Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 24-Bit / 48kHz or 96kHz  (Read 54462 times)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: 24-Bit / 48kHz or 96kHz
« Reply #165 on: February 15, 2013, 07:15:19 AM »
One more question about this:  what's the best way to limit the bandwidth for this purpose?  Low pass filter?  Upsampling from a lower sampling frequency?

Either method works, although upsampling with a quality ADC/SRC is ideal.  If you go the standard filter route, you want a steeper than ordinary filter for optimal results.  For example, you could chain three second-order filters at slightly staggered corner frequencies.

SRCs are very highly optimized filters, so that's the simplest way.  I know it does sound a bit backwards to record at 88.2 just to downsample and then upsample for processing.  So you would only do that to potentially take advantage of a better filter than your converters possess.  Otherwise, you'd just record at 44.1 and upsample to process, which is what I tend to do.

Thanks, Jon.  That's kind of what I assumed based on some of your previous posts. 

On a related topic, any recommendations on an SRC?  Preferably not too expensive.  I have been using the r8brain standalone, which seems pretty good, but if there is something better that doesn't cost a fortune, I'm all ears...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com