Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Trying to edit my first recording.  (Read 1889 times)

Offline Jarguitar86

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Trying to edit my first recording.
« on: August 14, 2013, 11:09:39 AM »
I taped my first show over the weekend.  I don't quite have the $ for mics, preamp & the like, so I just used the built in stereo mics on my Roland R-05. Having never recorded digitally, I feel like my recording turned out really good! It's a little bassy, so I used the High Pass Filter @6db in Audacity. That cleaned the heaviness out of the bass, but it almost sounds like the recording is a little distorted on some of the bass drum hits and certain bass notes & that's not present in the original recording. It doesn't look like anything is peaking in the file, but it sure sounds like it. Does anyone have any advice for a rookie? I have no clue what to adjust from here. I'm really new to this and don't know a lot about the technical side. I also have very little clue how to do editing in Audacity. I just tried the High Pass Filter b/c it seemed recommended by other tapers with the same problem & it worked well, but I can tell this recording can be made light years better with the right knowledge.  I have the original saved files and then the ones I'm trying to edit, so there's nothing lost with trying to experiment.   

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Trying to edit my first recording.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 11:15:42 AM »
An alternative to the HPF is just a level notch EQ filter from about 300hz down. It should have a soft bow at the top end near 300hz as it rejoins level but knock off a few db that way. Kick drums have 2 sounds; a primary oomph at around 100hz or so and then a click that is around 500-700hz (maybe slightly higher depending on the mix). So without sample demonstrating the problem I can't offer much other advice.

Just keep in mind, any EQ adjustments are going to affect your entire mix and not just a particular instrument.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Trying to edit my first recording.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 04:45:16 PM »
I don't know if Audacity has an FFT filter but I prefer that to EQ to remove or reduce elements.  It has less effect on the tone and is better at getting what needs to go. 

The filter you did use, am I right in interpreting that @6dB as implying it added 6 dB of gain to the signal.  That may be why some things are now clipping.  If recorded close to 0 dB even when removing some frequencies it is unlikely the remainder can be boosted 6 dB without clipping parts of what is left. 

You need to be very careful not to drive anything into clipping when editing. 

I would do your adjustments flat then add an appropriate amount of gain to the entirety when done. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com