Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D - modification discussion  (Read 76837 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tascam DR-70D - modification discussion
« Reply #105 on: August 31, 2016, 07:38:21 PM »
Disengaging hold is a downward motion, toward off, which is my point about risking shutting down the deck.
The good news is that you have to hold power for quite a while to get it to turn off, so I still don't think there's much risk of this happening accidentally.

I counted about a two-second delay before powering down.

Compare this to approx 3.5 seconds to get the display to light up when powering up!?!

Ain't that weird? I don't blame VWMULE for being a bit worried, but as long as you feel it click off of hold and then you let it go, you'll be fine.

Emphasis on that key point above.  Trust the tactile feedback.  Trust your feelings, Luke.   That's how I do it on the M10, and the hold/power switch has far less travel than the 70D. 
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #106 on: September 01, 2016, 01:08:36 AM »
Never been an issue for me either!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #107 on: September 01, 2016, 08:18:06 AM »
Unless you must have four channels, does the mkiii dr100 undercut the mod? Tascam is promoting the new dr100 mkiii as their flagship at $399, you get their factory warranty, and the display looks like it would be much better for monitoring levels.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #108 on: September 01, 2016, 06:46:31 PM »
Unless you must have four channels, does the mkiii dr100 undercut the mod? Tascam is promoting the new dr100 mkiii as their flagship at $399, you get their factory warranty, and the display looks like it would be much better for monitoring levels.

It very well might.  Tascam is telling us nothing about the preamps in the 100 other than it uses "HDDA" preamps, which is just the same marketing BS used with the 70D and 701D.  In the case of those two units, they did at least mention which opamps were being used, and those in the 701D are much better than those in the 70D, almost as good as the TI chips used in the JWMod.  Not to say the opamp by itself tells you everything about the preamp section.

For the 100 they appear to be pushing the quality of the ADC as a big selling point; no details on the preamps.

It's worth noting that EIN, distortion and S/N of the DR-100mkIII look excellent, almost equal that of the DR-701D so we might assume they use the same preamps.

Long story short, if I definitely only needed 2 channels I'd probably by the 100mkIII.  If you need 4 P48 inputs, I think the 70D with or without the mod is still an excellent value.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #109 on: September 02, 2016, 12:56:18 AM »
A taper friend of mine just bought and already got a 701D a few days ago 8) Said it has a nice solid feel[magnesium alloy chassis vs plastic], and it basically has every feature that we wanted for the 70D in future FW updates lol and a cooler blue screen :P ;D I wish I had more on my taping schedule, because I'd borrow it[he did offer] and give it a test run right next to a stock 70D and split my PFA OUTS :)

And as far as just doing 2 channel, the 100mkiii def looks like a cool & solid deck for the $$! But for around at least $100 less, you can get a 70D with 4 XLR INS, so its really up to your individual needs and wants!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #110 on: September 02, 2016, 10:59:39 AM »
I'd be curious whether the mod and firmware requests for the 70d influenced tascam in the development of the 701d. 

The continuation of the dr100mkiii surprised me.  I would have expected tascam to drop it given the offering of the 701d.  It also surprises me to see them continue to use the menu wheel and to continue the internal lit ion batteries instead of just as batteries and an external 5v battery.  But I suppose they've got to have lit ion batteries to attain a reasonable run time. 

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #111 on: September 03, 2016, 04:28:47 PM »
Voltronic where did you buy 5 of these??  LME49720MA op amp the link in the fact page only allows you to buy 90 at a time. 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline voltronic

« Reply #112 on: September 03, 2016, 08:46:52 PM »
Voltronic where did you buy 5 of these??  LME49720MA op amp the link in the fact page only allows you to buy 90 at a time.

I bought everything from Mouser.  There was no quantity minimum when I purchased.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline malow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Tascam DR-70D W/mods
« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2017, 08:50:16 PM »
Hi guys. I'm new here. i intent to buy this recorder to record church events.

but i have one problem: i was thinking in using as a "in the middle" device, like connecting up to 4 mic's on it, and EACH mic output of the 70D in the mixer, so they can adjust independently each input, and i record "mine" in the middle without messing their audio setup (mics > 70D > mixer line-in for each channel)

but as you know, the 70D does not have independent outputs for each mic, only a line-out (i believe it mixes the 4 channels to 2 channels).

so, as i have a basic knowledge on op-amps and electronics, my question: technically, i can add extra op-amps to get the output from the mic pre-amps and make 4 outputs using the op-amps in "voltage follower" mode? (just to get an "extra" output for each channel)

or i can use the internal line-out op-amps (i assume it uses extra op-amps to mix the outputs) to get 4 outs instead of 2 mixed outs?

another thing: anyone knows the power section of this device? what voltages it uses internally? i may mod to use li-ion instead of AA's

thanks in advance!!!

OBS: I'm Brazilian, sorry for the poor english!  :cheers:

Offline voltronic

« Reply #114 on: May 14, 2017, 07:56:44 AM »
Hi guys. I'm new here. i intent to buy this recorder to record church events.

but i have one problem: i was thinking in using as a "in the middle" device, like connecting up to 4 mic's on it, and EACH mic output of the 70D in the mixer, so they can adjust independently each input, and i record "mine" in the middle without messing their audio setup (mics > 70D > mixer line-in for each channel)

but as you know, the 70D does not have independent outputs for each mic, only a line-out (i believe it mixes the 4 channels to 2 channels).

so, as i have a basic knowledge on op-amps and electronics, my question: technically, i can add extra op-amps to get the output from the mic pre-amps and make 4 outputs using the op-amps in "voltage follower" mode? (just to get an "extra" output for each channel)

or i can use the internal line-out op-amps (i assume it uses extra op-amps to mix the outputs) to get 4 outs instead of 2 mixed outs?

another thing: anyone knows the power section of this device? what voltages it uses internally? i may mod to use li-ion instead of AA's

thanks in advance!!!

OBS: I'm Brazilian, sorry for the poor english!  :cheers:

So, you want to be able to record 4 channels, but then also have 4 independent line outputs?  I have no idea if the modification you're proposing is possible or not.  But either way, it seems that what you want to do would be so much easier with a good analog mixer, where you can easily route any channel to any subgroup or aux output.

I don't understand why you'd want to do something like this with the 70D.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline malow

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Tascam DR-70D W/mods
« Reply #115 on: May 14, 2017, 08:31:19 AM »
So, you want to be able to record 4 channels, but then also have 4 independent line outputs?  I have no idea if the modification you're proposing is possible or not.  But either way, it seems that what you want to do would be so much easier with a good analog mixer, where you can easily route any channel to any subgroup or aux output.

cause i want separated audio tracks for easy editing and flexibility. and because events already have a mixer. also i tested a few mixers, and i found them very noisy.

also, one device that do all is better and cheaper than two ;)

i was about to get a behringer umc404hd (usb audio interface, 4 input that have 4 outputs, one for each mic) for this purpose. but a device like the 70D now seems much more complete, just missing this feature ;)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 09:47:45 AM by malow »

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #116 on: May 14, 2017, 10:16:45 AM »

cause i want separated audio tracks for easy editing and flexibility. and because events already have a mixer. also i tested a few mixers, and i found them very noisy.

also, one device that do all is better and cheaper than two ;)

i was about to get a behringer umc404hd (usb audio interface, 4 input that have 4 outputs, one for each mic) for this purpose. but a device like the 70D now seems much more complete, just missing this feature ;)

Why not just get a used Tascam DR680? It has dedicated outputs and there might be quite a few on the market since the intro of the SD MixPre-6.

"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline malow

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Tascam DR-70D W/mods
« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2017, 10:49:48 AM »
Why not just get a used Tascam DR680? It has dedicated outputs and there might be quite a few on the market since the intro of the SD MixPre-6.

looks like would be nice for what i want. but used cost more than twice the 70D...  :(

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #118 on: May 14, 2017, 11:41:20 AM »

looks like would be nice for what i want. but used cost more than twice the 70D...  :(

Here you go:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=181808.msg0#new

Terrific deal! (No affiliation.)
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline malow

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Tascam DR-70D W/mods
« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2017, 12:30:09 PM »
Here you go:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=181808.msg0#new

Terrific deal! (No affiliation.)

it would be nice... if i were an american...  :shrug:

in brazil US$ to BR$ is 3.5x the value, plus 60% to 100% import taxes (over the price with shipping), so in the end will cost a kidney. i can only buy locally.  :-[

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com