Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: W.T.F. is an 'N-Box'?  (Read 16593 times)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: W.T.F. is an 'N-Box'?
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2010, 03:24:25 PM »
Now as to making a "general" box, I don't see the point.  All three actives above are priced right.  The only advantage I see is for AKG, since we can get a great hyper capsule for a cheap price.

And the bodies you are replacing are the priciest piece in the AKG setup. Neumann, Beyer, etc have bodies that are cheaper then the caps, and as such, there isn't nearly the gain that you get vs AKG.

It may be worthwhile to just get the mics + collettes from Beyerdynamic, etc and run a small battery box + polarization circuit.  Perhaps Jon could build one of those?  Even if it sold for the same price as the bodies, it would be smaller and lower power.

That's a cost/size ratio that I've looked at a lot. The beyer bodies for the ck9xx series are barely 3.5" or 4". I looked at his tinybox, and it's about the same length as the bodies, but not quite as think, so effectively you are cutting out 1 tinybox worth of space for a custom design.

At this point I'm sitting on the fence.  If someone, Jon or otherwise, built a custom 3-wire battery box with an extra +60V polarization voltage in it, and price it at say $200, I would probably hardwire (FET + other parts behind) my CK63 caps and use it.

I have a similar position as well, if someone could build a battery box for the beyers at a low cost (sub $200), I'd pick up one, but I don't gain enough to justify it over keeping the bodies and using a tinybox or some other phantom (12v or 48v) box.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I LIKE FISHIN
Re: W.T.F. is an 'N-Box'?
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2010, 03:31:53 PM »
The 60V battery box isn't hard, but there would need to be an agreed on format for the interconnection.  Actually I can probably support just about any configuration, as I do with my boxes.  Anyway, that box is the easy part, I could have that ready in a month.

I still think it's necessary to supply a PCB to do a capsule circuit, and then an interface PCB for that board.  The capsule PCB-->PFA solution is cheapest and would be compatible with any +48V preamp, but will only supply +41V to the capsule, and will use more power than a dedicated +60V battery box.

sounds like you could make a box that is compatible with the standard Schoeps cables. here is the parts pricing list where you an order a complete connector for schoeps http://www.posthorn.com/S_parts.html
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 03:54:07 PM by NOLAfishwater »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com