Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AA Batteries? What's the best rechargeables?  (Read 24106 times)

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Re: AA Batteries? What's the best rechargeables?
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2019, 09:45:26 AM »
Charger....

any comments on the Ikea charger?  Looks 'mid-grade' in price.  Very long charge time, assume better for batteries.  12 hrs for 2450mAh. 

Looked at the Powerex, thanks for mentioning Gutbucket.  I see a couple of price tiers, including one with batteries included.  Any thought on Powerex battery value?  I see 2600 and 2700 mAh types. 

with batteries

no batteries, more $, similar charging times

Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2019, 02:25:04 PM »
Anyone knows if the Powerex (or some similar charger) is available on the European market? Can't find it.  :-[
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline mjwin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2019, 02:54:13 PM »
Anyone knows if the Powerex (or some similar charger) is available on the European market? Can't find it.  :-[
I got mine from www.mahaenergy.co.uk which is operated by Nevada Radio in the UK. They are the official dealers for MAHA/Powerex & are a long established business also selling amateur radio gear etc.  I'd recommend them.
The MHC9000 is all the charger you'll ever need. It's  a bit bulky for a 4AA charger, but will analyze/test each cell so that you know they're good.  MAHA also do a less complex 8AA version.

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2019, 03:07:47 PM »
I got mine from www.mahaenergy.co.uk which is operated by Nevada Radio in the UK. They are the official dealers for MAHA/Powerex & are a long established business also selling amateur radio gear etc.  I'd recommend them.
The MHC9000 is all the charger you'll ever need. It's  a bit bulky for a 4AA charger, but will analyze/test each cell so that you know they're good.  MAHA also do a less complex 8AA version.

Thank you!  :cheers:
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2019, 03:59:16 AM »
Order from the UK while you still can!  :banging head:

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2019, 05:05:22 PM »
Charger....

any comments on the Ikea charger?  Looks 'mid-grade' in price.  Very long charge time, assume better for batteries.  12 hrs for 2450mAh. 

Looked at the Powerex, thanks for mentioning Gutbucket.  I see a couple of price tiers, including one with batteries included.  Any thought on Powerex battery value?  I see 2600 and 2700 mAh types. 

with batteries

no batteries, more $, similar charging times

I've been using the Powerex low self discharge (black) AA's and 9.6V's and have no problems with them.  Last I checked, a few years back when I last replaced them, they were on-par with Eneloop.  We use Eneloop at work for cameras and when I've used those for recording their performance seemed about equal.

When I bought the charger maybe 8 years ago or so, the Maha MHC900 and the Lacrosse Technologies charger were the fully "smart" chargers that set the bar.  Either of which I figured was a good investment to extend useful life of the batteries as much as possible and to monitor them to confirm when it's time to retire them prior to failure.

I've purchased my batteries and chargers from Thomasdistributing.com and can recommend them for good service.  Upon my contacting them about a decade ago concerning an earlier model non-low-self-discharge 9.6V which had swelled up a number of months into use, they immediately volunteered to replace it without a return.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2019, 05:09:25 PM »
BTW, I highly recommend the low-self-discharge (LSD) version of any NiMH AA, AAA, or 9V over the standard version of the same.  The minor reduction in capacity in comparison to non-LSD types is well worth the increased charge retention, reliability, and longevity.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline EmRR

• Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2019, 05:48:29 PM »
BTW, I highly recommend the low-self-discharge (LSD) version of any NiMH AA, AAA, or 9V over the standard version of the same.  The minor reduction in capacity in comparison to non-LSD types is well worth the increased charge retention, reliability, and longevity.

Good to know, thanks.  More reading to do....
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2019, 03:04:31 PM »
Going to start getting into rechargeables. Just a question for people... Where can you recycle AA/AAA batteries? I have a bunch that I want to recycle properly.
http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2019, 03:07:39 PM »
Going to start getting into rechargeables. Just a question for people... Where can you recycle AA/AAA batteries? I have a bunch that I want to recycle properly.

https://livethrive.org/charm/items-accepted/

You're in ATL right?
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline TSNéa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2019, 06:54:32 PM »
Maybe/probably late...
https://www.amazon.fr/s?k=Powerex+AA&__mk_fr_FR=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&ref=nb_sb_noss [edited this address]
Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 06:59:51 PM by TSNéa »

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2019, 02:51:32 PM »

https://livethrive.org/charm/items-accepted/

You're in ATL right?

Legend! Thank you! I have a bucket full of them.
http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com