Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Church Audio Preamp - I'm the guinea pig!  (Read 21437 times)

Offline emcdos

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: New Church Audio Preamp - I'm the guinea pig!
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2012, 02:15:38 PM »

so, it seems that with this new design, right angle cables would be even much more interesting... or am I wrong?...

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2012, 02:32:07 PM »
You dont want to use R/A Connectors with any of my preamps they are  unnecessary. The 9000 series of preamps are all designed to sit in a pocket so that all controls and inputs / outputs are on the top where they are less likely to be disturbed. The ugly series are now designed so that the preamp will sit in a pocket and all inputs / outputs will be pointed towards the opening of a pocket. That way the knob act as protection for the inputs. And its more ergonomic. If you have controls sticking out all over the place its silly. With a right angle connector your connector actually sticks out to the side where side forces can cause damage to the input jack. 3.5 MM Input jacks are fine with force that straight but not fine with side to side forces. The R.A jacks will always move around and are more likely to become unplugged. This is not an issue when plugging right into a recorder that has a side input jack. But not fine for my preamp that has jacks mounted on the top not sides. You can purchase a 3.5 mm straight to R/A connector patch cord for your Church Audio preamp for $24.00. I hope that makes sense.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline emcdos

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2012, 06:53:58 PM »

I see Chris,... I misinterpreted the picture. Thanks for the clarification....
I canĀ“t wait for my Ugly II... ;)

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2012, 10:16:37 PM »
Nice Job Chris on the redesign of the Ugly II Preamp with level adjustment, input, output and led on the one side.  That's a nice touch and makes this something very useful to many of us.  It will also prefer to sit in a camera case/pouch with a recorder that way.  Also love the fact that the noise floor is equal to the 9200 (and better than the 9100).   

Thanks for continuing to put out fine products.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2012, 11:05:36 PM »
Just got my newly acquired ca14cards and 9100 from Spain today. Running 9v battery tests to see how long a 9v will run the 9100. Anyone already know? Sorry for the high jack,
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

adrianf74

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2012, 11:11:28 PM »
Just got my newly acquired ca14cards and 9100 from Spain today. Running 9v battery tests to see how long a 9v will run the 9100. Anyone already know? Sorry for the high jack,
And so you should be. :P

Umm... I think you were talking about this exact thing not too long ago:   :facepalm:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=152802.msg1934602#msg1934602

I've used Energizer Industrial 9V's for over 40 hours and still had about 65-70% charge (I wouldn't push anything for our uses past that) so I believe it's around 35-40 hours.  The Ugly Battery Box is around 90 hours (!!!) and I'm not sure about the Ugly Preamp I/II -- maybe Chris can post something on that.

Offline stepeanut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2012, 02:19:34 PM »
Nice Job Chris on the redesign of the Ugly II Preamp with level adjustment, input, output and led on the one side.  That's a nice touch and makes this something very useful to many of us.  It will also prefer to sit in a camera case/pouch with a recorder that way.

I've had the redesigned Ugly II for a few weeks now, and used it several times.  The new layout works well, but I find the overall shape of the preamp to be almost cubic, which means it tends to stick out of one's trouser pocket quite prominently, and into one's leg at the same time.  I'll get used to it.

Performance-wise, I'm pleased with the product.
Stepeanut: "Unless something else turns up, I'd say you've made the pull of the tour."

Yousef: "That's kind of you to say, but it does feel like winning first prize in a turd-photographing contest."

adrianf74

« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2012, 02:40:31 PM »
I've had the redesigned Ugly II for a few weeks now, and used it several times.  The new layout works well, but I find the overall shape of the preamp to be almost cubic, which means it tends to stick out of one's trouser pocket quite prominently, and into one's leg at the same time.  I'll get used to it.

Try a small camera pouch/case for the recorder and battery box.  Easier than putting it in your pocket and dealing with it that way.  :)

Offline stepeanut

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2012, 02:42:55 PM »
I think a camera case might attract more attention at the clubs I stealth in than the large bulge in my trousers.  People around here are used to that.
Stepeanut: "Unless something else turns up, I'd say you've made the pull of the tour."

Yousef: "That's kind of you to say, but it does feel like winning first prize in a turd-photographing contest."

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2012, 03:29:46 PM »

Have you used the older-style Ugly?  Is the new one thicker overall or pretty much the same in terms of 'trouser bulge?

Perhaps an anatomically correct casing is the answer.  ;)
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2012, 03:35:48 PM »
Gives a whole new meaning to the "Ugly"!
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2012, 03:50:23 PM »
And so you should be. :P

Umm... I think you were talking about this exact thing not too long ago:   :facepalm:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=152802.msg1934602#msg1934602

I've used Energizer Industrial 9V's for over 40 hours and still had about 65-70% charge (I wouldn't push anything for our uses past that) so I believe it's around 35-40 hours.  The Ugly Battery Box is around 90 hours (!!!) and I'm not sure about the Ugly Preamp I/II -- maybe Chris can post something on that.

Thanks Adrian! I am using Energizer Max 9v's ;) Running tests now!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2012, 03:50:44 PM »
Beauty is in the pants of the beholder.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline stepeanut

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2012, 04:04:16 PM »

Have you used the older-style Ugly?  Is the new one thicker overall or pretty much the same in terms of 'trouser bulge?

Perhaps an anatomically correct casing is the answer.  ;)

No, this is my first time bumping Uglies.

adrianf74

« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2012, 04:05:58 PM »
Image of the new Ugly looks much like the old one but it is a little awkward to "pocket."  That's why I use the camera pouch: problem solved.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com