Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help with stealth soundboards!  (Read 22789 times)

Offline redseed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Word to all of the business ladies!
Re: Help with stealth soundboards!
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2004, 12:32:03 AM »
Hey guys.
It's the control room monitor I need, so it's two mono 1/4 inchers. If dude's got his headphones plugged in though, it will cancel that in which case I'll have to go with the headphone out, get a splitter for that.

Just so y'all know, if anybody else was interested.

Offline Tall Adam

• The Artist Formerly Known as GQJSP
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2004, 12:37:03 AM »
mmmm mono tapes  ::)

get the message, no ones interested

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2004, 12:45:37 AM »
many people have mentioned stealth soundboards before

By all means, direct us to the threads.  In my time here - as far as I recall - it's come up only a couple times, if that.  Bottom line:  not a good idea.  If you wanna go for it, go for it, but as people have indicated there are multiple reasons why it's a b-a-d idea.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline redseed

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Word to all of the business ladies!
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2004, 01:00:56 AM »
mmmm mono tapes  ::)

get the message, no ones interested

Really? Is that why there were 32 replies in one day?
Stereo feed btw.

Offline Tall Adam

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2004, 01:05:06 AM »
being pissed about something and wanting to know the answer to your question are two totally different things. and the way you worded it, no thats not stereo, its a mono in the left, and a mono in the right, same thing in both channels

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2004, 01:26:06 AM »
Really? Is that why there were 32 replies in one day?

If you take a look at the content of the replies, you'll find most of the replies are not offers of assistance - but rather attempts to dissuade you from your planned activities, and for very good reasons at that.  It's pretty clear to me, anyway, GQJSP's comment "no one's interested" intended to convey the message not many people are interested in helping.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tall Adam

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2004, 01:42:18 AM »
word +t brian

Offline Bubb Rubb

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2004, 01:59:31 AM »
I've never heard of stealth soundboard takes.  Wow, you would have to be really damn stealthy to pull that off.  hmmm, that's some sneaky shit

Offline Tim

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2004, 02:11:46 AM »
It's apparent from the fact that you would post to this board and be so desperatley in need of advice that you haven't got a clue what you're doing.

One option  is to learn the make and model of the boards you're interested in and learn your self, good luck with that ::)

The best advice you've gotten is to cozy up with some local soundguys.

If you try this without permision you're a greedy jack-ass in my book and you deserve the ass-kicking that  you're bound to recieve.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline temis

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2004, 04:06:58 AM »
Well, I have quite limited experience in taping off the soundboard. (With permission, not stealthing :) ) But wouldn't taping sometimes (maybe always, I don't know) require the outputs to be turned on. When I've taped off the sbd the soundman has adjusted the output volume and I got the impression that if he didn't do that there would be no signal at all.

Even IF you actually could hook up your cables to the back of the sbd I'd think it would take quite a lot of more balls to go to the board and mess with the setting of the outputs! If one would start doing this the risk of REALLY messing up the sound would become much greater!

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2004, 11:23:02 AM »
-T

here's in hopes your minidisc shorts out on you the next time you try this weak ass "stealth soundboard" move.

why dont you just ask the soundguy first?
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2004, 12:02:58 PM »
why dont you just ask the soundguy first?

cause it is obvious the bands he tapes don't have an open taping policy.

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2004, 01:25:00 PM »
Ditto. A local venue here in Boston stopped allowing SBDs even for taper-friendly acts after one guy blew out the house system by plugging in without permission. Not cool at all.

if your talking about harpers ferry, permission was granted. we dont know what the fuck happened but we think DC was getting sent some how to the board somehow. probably through a short.

reseed:

cant you see that you are pissing people off here? as others have said, you doing this has the potential to f things up for all us tapers and fans.

I can picture this...
Packed club, band gets on stage, you go and plug in the board and poof, band cannot play, venu has to refund tickets sold, and any taper that wants to tape a show board or mics at said venu in the future is turned away. It just so happens that this venu is in coopperation with other venus in your area and they adopt the same non taper policy to protect thier equipment.

in short dont do it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 02:21:53 PM by abada »
the show is over go home please.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2004, 02:12:14 PM »
-T if I could...... >:(
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2004, 03:16:46 PM »
I have mixed feelings on this myself. I've gotten away with a stealth sbd, was a digitial patch. no issues at all. Band normally allowed, but were recording the performance themselves. (and for those who ask, I havent traded the tape.. or listened to it in over a year! so not getting out there from me!). So, ONE time experience for me, and thats it. I dont think you could fuck up a spdif patch!

I dont even see where you'd be able to get near a board and plugin w/o getting caught by the soundman. Of all the venues I've been to, I dont see how youd get back there w/o being noticed...

IMO: buddy up to the local soundguys, and more often than not they'll hook you up with a patch even if the band doesn't allow board patches... drop them off some cdrs of other shows you've taped. They like that gesture. And its a lot better to have them plug your ass in than doing it yourself!!! Maybe if they show you, where, etc.. but to do it on your own... I'd be very hesitant.

Now as far as relating a stealth board as stealing? I dont know about that. your still just taping the performance. Same lines as an IEM/ALD. Still just taping (altough the quality might be a lot better). I guess I'd call it stealing if you were selling it on ebay or something, but for a private collector to listen to.... kinda hard to figure out where that fine line is..

-T me away I guess!

-Jim

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com