Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: (Newb) Recording device that won't break the bank  (Read 12125 times)

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Re: (Newb) Recording device that won't break the bank
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 06:05:06 AM »
E@rl I emailed you for some reason I can't PM people? 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 > Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 07:44:38 AM »
Honestly, if you have access to an MD or DAT and know how to get the recordings onto a computer, those options (especially a DAT) are just fine. A reliable DAT machine like an old workhouse D8 or D100 is certainly a fine unit for recording, though a bit more of a pain to transfer to computer obviously than something that records to an SD card.  The MD being lossy makes it less desirable, but if it meant that I could afford some decent mics like SP-CMC-8 or Church CA14s, I'd use that or a DAT in a heartbeat.
Just my $.02. 

I like MD more than most people here (even pre Hi-MD) but a definite no to the DAT. I used a D100 for years and it made great recordings when it was working fine, but it was NOT reliable. Every 2 years or so I started getting too many dropouts and had to spend $200+ at ProDigital to correct the problem. Paul said it is full of plastic parts that can break even when you are not using the machine. Plus if you use it for say 1000 hours, I think, the heads will go. The repair job on that costs way more than the recorder is now worth. This is all in addition to the hassle of uploading your recordings to the computer, which for many people would be reason alone to stay away from DAT.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 09:05:59 AM »
Honestly, if you have access to an MD or DAT and know how to get the recordings onto a computer, those options (especially a DAT) are just fine. A reliable DAT machine like an old workhouse D8 or D100 is certainly a fine unit for recording, though a bit more of a pain to transfer to computer obviously than something that records to an SD card.  The MD being lossy makes it less desirable, but if it meant that I could afford some decent mics like SP-CMC-8 or Church CA14s, I'd use that or a DAT in a heartbeat.
Just my $.02. 

I like MD more than most people here (even pre Hi-MD) but a definite no to the DAT. I used a D100 for years and it made great recordings when it was working fine, but it was NOT reliable. Every 2 years or so I started getting too many dropouts and had to spend $200+ at ProDigital to correct the problem. Paul said it is full of plastic parts that can break even when you are not using the machine. Plus if you use it for say 1000 hours, I think, the heads will go. The repair job on that costs way more than the recorder is now worth. This is all in addition to the hassle of uploading your recordings to the computer, which for many people would be reason alone to stay away from DAT.

Agree, DAT is a pain in the ass. The only point of my post was, if you had access to a FREE or VERY CHEAP DAT or MD, given the OP's desire to do a few SBD patches here and there, maybe tape shows later, the thing would do the job.  Clearly a good solid state recorder like the R-09 is superior, but if price is a major issue, again, I'm just pointing out that an old unit like that will do the job, especially if you don't have to pay for it.   

FWIW, I recorded hundreds of shows with my D8 and used pretty unremarkable home decks... never had any maintenance issue other than just doing regular cleanings with the head cleaner.  No doubt I was one of the lucky ones!
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 11:59:39 AM »
I have 2 friends locally that use the MTII
one uses a Mini ME, and the other gets DIGITAL patches from me

Does the guy who patches out have to use an external battery? 

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 05:16:34 PM »
I am leaning towards the MT II or the edirol r09!  Price is a concern, but I cant spend some $ I just don't want to drop $400-$500 on a recorder.  I just want a reliable device I can patch with until I can put together my own rig!  Also would I need and external battery with the MT II if I was patched into another tapers gear?  Man you guys have been tons of help!!!

Online darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 06:40:02 PM »
I have 2 friends locally that use the MTII
one uses a Mini ME, and the other gets DIGITAL patches from me
Does the guy who patches out have to use an external battery? 

they both use a USB type of battery
I don't know if they HAVE to
I think they do it for peace of mind knowing they can get the entire show

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2009, 07:11:39 PM »
Thanks Darby!!! How about the MTI I found a new one for under $200.  Is this a problematic device, I have read some not so great posts.   I think I am going to most likely buy an MTII.  I think for the money it will provide what I need.  I have read some bad reviews on the MTII, but I think most recorder in this price range have some short comings.  Everyone has been really helpful and I thank all the folks on TS that have shared their knowledge.

Online darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2009, 08:26:19 PM »
new MTIIs can be had for $250

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2009, 06:02:19 AM »
Thanks Darby, I purchased a MTII for $234 on ebay! 

Offline taperwheeler

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2009, 07:37:52 AM »
Thanks Darby, I purchased a MTII for $234 on ebay! 

Welcome to taping!  Any questions along the way, feel free to buzz.  I've been running my mt2 for awhile now.

First things first, be sure to firmware update as soon as you get it out the box.  Another piece of useful info, I've recently been told to reformat the card every so often.  Think it helps prevent read/write errors.

Enjoy!
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2009, 03:11:32 PM »
Thanks tapewheeler, could you suggest some SD cards that are a reliable brand!  Also what cables would I need to get a dig. or analog patch into another tapers gear or a sound board?

Offline taperwheeler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2009, 07:43:01 PM »
Thanks tapewheeler, could you suggest some SD cards that are a reliable brand!  Also what cables would I need to get a dig. or analog patch into another tapers gear or a sound board?

not sd...the mt2 takes compact flash.  check out newegg.com, they usually have great deals on cards.  i suggest at least an 8gb card.  i use a 16...will hold a ton of music.  that way i don't worry about taking cards in and out risking damage.  my 16gb card is an a-data.  from what i've heard and read, the mt2 seems to work with most cf cards.

you'll need a spdif>spdif cable to get feeds from digi spdif sources.  soundboards have a variety of outputs so eventually you'll need a variety of cables.  most boards have xlr connects.  for sbd feeds, you'll be mostly receiving an analog source.  for that you will be running into the 1/4" line-in's of the recorder.  as i'm sure you've read, running in via the 1/4" input you need a specially wired cable (if you will be using any internal preamp gain).  i picked one up from the sound professionals.  they can wire you either a female 1/8" to dual 1/4" male or 1/8" male to 1/4" male cable.  from there you can pick up the additional adapters and interconnecting cables that will have you setup for receiving any kind of signal.  This link is useful to show the diff interconnects: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,14253.0.html

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2009, 12:26:26 AM »
Format your CF Card after you transfer to your comp. I reformat my 32GB CF Card before EVERY SHOW. After every show, I save a copy on my 722's 40GB INHDD, and then reformat my CF Card again. Unless you want weird errors or dropouts, just format the card before every recording ;) What I'm saying is, DO NOT DELETE and then record. Format, write until card is full, transfer to comp, reformat card to be fresh again, DONE! ;)

Got it? Ive heard MANY weird things happening to tapers that resulted in a loss of a recording, or dropouts, that can be traced back to a CF Card that wasnt formated in a while!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline taperwheeler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2009, 12:50:45 PM »
Format your CF Card after you transfer to your comp. I reformat my 32GB CF Card before EVERY SHOW. After every show, I save a copy on my 722's 40GB INHDD, and then reformat my CF Card again. Unless you want weird errors or dropouts, just format the card before every recording ;) What I'm saying is, DO NOT DELETE and then record. Format, write until card is full, transfer to comp, reformat card to be fresh again, DONE! ;)

Got it? Ive heard MANY weird things happening to tapers that resulted in a loss of a recording, or dropouts, that can be traced back to a CF Card that wasnt formated in a while!

The one and only prob I've had with my mt2 occurred for this very reason.  Had used it a lot and never reformatted.  Then had a read error trying to dump a show to the computer.  Luckily I was able to recover the data, but now I reformat after every outing.

It's funny but I've yet to see any digital recorder company make this reccomendation.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2009, 04:04:05 PM »
Thanks for the advice!  muck appreciated! 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com