Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: To keep at 96/24 or not (internal mics question)  (Read 1869 times)

Offline gambra

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Noise aficionado.
To keep at 96/24 or not (internal mics question)
« on: November 12, 2013, 12:43:55 AM »
I have an Edirol R-09 recorder set to record at 96khz/24bit but I only use the internal mics to tape, no externals. I usually just convert the recordings down to standard 44/16 in post when I'm making files for distribution. However I just taped a band that I know some people might like in the 96/24 format but my question is, is it worthwhile? The file sizes are huge given the length of the show and I don't know if its worth it for just internal mics. I usually don't even keep the masters in 96/24 for other shows as I can't listen to them properly myself.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 12:45:32 AM by gambra »
Rig: Edirol R-09

Marshall7

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: To keep at 96/24 or not (internal mics question)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 01:36:31 AM »
I stopped doing 24/96 and now do 24/48 exclusively.  But with internals...seems like overkill.

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 09:51:32 AM »
Only you can decide what sampling rate to use based on your own ABX tests. I do not have golden ears and there are many double-blind tests which indicate that I'm far from alone. Here's an article summarizing one of those tests:

http://mixonline.com/recording/mixing/audio_emperors_new_sampling/

and here's an article with lots of good background info on the topic of bit rate and sampling rate so you can make an informed decision:

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I record at 24/44.1 and distribute at 16/44.1 because it sounds great and uses the least disk space.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 01:06:28 PM »
Unless you've the activated the capability via the hidden menu, the R-09 is not capable of higher than 48kHz sampling rates. Even if you have done that, 96kHz is not a supported feature of that machine.  The follow up R-09HR offered up to 96kHz as a standard feature.  Whether the analog circuitry of the machine prior to the analog-to-digital converter and ADC implementation itself makes rates higher than 48kHz and sample sizes greater than 16bits worthwhile has been long open to debate.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.143 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com