Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help with stealth soundboards!  (Read 22790 times)

Offline philR

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Help with stealth soundboards!
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2004, 03:27:33 PM »
We used to have one, but someone stole it after a gig.  Just unplugged it and walked away with it.   >:(

that sucks, man where do people get off sometimes.
Neumann AK40 > LC3KA > KM100 > V2 > 744t

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2004, 03:39:43 PM »
An active patchbay with buffering opamps is fairly easy to make. I made one a while back, to use for recording bands when I did sound. The thing is, you don't want a passive device, because if a problem developes, like a short from someone pulling out a cord. You don't want that to affect the mix.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2004, 04:16:10 PM »
Ditto. A local venue here in Boston stopped allowing SBDs even for taper-friendly acts after one guy blew out the house system by plugging in without permission. Not cool at all.

what venue do you speak of? out of curiosity...

Harper's Ferry in Allston...I think at Topaz back in January...
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Swampy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2004, 06:48:28 PM »
I think its kind of funny how everyone gets their panties in a bunch when someone talks about stealthing a sbd as if its morally wrong, but stealthing with mics is okay, right?... I obviously see the reasons why stealthing a sbd is a baaaad idea, but IMO its not any different than stealthing with mics... No need for - karma.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2004, 06:57:48 PM »
Alex:

I see a big difference -- stealthing with mics doesn't risk damaging or destroying the club's (or band's) sound system and isn't a physical intrusion into the property of the club or band. 

If I'm stealthing with mics, the most I could do to diminish another attendee's experience would be to "shhsh" her.  OTOH, if my stealthing a sbd feed damages the sound reinforcement system in any way, I'm harming everybody's experience. 

Offline Brian

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2004, 07:00:42 PM »
i think the reason people are being harsh on this guy is because he's asking about what outputs he would need to plug into when it's different for every board in terms of location and type and could possibly cause harm to the production of the show.  he obviously has no idea how exactly soundboards work or what kind of outputs are on different popular FOH boards.   people have mentioned tapers in the past messing with the house sound due to trying to stealth the FOH or Monitor board.  the only thing that can go wrong with a stealther with microphones is that his/her shit doesn't work for whatever reason or they get popped by security.  the quality and production of the show have no possibility of getting messed up by some dumbass and everybody else still ha a good time.  so in regards to this guy he essentially needs to learn what he is trying to do on his own.  besides who wants a soundboard tape anyway :P  

edit:  yeah darrin....beat me to it. :)

Offline redseed

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Word to all of the business ladies!
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2004, 07:16:07 PM »
Wow, you guys trashed me! Do a search on this board...many people have mentioned stealth soundboards before and I don't think anybody's been trashed like this! How could just plugging into a line out fuck everything over?...it would be different if it were a line in I were plugging into. But that's why I'm asking first. I'm not just randomly plugging into the board to see what works here! If anybody else who's done a stealth soundboard cares to help me out, please feel free!

Offline Brian

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2004, 07:25:38 PM »
i think the best thing you can do is figure out the exact brand and model of the soundboards in the venues you tape regularly in.   then just find their specification sheets on the maker's website to determine where you need to plug into and what connectors you'll need.

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2004, 07:29:33 PM »
That, or just invest in some solid kick-ass stealth gear. Stealthing a SBD just seems...I dunno...kinda gay, and a HELL of a lot more like stealing than just standing there, captuing the soundwaves from the audience.

Coffee is for Closers

MG m200>AM Hyperconducters>V3>JayBeeThree/h120

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2004, 07:29:46 PM »
hey bro maybe you mean no harm but WOW! ...my initial thought is that is a good way to get your ass kicked by the sound man (hey man mind if I drive your car for a while....is that your beer???) and wreck any chance of aud taping for everyone else.  I see you mean no harm but niether did others that ended up causing havoc.  

As for stealthing w/ mics...you are on your own and not potentially messing up the entire sound board.

hopefully santa will get you some mics...that way all the sound is captured as not always do the drums go throught the board.

peace
jah

Wow, you guys trashed me! Do a search on this board...many people have mentioned stealth soundboards before and I don't think anybody's been trashed like this! How could just plugging into a line out fuck everything over?...it would be different if it were a line in I were plugging into. But that's why I'm asking first. I'm not just randomly plugging into the board to see what works here! If anybody else who's done a stealth soundboard cares to help me out, please feel free!
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2004, 07:32:11 PM »
i think the best thing you can do is figure out the exact brand and model of the soundboards in the venues you tape regularly in.   then just find their specification sheets on the maker's website to determine where you need to plug into and what connectors you'll need.

if you tape there regularly try making firends???? (not you STL ;-)  )  btw STL, ennjoying the fricken cold snap ;-)
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2004, 07:33:19 PM »
redseed:

If you try to do this, the best thing that can be accomplished is getting a SBD tape... In my opinion, not the best recording you could get...

BUT, and it's a big BUT the worst you could do is:

get arrested
 ruin the concert for hundreds or thousands of people
 be liable for repairs to the equiptment (not just the mixing board, but the amps, speakers, anything that may be ruined

please don't attempt this...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Brian

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2004, 07:34:49 PM »
if you tape there regularly try making firends???? (not you STL ;-)  )  btw STL, ennjoying the fricken cold snap ;-)

yeah i was just scurrying him and the subject he brought up away from here ;)

i work at a car wash.............it's MISERABLE!!!  FREEZING!  thanks for thinking of me :P

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2004, 10:19:31 PM »
its not any different than stealthing with mics... No need for - karma.

Stealthing with mics can be argued to be documentation of a public performance.

Stealing a board feed is just that, stealing.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline edgar

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2004, 10:40:54 PM »
hey bro maybe you mean no harm but WOW! ...my initial thought is that is a good way to get your ass kicked by the sound man (hey man mind if I drive your car for a while....is that your beer???) and wreck any chance of aud taping for everyone else.  I see you mean no harm but niether did others that ended up causing havoc. 

As for stealthing w/ mics...you are on your own and not potentially messing up the entire sound board.

hopefully santa will get you some mics...that way all the sound is captured as not always do the drums go throught the board.

peace
jah

heh, i was gonna say - i know several FOH guys that would pound someone for much less than trying to steal a sbd feed.
SP-CMC-2>SP-SPSB-2>M1

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.222 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com