Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ethernet Run between 2 buildings?  (Read 19989 times)

Offline Shadow_7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Ethernet Run between 2 buildings?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 09:53:21 AM »
Well I live out in the country, and slicing the yard, which we've done didn't turn out well.  Phones lines (the grounded ones) ran through the middle of the yard.  Cable and other things if you have those do that to.  If you dig, you run the risk of cutting those completely and maybe not even noticing that you did until those "why isn't this working" moments.  And since this plot of land was someone elses land before developed, their phone lines went through the yard too.  And that was just bringing a water line from the water main which was only 10' away from where it needed to go.  Traversing 60' and who knows what you'll dig up in the process.  Do it if you must, but as someone who's had that done, there's a ton of gotcha's in that choice.

IMO it sounds like one of your wireless devices is showing it's age.  Replacement is what $40 these days.  Versus cable plus digging plus gotcha's plus .....  It's a much sure-er bet (long term) to dig after all is said and done.  But man, the road to get there is not as simple as is sounds.  Having lived in high construction areas where nobody, even the city knew what was buried where.  With cable outages, water main breaks, and other issues that would never have been, had a hole not been dug.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 01:01:05 PM »
I plan on calling "call before you dig" to locate any underground things - all other infrastructure is aerial from the utility alley behind the house where the garage is.
the water and sewer main run at the front of the house.

The older router is my wife's combo Modem/Wifi (charter provided) _ do also plan on getting a new cable modem at some point
my Airport Extreme is a current model  purchase last fall.

I think having a solid Ethernet cable to the garage will give the cleanest signal with the least interference.
I obviously could be very wrong.

--ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 05:42:28 PM »
Under 3' of dirt (code for most regions I've been in).  It should be fairly clean.  WiFi has it's quirks with interference.  But most times it's signal strength over distance.  With it failing when the signal is too weak (windows / wireless zero).  I converted my mom to linux because of that ONE issue.  Unfortunately since she doesn't have issues anymore, I no longer get a new computer every year now (her old one).

AFAIK, the call before you dig sign is for the utility companies benefit, not yours.  They might know what is buried there, but probably don't know where.  And if your property was developed 20+ years ago, they might not know anything more than what's 6' from the road.  But if there is a sign there, it's probably something nasty like power or gas pipeline.  All the more reason not to dig.

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 02:25:19 AM »
We are an all Mac household thought my daughter (when visiting) runs ubuntu
the call before you dig locators have located stuff in the back yard before when we need to put more sprinkler water lines in
- they located gas and water
I'm not digging down 3'  likely about 1foot or so or enough to make it under the sidewalks, and I will likely parellel them as much as I can- so I have a future point of reference.

I would like to run a 5ghz network in the garage  having my airport out here I will be able to attain much better speeds, and will soon to follow get the other new network set up in the house, then a new docsis 2.0 or 3.0 cable modem
any recommendations for a Mac's?

--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak

Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 05:34:33 PM »
Ian,

You might want to check your local equipment/tool rental house for a trench digger or ditch witch etc, which could make the job easier for you.

http://www.easydigging.com/trenching_guide.html

Here is a tool called "Sidewalk Sleever" for going under sidewalks...

http://www.sidewalksleever.com/
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 10:29:58 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 02:00:53 AM »
Sweet! DigiGal!
both are useful links

A buddy of mine said That I could likely use a pressure washer (we have 2)  or also PVC pipe with a hose thread attached on one end and blast water through it while pushing and pulling the pipe so it "tunnels" under the sidewalk.

I may need to get a trenching shovel.

--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 04:43:31 AM »
still awaiting my CAT6 cable and the 2 APC surge protectors.
I did get the trench  dug for the most part = under 3 sidewalks, and 1 curb. The trench still needs some work an dfine tuning.
but heck the  cat6 and surge protectors won't be here until Tuesday.
I'll try it all out before I get some 3/4" electrical PVC conduit and bury it all next week end.
having a solution- the original idea close at hand is wonderful.
it only too about 4 hours thus far to trench most of the way and under 3 sidewalks and one curb. not bad! Just needs some deepening !  ;)

--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 07:59:09 AM »
The phone lines that got cut in my yard were probably 18" down.  The main thing is the lightning hazard of running any cable outside.  The deeper the safer from strikes.  But too deep and you have flooding and corrosion concerns.  Digging isn't too bad if you've got a rototiller and the soil isn't rock.  Or beach sand that continually fills in the holes.  Just make sure that it's deep enough that you're not going to nick it when you put in a sprinkler system or rototill a garden.  Or other issues with heavy vehicles not using the concrete path.

Wireless might be slower and less reliable, but it's far less construction to get it doing what it does.  Plus that whole country thing for my location where who knows what lives under the dwelling.  Creating critter habitat and access points should generally be avoided.  It just takes a small hole and you've got field mice running across the curtain rods.  Followed by the snake in the bathroom who's looking for the mice.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 09:37:51 AM »
I once hired a guy to trench for a cable in winter.  The job was 18"+ deep and over 45' long.  The soil was heavy clay, all the way down!  And the ground was frozen, with about 6" of snow.  He worked at an equipment rental place and quoted me the $55/hour, the rental rate for the backhoe.  He drove it over via surface streets early on a saturday - it was a couple miles away.

Now as much as we all might want to play with a backhoe, he did the digging.  He was a surgeon with that thing!  It had tungsten tipped frost teeth, and the arm telecoped out.   He was in and out in under 30 miuntes and he only charged me the half hour.  I tried to pay him the full hour and he wouldn't take it.  I think it only cost me $35.  Best $35 I ever spent.....

Can you imagine how much work is in a 45' x 18" trench in clay, in even the best weather?

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2011, 01:52:33 PM »
we had some pictures of when 2 other sprinkler irrigation lines were put in a few years back, all in relation to the sidewalks and concrete slabs.
I did also fine the 2 grey PVC electrical conduit pipes that run the power out to the garage, which must have been put in just before the sidwalks and garden "curbing" since they kind of just run in a mostly straight and right angle path going under it all. All the electric and irrigation pipes are only a few inches- like 6" or so from the surface though one is about 1 foot down.

I used a pressure washer to tunnel under the sidewalks and to help avoid tree root damage, for the most part I did not hit any large roots to speak of.

:)

--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 02:00:15 AM »
so I ran CAT 6 direct to the garage
 with 2 APC (Ethernet) Surge Protectors
and I got this speed test result!

on the 5ghz network
way better now I have the net work in the garage
now to run the CAT 6 trough 2/4" grey PVC electrical conduit!
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 12:10:03 PM »
Have fun with the big dig, post some pics of the project...

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 12:12:55 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 09:19:46 PM »
I know I am late to this post, but a chain saw makes a great trencher.  It dulls the hell out of the chain, but chains are easy to replace or sharpen.

Occasionally....music mics record

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 09:57:03 PM »
I know I am late to this post, but a chain saw makes a great trencher.  It dulls the hell out of the chain, but chains are easy to replace or sharpen.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2011, 12:21:04 PM »
So Ian, have you dug the trench?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com