Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping outside in the rain- is it worth trying?  (Read 24384 times)

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Taping outside in the rain- is it worth trying?
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2012, 02:32:07 PM »
I've been on both sides of the equation myself. I've dropped when I've deemed it not worth my effort, and I've been out in the driving rain also. Basically it's about the personal satisfaction in doing what your doing, which many of you have mentioned. Sometimes it comes across as a little bit of chest thumping I guess. If your having fun doing what your doing, then it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks of what you do.  ;D
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2012, 02:39:45 PM »
I have tapee out in the rain NUMEROUS times and I still find it fun and worth doing :) It takes a lil more than rain to scare me away :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2012, 10:51:45 AM »
The analogy was when I played golf and still shot my handicap in the rain...

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2012, 09:18:59 AM »
I've been taping for 12 years, and I honestly don't think I've ever gotten rained on. Even the outdoor shows I'v been to have been under some sort of shed, though. I've only been to a few actually open-air shows.
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2012, 09:30:25 AM »
Taping in the rain certainly isn't any fun, although personally I'd rather be prepared for the elements than to pack it in. 

+1

FWIW, I'm pretty sick of taping in the rain for awhile.

I like talking about taping in the rain more than I do actually taping in the rain. The worst is setting up in the rain as that takes help and care (someone else to hold the dry plastic over your bag so you can open it and assemble everything under cover).

I've been taping for 12 years, and I honestly don't think I've ever gotten rained on. Even the outdoor shows I'v been to have been under some sort of shed, though. I've only been to a few actually open-air shows.

I'd have to check the logs, but I think I've only run in the rain twice and neither of those are recently. I've setup for it a bunch but most of the time it doesn't actually rain and torn down with haste at the end of the show as it looked imminent.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2012, 11:46:33 AM »
Taping in the rain is, in my experience, improved dramatically by (a) the use of beater mics and (b) Fried Chicken Boy's "homemade limoncello".  Or at least, the nervousness level is much lower  >:D
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2012, 12:01:09 PM »
zest + alcohol + time + sugar water =  liquid sunshine.

I can confirm from personal experience that the home-made Lemoncello technique for recording during rain has been tested and confimed bi-annually down here in FL for the past 5+ years or so up at Spirit of the Suwannee.  I suspect next month to be no different.  There's a little ray of sun breaking through the clouds in every sip.

I can also confirm that it works just as well when the sun is shining.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Online dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2012, 06:25:41 PM »
I must be missing something or I feel the need to chime in, because the real story is taping during a snowstorm. The MN Tapers regularly have our outdoor January taping festivals and it gets to 30 or 40 below. For a while Ben Turnbull was up in International Falls (with Rocket J Squirrel and Bullwinke BTW) and while he does not like to talk about it, his tongue got stuck to a mic stand while taping "The Bad Plus" outdoors. To this day he talks with a lisp. Most of us have snowstorm horror stories of missing fingers and toes, because it is just so damn hard to operate the gear once you get to 20 below. But heck, it's a way of life out here. Rodeen moved to Australia for a while hoping his toe would grow back, but it never did. I personally will never forget taking pictures of moe. during "snowfest" and damaging my eye socket because it stuck to the camera eyepiece while snapping a shot of my rig. For a while I considered using the handle here cyclops, but out of respect for Ben, I thought it too hard to say with his lisp...

So I guess taping in the rain is also hard. With our weather patterns though we only have about 35 days above freezing so it is rarely an issue... ;D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 10:00:05 PM by dallman »
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2012, 06:31:14 PM »
I recorded the Breckenridge, CO moe. show in April 2011.

http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com/images_moe.html#snomoe

It was snowing like crazy, but not too cold (20's- 30's degrees). That must count for something... lol...  8)
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2012, 07:12:05 PM »
There are some underwater concerts down here in the FL Keys, mostly gimmics I assume.  I've never been and I'm not sure if there is actual underwater musicianship, possibly the playing of keyboards and midi percussion I suppose, but there are underwater PA speakers for the snorklers, scuba-dudes and free-dive swimmers.  I doubt any of these events have ever been taped by a hydrophone wielding concert taper, but it's a brave new world of opportunity- no problems with patrons talking over the music or fear of frozen toes.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2012, 12:53:10 PM »
Hmm..., snow taping sounds like a fun challenge. I may have to look for some MN or CO opportunities.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2012, 03:35:46 PM »
There are some underwater concerts down here in the FL Keys, mostly gimmics I assume.  I've never been and I'm not sure if there is actual underwater musicianship, possibly the playing of keyboards and midi percussion I suppose, but there are underwater PA speakers for the snorklers, scuba-dudes and free-dive swimmers.  I doubt any of these events have ever been taped by a hydrophone wielding concert taper, but it's a brave new world of opportunity- no problems with patrons talking over the music or fear of frozen toes.

Can you get a board patch?
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2012, 04:44:08 PM »
Sure-

Offline T-90

• Trade Count: (7)
  • ya aint gotta do what ya aint gotta do
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »
^ha!
"I dont sing...I dont dance...and I dont like to be around anyone who does" D.Letterman
DPA 4023, AT4051a, AT4053a
Countryman B3, AT853(4.7k,c,sc,h)
V3, FP24, Bm2p+ UA5, ST9100
OCM Edirol R-44, Sony PCM-M10

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2012, 08:57:52 AM »
Also, when stxxlthing in rain, you can wear the mics at the shoulder line and wear a hat.
Hat should be somewhat water repelling in nature so it can hold up for hours.
This way the mics won't get soaked and when teh volume of the music is OK you will not hear the rain.

(Werchter 2010, some artist)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com