Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping Guide Sign-ups! (Last chance I guess)  (Read 19625 times)

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
Taping Guide Sign-ups! (Last chance I guess)
« on: August 03, 2004, 03:17:34 PM »
Last Chance, since nobody gives a shit apparently i'll post one more plea and then can it.  People who have contributed stuff (read: humbug) will have their stuff sent to the archive.  The parts I have written will also be sent to be archived unless some people really want to do stuff.  This coulda been so cool, guess we are just a lazy bunch of people.

-sanjay

The layout and mods:

Intro by someone pro-taping (I have an idea but i'm not sure if i can pull it off)

Chapter 1: So you wanna be a taper?  mod:King Crimson
Chapter 2: General definitions, basic stuff to know, taper friendly bands, stealth vs. open, bootlegging vs.taping.  mod:King Crimson
Chapter 3: Equipment choice (Based upon level of $ to spend, discuss beginner rigs, with user ratings, suitability for stealth or open taping, approx cost etc)  mod:____________
   subchapter: mics (I would like to see users of different mics writing a paragraph or two, w/ or without pictures discussing how they like each one)
   subchapter: decks (same deal as above)
   subchapter: preamps and phantom power (same deal as above)  mod:phatdats
   subchapter: cables
   subchapter: stands, t-bars, ect.
Chapter 4: Being nice to tapers (patching)  mod:   yemncsu
Chapter 5: Being nice to soundmen (SBD)  mod:____________
Chapter 6: Technique (How to pick the sweet spot, mic configuration, levels, monitoring, troubleshooting)  mod: S_TL-Taper   
   subchapter: how to find the sweet spot
   subchapter: mic configurations
   subchapter: setting your levels and monitoring
   subchapter: troubleshooting: what to do when something goes wrong
Chapter 7: The Audience (subtitle: your biggest enemy and your friends) mod:____________
Chapter 8: How to stealth a recording  mod:Humbug  (topic limited to equipment and configurations, no discussion of sneaking equipment in)
Chapter 9: Matrix techniques  mod:mmmatt post matrixing: mod:____________
Chapter 10: The future (24 bit etc)  mod:____________
Chapter 11: Mastering (discuss different software and the basic do's and don'ts when mastering a recording  mod:____________
Chapter 12: Spread that recording!   mod:C.Clark
   subchapter: shn
   subchapter: flac
   subchapter: bittorrent
   subchapter: web resources to spread recordings (archive.org, bt.etree.org, sharingthegroove(not the most popular choice)

Appendix 1: Stories from the field  mod:DCDireWolf
Appendix 2: History of 'bootlegging' and how it became live taping  mod:____________
Appendix 3: Equipment mods and Taper DIY (description of how to mod equipment (digimod ua-5, gain knobs on the dmic, NJB3 batts, ect)  mod:____________
Appendix 4: Archival and storage information.  mod:____________
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 05:34:19 PM by sirchek »
mics & cameras

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Taping Guide Sign-ups!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 03:21:34 PM »
yeah i probably won't need an assistant mod for technique. i merely said that for the equipment section since there are so many different types of gear. i'll be good and if i need help i'll do some outside consulting ;)

sorry for the confusion.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 04:12:37 PM »
Unless this is going to stay on this board, the less that is written in Chapter 8, the better.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Brian

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 04:18:57 PM »
Unless this is going to stay on this board, the less that is written in Chapter 8, the better.

^^^^^^ good call. i think we need further discussion on how to handle this topic.....

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 04:49:23 PM »
alright, i didn't really think of the ramifications, i was just trying to cover all topics.  On one hand it could be a very negative part of the guide from a legal and ethical standpoint, but on the other hand as a taper i know I have stealthed and i'm sure most people here have  or have been willing to as part of their hobby of taping.  so we should weigh ethics vs what we are trying to do which is educate.
mics & cameras

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 04:50:48 PM »
I think a chapter on appropriate taper friendly online community should be included:

ETREE and Furthur should be mentioned, as well as Bands That Allow Taping (BTAT)...

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 04:54:19 PM »
I think a chapter on appropriate taper friendly online community should be included:

ETREE and Furthur should be mentioned, as well as Bands That Allow Taping (BTAT)...

T

what about etree and further mentioned in the spread your shows section, and bands that allow taping as a seperate appendix, kind of an alphabetical listing.  as for taper community/online ness we could include a chapter or subchapter for that.
mics & cameras

Offline Brian

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 04:56:12 PM »
trying to list all the bands that allow taping in the appendix would be futile and become obselete within weeks. there are always new bands / unknown bands out there that allow open taping. just a thought.

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2004, 05:56:28 PM »
I'd like to mod topic 8.

Almost all of my taping is stealth (never seen a taping mic stand this side of the atlantic!). The only time I'm not stealthing is when I have advance permission from the artist or manager, which is probably just 10% of the time. And even then, the equipment and technique is the same. Tricky subject, but I'm sure you'll all help me!
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2004, 05:59:52 PM »
I'd like to mod topic 8.

Almost all of my taping is stealth (never seen a taping mic stand this side of the atlantic!). The only time I'm not stealthing is when I have advance permission from the artist or manager, which is probably just 10% of the time. And even then, the equipment and technique is the same. Tricky subject, but I'm sure you'll all help me!

alright i'll put you up there, but that topic is kinda up for debate, if it gets axed you can pick a backup if you'd like
mics & cameras

Offline DCDireWolf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2004, 05:59:58 PM »
I'll take Appendix 1 and/or 2.

Peace.
"It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness."  -Jerry Garcia

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2004, 06:05:15 PM »
I think what Matt is trying to get to, is that we all have good techniques for stealthing, alot of which work regularly...I think the last thing we want to do is to set ourselves up so that venues/bands have all of these methods in one handy dandy guide to reference....will make stealth taping a thing of the past as quickly as walk through metal detectors are doing it

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2004, 06:06:15 PM »
I think what Matt is trying to get to, is that we all have good techniques for stealthing, alot of which work regularly...I think the last thing we want to do is to set ourselves up so that venues/bands have all of these methods in one handy dandy guide to reference....will make stealth taping a thing of the past as quickly as walk through metal detectors are doing it

what if we made that section but made it only for this site?
mics & cameras

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2004, 06:10:14 PM »
what if we made that section but made it only for this site?

unfortunatley there is no way to control it...it will make it off this site whether we like it or not....kinda like our tapes ending up on ebay

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2004, 06:12:49 PM »
don't forget

Chapter 13:  Evil Republicans and why we hate em!  ;)
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2004, 06:21:28 PM »
You guys do realize that to actually do this in a way that won't suck it will have to be something like 300-400 pages, right?  Oh, and Chapter 5 doesn't really need to be more than a paragraph.  Just be polite and courteous to the soundguy when asking for a patch, and make sure he's not busy at the time.  There, I just wrote Chapter 5 in a sentence. ;D  Chapter 9 could be a book all of it's own.  You'd have to cover on site matrixes (with equipment) and post matrixes on both Macs and PCs.

Not that I don't think this is a good thing.  I just think you guys may not know what you're getting into. ;)
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2004, 07:33:27 PM »
well 300 pages might be a bit much but as much stuff as people contribute will go in, so if I get 300 + pages so be it  ;D  right now i really need something to keep me busy anyways..
mics & cameras

hexyjones

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2004, 07:49:40 PM »
I think the steath stuff should be limited to gear and technique...what works and what doesn't...where to sit  - where not to sit...

As for eluding security checks...sneaking gear in...on that one - we should all keep our collective secrets to ourselves...

Offline goose

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2004, 07:59:50 PM »
[old guy attitude on]
I'm not sure I get the desire behind undertaking such a project.  Most of the information is on this site, and frankly, that is spoonfeeding newbs as much as I am comfortable.  I am disappointed with the sense of entitlement and lack of willingness to learn that I see in a lot of people.  Too many people, IMO, want stuff handed to them rather than researching, reading, and experiencing - just as this project is meant to do.
[/old guy]

The above comment is not aimed at anyone in particular, just an observation.  This site has become the repository for taping information on the internet - why is a summary of ts.com info and experience necessary?

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2004, 08:25:45 PM »
[old guy attitude on]
I'm not sure I get the desire behind undertaking such a project.  Most of the information is on this site, and frankly, that is spoonfeeding newbs as much as I am comfortable.  I am disappointed with the sense of entitlement and lack of willingness to learn that I see in a lot of people.  Too many people, IMO, want stuff handed to them rather than researching, reading, and experiencing - just as this project is meant to do.
[/old guy]

The above comment is not aimed at anyone in particular, just an observation.  This site has become the repository for taping information on the internet - why is a summary of ts.com info and experience necessary?

I agree 100% with your comment that some newbs want everything handed to them when they want them, but i also realise as I have been only doing this for two years that even as you progress in the hobby it would be nice to have something to refer to.  And only those who truely want to learn would read this book.  Those who want things quickly answered and handed to them won't want to read through a book any more than they wont want to research.  In my mind this wont be a taping for dummies but instead a reference tool for tapers of all levels putting together hard to find and relativly common information together.  Those who are too lazy to research certainly won't want to look at a book.
mics & cameras

hexyjones

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2004, 10:10:41 PM »
[old guy attitude on]
[/old guy]

Man - I remember trying to find taping/mic/recording info BEFORE THE INTERNET...ORTF?...you may have heard about it...but where, where, where, could you find any real info...? It was very hard to come by before the net...

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2004, 10:15:27 PM »
[old guy attitude on]
[/old guy]

I agree with this wholeheartedly....part of what I like the most about this hobby is the friends I have made along the way in learning about it...and also the infamoust screw ups I have had....nothing teaches better than your own mistakes...

Offline DCDireWolf

• Taperssection Member
  • You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2004, 01:04:01 AM »
I dunno, what's the big deal if there's a primer in print for people to read if they choose, not read if they choose.  Particpate if you want, don't particpate if you don't want.  I doubt the guide will have any significant impact on this forum, it will continue to chug along in all its glory.  *shrug*
"It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness."  -Jerry Garcia

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2004, 02:50:00 PM »
we still need more volunteers, lets not loose yesterdays momentum!
mics & cameras

jpschust

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2004, 07:34:21 AM »
hey, i just remembered something with indesign.  do not use an old version, only use the newest version.  old templates are not compatible with new versions.  it really screwed me over on my last project.  (created probably 200 extra hours of work for me)

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2004, 02:43:49 AM »
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?action=search

you can probably get about 100 pages of info in a few hours of ctrl+c/ctrl+v

Offline C.Clark

• Rediscovering the Magic!
    • Too Many Shows!
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2004, 04:40:34 AM »
ill do ch. 12, spread that recording
Current Rig:
Mics: Neumann SKM184, Neumann SKM185, AKG C414 XLS/ST, DPA ST2015
Recorder: SD MixPre-6ii, SD MixPre-10ii
Extras: SD MixPre-D, SD USBPre2, Sony TCD-D8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former Rigs:
ADK TL --> Segue Dogstars --> SD 722
AT4051a --> Segue Dogstars --> MP-2 --> SD 722
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> VxPocket V2 --> Laptop
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> V2 --> Mod SBM-1 --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> MP-2 --> AD1000 --> Sony TCD-D100
AKGC1000s --> Denecke PS/2 --> Denecke AD-20 --> Sony MiniDisc
http://db.etree.org/cpclar

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2004, 05:25:45 PM »
I'd like to do the matrix chapter, but I have no experience with "post-matrixing" Those are 2 completely different animals IMO and should be done separately.  The post matrixing is more closely related to post production, then taping technique, and may be best covered that way.   Also there should be a chapter on approaching, and building rapport with bands and management.  I would say that between that chapter and the patching chapter you could remove the "be nice to the sound guy" chapter.  If that idea is well received and you don't want to split the matrix chapter, I will take that one instead, or both if nobody else wants them.
     All that being said.  Based on the comments of disagreement with such a project:  I don't think it will be that time consuming if we have a lot of people working on it together.  I think that many of these subjects are going to have many different opinions, and the moderator may not agree with the masses, so we will have to have general consensus on some of the topics as opposed to just one voice.  And as far as the "one stop shopping" comments... I think that this will cut down on some of the "dumb" questions that newbies (including myself in the past) have asked, but it may also cut down on the people posting and getting involved in the community.  I disagree strongly with the stealth chapter, for all the reasons listed earlier in this thread.  Weather we justify it in our minds or not, it is an illegal activity, and those techniques are best spread out as opposed to a one click guide.  The things that are most beneficial in stealthing are the creative ways people do it and those ways come from not knowing how everyone else does it. 
     My opinion is that this will be a good thing, but I felt I should play devils advocate.  If this flies, I definitely want to contribute what I can.
Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2004, 08:52:17 PM »
I'm on vacation right now so I haven't been updating the thing for awhile, just wanted to let you know I haven't disappeared.  I'm in Jackson, WY so I found a computer but I wont be home till monday to update.  Hope all is well.

-Sanjay
mics & cameras

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2004, 09:16:03 PM »
it is an illegal activity

No it's not.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2004, 11:47:06 PM »
it is an illegal activity

No it's not.
I'm sorry John, I'm not the authority on that.  I'll just revise my comment to say it is often times against the rules.  Please forgive, no offence intended.
Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2004, 12:18:41 AM »
I'm not offended.  It's just there's no "law" against taping.  It just goes against the rules you agree to when you enter a concert, which is why they can kick you out for it.  You can't be arrested for it...

No need for apologies. ;D

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2004, 02:46:42 AM »
alright due to my internet being cancelled bc of "illegal activity" it took longer than expected, but updates are done.  If everyone could start to put together their chapters however they would like (seeking help from others, doing it yourself, ctrl +V from the archives, whatever lets just get this thing rolling.  Also if you get outside help from other ts members or from posts include where you got it from.  In the end I would like to have credit where credit is due and I would hate to miss anyone.  Thanks again and please fill the rest of the spots.  This has the potential to be something really good.

-Sanjay
mics & cameras

Offline Humbug

• Trading site
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2004, 04:31:53 AM »
I'm not offended.  It's just there's no "law" against taping.  It just goes against the rules you agree to when you enter a concert, which is why they can kick you out for it.  You can't be arrested for it...

No need for apologies. ;D

I really need a UK lawyer to confirm what the status is of stealth taping over here. Anyone got any ideas how to do this? I don't know any personally, and if you read the thread I started on the Open Forum, I was recently accused of illegal activity by a bands manager.

I'll get started on a draft for the section.

Offline C.Clark

• Rediscovering the Magic!
    • Too Many Shows!
Re: Taping Guide Sign-ups! (MORE VOLUNTEERS STILL NEEDED!!!)
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2004, 12:45:35 AM »
what time would you like drafts of the chapters, kind of deadline so people know
how much time they have to do this thing, i am just curious, as to how much ill go
into my chapter.
Current Rig:
Mics: Neumann SKM184, Neumann SKM185, AKG C414 XLS/ST, DPA ST2015
Recorder: SD MixPre-6ii, SD MixPre-10ii
Extras: SD MixPre-D, SD USBPre2, Sony TCD-D8
Former Rigs:
ADK TL --> Segue Dogstars --> SD 722
AT4051a --> Segue Dogstars --> MP-2 --> SD 722
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> VxPocket V2 --> Laptop
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> V2 --> Mod SBM-1 --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> MP-2 --> AD1000 --> Sony TCD-D100
AKGC1000s --> Denecke PS/2 --> Denecke AD-20 --> Sony MiniDisc
http://db.etree.org/cpclar

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2004, 01:23:53 AM »
what time would you like drafts of the chapters, kind of deadline so people know
how much time they have to do this thing, i am just curious, as to how much ill go
into my chapter.

How about Mid September for a draft, overall i'd like to see the final thing done by around christmas maybe? is that realistic?  So I would say September 15th, for a draft, and that way if there are undone sections those who are willing and finished might be able to take another.
mics & cameras

jpschust

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2004, 11:29:01 AM »
id say, looking at the task you are undertaking from a cursory view, december is going to be tough.  think about it this way, you've got all the drafts to get in (if you say september 15th you are going to get at least half by october 15th) then you've got edits and rewrites.  then you've got to set the pages and photos.  you have a LOT of work still ahead plus you lose about a week in november for thanksgiving, and this is also the season where people go away a lot. 

I might shoot for more like March-ish. 

Offline Brian

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2004, 11:55:49 AM »
yeah what chapter do i have again ???

:P ;) 8)

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2004, 12:01:05 PM »
yeah what chapter do i have again ???

:P ;) 8)

Chapter 6: Technique (How to pick the sweet spot, mic configuration, levels, monitoring, troubleshooting)  mod: S_TL-Taper   
   subchapter: how to find the sweet spot
   subchapter: mic configurations
   subchapter: setting your levels and monitoring
   subchapter: troubleshooting: what to do when something goes wrong

Yeah i figured it wasn't gonna be done that early, but i also figured if i set deadlines earlier than maybe it would get done in my lifetime (read: next summer)  thanks again
mics & cameras

Offline Brian

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2004, 12:04:21 PM »
i was kidding hence the " :P ;) 8) "

i'm all over it. definitely try to get it to you around 9-15 :)

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2004, 12:07:14 PM »
i was kidding hence the " :P ;) 8) "

i'm all over it. definitely try to get it to you around 9-15 :)

damn internet sarcasm, gets me every time  :P  thanks again
mics & cameras

jpschust

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2004, 12:09:06 PM »
when it comes time to set full text pages or even pages with graphics drop me a line.  ive got the inside scoop on the tricks of indesign.  ill need to reinstall on my machine, but thats no issue. 

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2004, 12:13:24 PM »
when it comes time to set full text pages or even pages with graphics drop me a line.  ive got the inside scoop on the tricks of indesign.  ill need to reinstall on my machine, but thats no issue. 

thanks i'll most likely take you up on that offer, i get my copy from work on wednesday when I get back to school, then the fun starts.
mics & cameras

Offline Humbug

• Trading site
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2004, 05:59:41 PM »
Sirchek, I'm about 50% there, most of the typing is done, some pics are in, I've even got permission from a website owner to copy some useful stuff he has there. 'nother few days.

What should I do with the draft? Email it to you? Post it here?

I expect my draft to get lots of corrections and additions from the good people here.

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2004, 06:24:23 PM »
you can email it to me if you'd like, sms21@geneseo.edu  thanks for all your hard work
mics & cameras

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
Hey,
Just to let everyone know.  I have a full plate between now and sept 22nd with our local parade of homes (many of the area builders get together and we have a big dick contest) I am the chairperson for the entire event, so I don't think I'll have a draft for you by the 15th.  After that I will be flying to Guam to help get my mother moved to FL and will be returning on the 7th of October.  If I can find a way to power my lappy, I will use part of the 24 hr flight to do it on the plane, and e-mail from Guam.  If not, it may not be until I get back.  I would say I should have something to you by mid October, but I will try to get it done much sooner.

*****As a side note***** What format do you want these documents?  Do you want it as word, text, or something else?

Matt

Offline Sanjay

Hey,
Just to let everyone know.  I have a full plate between now and sept 22nd with our local parade of homes (many of the area builders get together and we have a big dick contest) I am the chairperson for the entire event, so I don't think I'll have a draft for you by the 15th.  After that I will be flying to Guam to help get my mother moved to FL and will be returning on the 7th of October.  If I can find a way to power my lappy, I will use part of the 24 hr flight to do it on the plane, and e-mail from Guam.  If not, it may not be until I get back.  I would say I should have something to you by mid October, but I will try to get it done much sooner.

*****As a side note***** What format do you want these documents?  Do you want it as word, text, or something else?

Matt

word is just fine, please take your time we all have lives, it was more of a guideline anyway  :P take your time man and have a good time in the nice weather.
mics & cameras

Offline Elvis Hitler

• Taperssection Member
    • Video & Audio List
Re: Taping Guide Sign-ups! (Rough Drafts by Sept 15th, More Volunteers Needed!!)
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2004, 05:01:06 PM »
Is there going to be any mention of video taping, or is that an entirely different monster?

Offline Sanjay

Re: Taping Guide Sign-ups! (Rough Drafts by Sept 15th, More Volunteers Needed!!)
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2004, 10:16:29 PM »
Is there going to be any mention of video taping, or is that an entirely different monster?

quite a different monster and one i would prefer to stay away from, its usually illegal and we aren't trying to get tapers into any more trouble
mics & cameras

Offline Elvis Hitler

• Taperssection Member
    • Video & Audio List
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2004, 11:20:33 PM »

its usually illegal and we aren't trying to get tapers into any more trouble

Really?   I've found that many of the bands I like encourage both audio & video taping, including

Hank Williams III
The Melvins
Southern Culture on the Skids
Queens of the Stone Age
Brant Bjork & the Brothers
Nashville Pussy
Wayne "The Train" Hancock
BR549
Jucifer
Melt Banana
Crisis
Pro Pain
Corrosion of Conformity
The Mermen
Legendary Shack Shakers

I very rarely stealth videotape, unless it's a band I really like that doesn't allow it.  Almost everything I tape is done with the band's approval.

Just finished up a 4 camera mix of a Southern Culture show in Louisville KY this past May, and am hoping to produce a video they will sell at shows in the near future.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 11:22:31 PM by Elvis Hitler »

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2004, 12:59:06 AM »

its usually illegal and we aren't trying to get tapers into any more trouble

Really?   I've found that many of the bands I like encourage both audio & video taping, including

usually is the key word, its a whole other animal and there isn't enough people to cover it probably
mics & cameras

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2004, 01:10:06 AM »
Chapter 13: How to make things go BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM. mod: Daryan Lenz

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2004, 04:19:24 PM »
not trying to be a weasel, but what about

Chapter 13:  DON'T spread that recording

why, in some cases, it's not wise to spread indiscriminately to the masses.  learn to use your judgement, but above all else obey the band / tour mgr's request to the letter.

subchapter:  sharingthegroove -- when it first hits, it feels good, like a speedball.  but what happens when it's in the hands of strangers?
subchapter:  when things go wrong -- how to identify and end ebay sales of your master
subchapter:  help!  my master has ended up on an italian bootleg.  do i have any recourse?

and no, i'm not kidding.  if we're writing a comprehensive guide, i think a word on what can go wrong after the field recording is complete & how to fix it is important.

Offline Sanjay

Re: Taping Guide Sign-ups! (Anyone Have Some Rough Drafts??, Volunteers Needed!!
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2004, 07:18:34 PM »
anyone have anything done?
mics & cameras

Offline joeshambro

• Taperssection Member
  • taper turned professional FOH mixer
Re: Taping Guide Sign-ups! (Anyone Have Some Rough Drafts??, Volunteers Needed!!
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2004, 04:17:44 AM »
Chapter 5 - part of my job, i'll go out with bands i'm working with as a touring soundman

Chapter 6 sweet spot subchapter - i can write until i'm green in the face about this thanks to my education in this subject  :o

Chapter 7 - i know a bunch about this too ;)

Chapter 9 (onsite and post matrix):  i have experience doing lots of on-site matrix tapes professionally as well as after-the-fact, so i can write in pretty detailed a manner about it.  i know someone's already on it but i can add a professional prospective from my experience, and how to do it yourself post-wise.

Chapter 11- i run a protools-based studio in my business, so i'm really familiar with a lot of mastering techniques, from basic to complex, so i can write about that...

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2004, 09:37:05 AM »
Chapter 5 - part of my job, i'll go out with bands i'm working with as a touring soundman

Chapter 6 sweet spot subchapter - i can write until i'm green in the face about this thanks to my education in this subject  :o

Chapter 7 - i know a bunch about this too ;)

Chapter 9 (onsite and post matrix):  i have experience doing lots of on-site matrix tapes professionally as well as after-the-fact, so i can write in pretty detailed a manner about it.  i know someone's already on it but i can add a professional prospective from my experience, and how to do it yourself post-wise.

Chapter 11- i run a protools-based studio in my business, so i'm really familiar with a lot of mastering techniques, from basic to complex, so i can write about that...

If you'd be willing to take this on it would be great! +T let me know
mics & cameras

Offline Humbug

• Trading site
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2004, 09:29:25 AM »
Getting there with the stealth section - about 75% complete. Sorry for the delay.

Offline yemncsu

• Taperssection Member
  • Two man enter one man leave!
    • Downhome Groove.com
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2004, 03:06:32 PM »
I am still truckin along with the Patching chapter.  shouldn't be much longer.  My band has a big show this weekend and that has taken most of my free time.  Should be a week or two.

Josh
ADK A-51TL>UA-5>MTII

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2004, 04:15:34 PM »
I am still truckin along with the Patching chapter.  shouldn't be much longer.  My band has a big show this weekend and that has taken most of my free time.  Should be a week or two.

Josh

Getting there with the stealth section - about 75% complete. Sorry for the delay.

thanks for the updates keep up the good work!  +T
mics & cameras

Offline Humbug

• Trading site
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2004, 06:14:30 AM »
I've just sent you the stealth guide...work in progress of course!

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2004, 03:31:59 PM »

if you don't mind, please post

jpschust

« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2004, 10:42:00 AM »

schwill, why not let it get edited first

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2004, 02:03:09 PM »

schwill, why not let it get edited first

yep

Offline Brian

« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2004, 02:14:32 PM »
schwill did you have a sex change

or did i just miss the thread :P

eidt: i've been really backed up with school and work and have honestly forgotten about this project.  my apologies. i'm off work monday and will have sometime to get my chapter started.

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2004, 02:18:31 PM »

I wish

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2004, 03:08:59 PM »

or did i just miss the thread :P

eidt: i've been really backed up with school and work and have honestly forgotten about this project.  my apologies. i'm off work monday and will have sometime to get my chapter started.

thanks for the update!
mics & cameras

jpschust

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
Wow... this is turning into a book!  On-site Matrix sectiuon is about 1/2 way completed.  It's looking like it is going to be about 20 pages (in word).  I'm being very detailed and descriptive.  I hope that is what everybody wants!  Should be helpfull to anyone who reads it though.  I know when I started it would have been a blessing.  I hope to be done in about a week.  Sorry this is taking so long.

Matt

Offline Sanjay

Wow... this is turning into a book!  On-site Matrix sectiuon is about 1/2 way completed.  It's looking like it is going to be about 20 pages (in word).  I'm being very detailed and descriptive.  I hope that is what everybody wants!  Should be helpfull to anyone who reads it though.  I know when I started it would have been a blessing.  I hope to be done in about a week.  Sorry this is taking so long.

Matt

nice i look forward to that, and the new toys  ;D  thanks for the update +T

I am also working on some sections that seem to have died along the way.  It might take longer than expected but I fully expect this to come to light!
mics & cameras

Offline Humbug

• Trading site
Hope people arent forgetting about this...its a good project. Anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
On-site matrix section is DONE!!!!!!  Wooohooo!!!  One less monkey on my back!!!  If anyone wants to fact check or grammar check this for me please let me know.  But let me warn, it is 21 pages long without pictures!  I sure hope a few others have come through.  This can be a good tool if we all do what we said we would.
Matt

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
so... is this project offically belly up?

Matt

Offline setboy

so... is this project offically belly up?

Matt

hope not
that would suck after all the work some of you put it to it:P

Raphael

Offline Sanjay

Nope, however I only have a few sections of work, matt's and humbugs's stealth ones being the ones that come to mind.  I am working on writing the leftover sections myself but being that I don't have the most extensive knowledge of this stuff it may be more meager than I had hoped.  I have gotten myself a copy of indesign and I have been working on formatting some of the stuff i've recieved.  so no the project is not belly up, I just don't see this as being done in the near future.   :(
mics & cameras

Offline Humbug

• Trading site
Re: Taping Guide Sign-ups! (Did You Forget About It??)
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2004, 11:42:09 AM »
Cool, keep up the good work +t.

Things are a bit one-sided as I only stealth tape, but I might be able to come up with part of chapter 7 (audience, from a stealth viewpoint), and chapter 12 (spreading - done lots of this, but never used the archive).

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2004, 11:43:55 AM »
Cool, keep up the good work +t.

Things are a bit one-sided as I only stealth tape, but I might be able to come up with part of chapter 7 (audience, from a stealth viewpoint), and chapter 12 (spreading - done lots of this, but never used the archive).

cool +T right back at ya.  Your in the UK right?  If so I might eventually have a few questions for you about places I plan to tape when I am over there.
mics & cameras

Offline Humbug

• Trading site
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2004, 11:50:55 AM »
cool +T right back at ya.  Your in the UK right?  If so I might eventually have a few questions for you about places I plan to tape when I am over there.

I've taped at a good percentage of the venues in and around London (which probably has in excess of 100 venues ranging from back rooms of pubs to Wembley Arena). I think I wrote something up ages ago in the archive here, but yes, pm welcome. When are you over and which bands?

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2004, 11:55:46 AM »
I'm moving to spain in january, so over easter breaks and such I plan to venture to london to catch guster, but I am also interested in trying to see cake and maybe the darkness if they are around at that time.  I know guster is open taping but I have a feeling there will be problems with that since i rarely hear of open taping allowed in europe.  Oh and of course U2, though I believe they will be making a barcelona stop eventually
mics & cameras

Offline Humbug

• Trading site
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2004, 04:14:19 AM »
Done some searching; both Guster and Cake are playing The Garage in Islington, not my favourite venue as the sound system is very average. Pretty dingy there also. The Astoria (for Cake) is a better bet, although it varies a lot with who's running the board.

I have no idea when The Darkness are next touring; if they've got any sense they'll be in the studio working on album no. 2.

Re open taping - on the couple of times I've done this I've still used stealth equipment; I've never seen a mic stand used this side of the pond, although I know it was done by someone who flew in from the states and had permission from the band in advance.

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2005, 08:55:34 AM »
I just woke up....and didn't reat the whole thread but......is it me or is there no chapter on remote power?
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2005, 05:45:33 PM »
I just woke up....and didn't reat the whole thread but......is it me or is there no chapter on remote power?

There is no chapter on anything... this is a bust.

Matt

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2005, 01:47:11 PM »
matt- can you get me the info on matrixing?  i'll get it into the archive.  if anyone wrote something for this project, please send me a PM, I'll work what you have into the archive.  thanks!

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2005, 10:51:35 AM »

Matt

Not completely a bust, but nobody fucking did anything so I have been trying to write it on my own in between work and classes.  Have two or three chapters done.
mics & cameras

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2005, 12:08:28 PM »

Matt

Not completely a bust, but nobody fucking did anything so I have been trying to write it on my own in between work and classes.  Have two or three chapters done.

Maybe it's time to give it up and just contribute stuff to the Archive.  Your time would be a lot better spent doing that then trying to write a taping book on your own...

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2005, 05:36:07 PM »

Maybe it's time to give it up and just contribute stuff to the Archive.  Your time would be a lot better spent doing that then trying to write a taping book on your own...

I just may, this serves as a last call.  its clear pretty much nobody gives a fuck and it has become a joke.  I just get -T'd for even trying to defend it.  So last call or i'm canning it, if I feel like it i'll archive what I have.
mics & cameras

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.484 seconds with 113 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com