g/f is with me and I'm more concerned about something happening to her than to my gear, I would gladly hand over my pegz 2 if it would make the dude go away.  If you are going to get mugged I think it will happen with a sonicase, pegz, or plastic grocery bag.  Inside the venue I really do not like to leave my shit unattended but if i'm the only guy taping at the show and am there solo sometimes it happens. 

Offline Seth01

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2010, 02:55:48 PM »
Inside the venue I really do not like to leave my shit unattended but if i'm the only guy taping at the show and am there solo sometimes it happens.

I agree that it sucks to have to do that but I can't count the number of times I've had to.  :(   Thankfully, so far I've been lucky.
Mics: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14 cards, CA-11 omnis, CAFS, Naiant X-X omnis, AT853 cards (with 4.7k mod)
Pres: Naiant Bigbox, CA-9100, CA-UGLY, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Sony M-10, Zoom H4n, Edirol R-09 (retired)
Archive
eTree
Dime
YouTube Channel

Offline junkyardt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2010, 03:16:38 PM »
just wanted to put in a good word for the Canon 200DG. got one a few weeks ago and i really like the size, layout and quality of construction of it. might be too small for a lot of people's rigs on this board, but if the size is right for you give it a look. i think it's pretty impressive that it has 176 reviews on Amazon and 166 of those give it either 4 or 5 stars.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-200DG-Digital-Camera-Gadget/dp/B0002Y5WZC
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 03:18:12 PM by junkyardt »

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2010, 08:49:30 AM »
i've had my rakgear for what seems like forever now.  so easy

« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2010, 12:33:43 PM »
i've had my rakgear for what seems like forever now.  so easy

And so f'n big! ;)

Offline scb

« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2010, 12:41:59 PM »
some of these extra large camera type bags in this thread are much bigger

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2010, 12:51:47 PM »
A big difference between the two applications- Most of us don't lug our recording rigs for miles and miles..  But that isn't uncommon for camera bags.  I don't think shoulder bags are good for hikes because of the poor weight distribution, and they get in the way when climbing.  A downside with gear backpacks is they tend to preclude wearing another backpack.   Another downside to backpacks for gear is you need to remove it from your back to get into it.

I have a nice lowepro backpack for camera gear.  But if I want to bring food, water, rain pants, a jacket, it isn't really suited for those types of items.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
Re: BEST GEAR BAG??? Video Bag
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2010, 02:26:36 PM »
For those of you who shoot video, or have to lug a full open rig for miles to get into a festival might be interested in a prototype backpack PortaBrace has on ebay at the moment. Over 50% off MSRP but still $200. Might still be worth considering as I'm sure it can be easily repurposed to carry an audio rig.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Portabrace-HKP-3L-Camera-Hiking-Backpack-/110552746292

As for my perfect bag, due to the size of the FR2, which has as inconvenient a form factor as some Apogee and Portico units, I gave up on finding a utility bag and finally bought the PortaBrace AR-FR2. With the included Multi-D I couldn't be happier.

Offline dgale

• Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2010, 08:00:53 PM »
Certainly being aware as you head to the car after shows (and traveling in numbers as pointed out)  is a wise plan.  In regard to inside shows, I'm amazed more gear doesn't get swiped at shows - I can't tell you how many folks show up, set all their gear up and take off to go boogie for the entire show.  Can't say I ever remember someone actually grabbing gear in a show but seems like it must have happened.  I don't know anyone who's ever been mugged after a show but I do know a few folks who have taken their gear to their car after show or left some gear in the trunk during a show and had their cars broken into.  My stuff never leaves my site.  After a show, it's with me until I leave and then it's straight back to wherever I'm staying.  I've been tempted to go out partying or eating with folks after a show but I am not willing to leave my gear in the car to do it.  At this point in my life, no quicker way to put me in permanent taping retirement than to steal all my gear.
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2010, 03:18:35 PM »
Certainly being aware as you head to the car after shows (and traveling in numbers as pointed out)  is a wise plan.  In regard to inside shows, I'm amazed more gear doesn't get swiped at shows - I can't tell you how many folks show up, set all their gear up and take off to go boogie for the entire show.  Can't say I ever remember someone actually grabbing gear in a show but seems like it must have happened.  I don't know anyone who's ever been mugged after a show but I do know a few folks who have taken their gear to their car after show or left some gear in the trunk during a show and had their cars broken into.  My stuff never leaves my site.  After a show, it's with me until I leave and then it's straight back to wherever I'm staying.  I've been tempted to go out partying or eating with folks after a show but I am not willing to leave my gear in the car to do it.  At this point in my life, no quicker way to put me in permanent taping retirement than to steal all my gear.

My stuff never leaves my sight.  PERIOD.  If I have friends with me that will watch the gear for a few minutes then I may take a break for a bit.  Otherwise forget it, there are too many thieves out there!!

>:D

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2010, 06:18:35 PM »
I've used a Petrol in the past (nice bag..., but too big for my needs).  I use a Sonicase now...and find it to be the best bag I've run.  I ran my MMP in it sideways w/o any issue.  Access on the side.
I currently run LSD2 (and it fits in the bag, w/the shockmount on it) > littlebox > r9.  More room than I need even with 20' cable, patch cables, clamp or two, gaffers tape, Whiskey flask, glass apparatus +stash,  stun gun..etc etc.  Pretty much covering a gentleman's  needs for a night on the town.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 06:20:25 PM by Nick's Picks »

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2010, 02:41:07 PM »

I had someone switch off my switched mics once, but otherwise no trouble.
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2010, 03:33:32 PM »

My friend Brian and I had a V2 stolen at Panic 4/20/01. It had to have happened after the show while we were pulling the stand down and breaking down the sabra soms and mics. The person who did this had a plan and acted quickly. Mic D on here pulled over at a convenience store to get some rest on his way back from a Portsmouth Panic show and awoke to somebody grabbing his gear bag and running off into the night. Yeah of course the door should have been locked but unfortunately it wasn't. If I remember correctly he lost the mbho's, v2, ad2k, and dap1. ouch!!
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2010, 07:50:24 PM »
that sucks.
I had an R9 stolen at an ABB show a few years back.  It sucked....., really sucked.

Offline dgale

• Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2010, 10:25:08 AM »
My only memories along the stolen gear line...my buddy John put his gear (nak 300s, D5 etc.) after the first GD show at the BCT in '86 and then returned to party a bit in the park in front of the venue...came back <an hour later and someone had broken into his trunk and all his gear was gone.  I figure the hairballs that habitually hang in the park (or at least did at the time) were watching for folks to do this and then hit the cars accordingly.  I remember him showing up the next night with a D6 he had hastily gone out and bought and he no longer had his mics...we scrambled for a patch the other three nights.  I also remember my friend Mike going to see a show at Slims in SF maybe ~10 years ago - I think he got denied bringing gear in at the door or something like that, so he took it back to the car, put it in the trunk and returned to the show...you guessed the rest.  He lost his trusty Senn 421s he'd had for 20+ years, along with I think a D8 and some other gear.  At least in the Bay Area, most of the venues are not in the greatest of neighborhoods (ie the Fillmore, Slims, the Fox and Paramount in Oakland, etc) and even when the neighborhood seems okay, hairballs are everywhere, insides shows and out, and will prey on you the second you put your guard down.  As David said, my stuff doesn't leave my sight.  If they wouldn't let me into a show with my gear, I go home and miss the show before I leave it in the car unattended. 
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline scb

« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2010, 07:13:39 AM »
petrol users - you have to use right angle xlrs with a v2/v3, right?

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2010, 10:12:09 AM »

not necessarily. If you suspend the unit using velcro straps, you could probably get away with straight connectors. of course it is always better to have RA if possible.

Offline scb

« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2010, 10:18:24 AM »
wonder what the odds are that I can find some right angle cables by 6am tomorrow morning without going into NYC...

Offline scb

« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2010, 10:28:12 AM »
the 402x xlrs are kind of extra long...wonder if they'll fit without having to raise the v3 too high..

thanks

Offline Big Perm

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2010, 12:03:01 PM »
the 402x xlrs are kind of extra long...wonder if they'll fit without having to raise the v3 too high..

thanks

use some stubbie RA interconnects and avoid having to go into the back of the machine every time you set up your gear.  When i ran a V2, i left the interconnect in all the time, and would plug my mics into them. I found it MUCH easier than having to deal with taking the V2 out of the bag or flipping it over etc.
a
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         DPA 4015c
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2

Offline scb

« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2010, 06:54:06 PM »

not necessarily. If you suspend the unit using velcro straps, you could probably get away with straight connectors. of course it is always better to have RA if possible.

I have no idea how I would suspend the unit using velcro if i'm using both the xlr in and xlr out and NOT using riht angles.  I wouldn't really be able to hold on to anything on the left side since there'd be cables plugging in the entire left side.

right angles it is. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 07:37:44 PM by scb »

« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2010, 11:07:36 PM »
There is room to route elastic cord (or zip ties) between the xlr connectors.

Offline Big Perm

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2010, 07:23:55 AM »
I just stuck a large piece of velcro on th V2. Then just stuck it right to the divider in a Pegz-1. No straps, just regular ole thick Velcro from home depot.
a

I have no idea how I would suspend the unit using velcro if i'm using both the xlr in and xlr out and NOT using riht angles.  I wouldn't really be able to hold on to anything on the left side since there'd be cables plugging in the entire left side.

right angles it is.
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         DPA 4015c
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2

Offline 12milluz

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2010, 10:22:20 AM »
I'm looking for a bag for my AT853>littlebox>DR-07 rig. Does anyone have a similar rig and a picture of how its set up in their bag? I'm not sure what kind of bag would work well with a preamp with the controls on its side and a handheld recorder with screen. How do you guys organize a rig like this?
Audio-Technica AT853(c), Audio-Technica AT825>Naiant Littlebox>Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.278 seconds with 95 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com