Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How would you power the Original Art Tube MP?  (Read 6982 times)

Offline garrettrobertson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
How would you power the Original Art Tube MP?
« on: April 11, 2011, 02:13:43 PM »
Not trying to be stealthy, just need something to last a few days.

http://artproaudio.com/products.asp?id=1&cat=1&type=79

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: How would you power the Original Art Tube MP?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 06:03:43 PM »
I recommend an AC outlet and adapter!  ;D

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 09:23:50 AM »
I'd use a 12-14V battery like the ones we use for a 722 and a small power inverter to drive the wall wart.  That preamp doesn't draw much power but the inverter is going to be inefficient so you should check the current requirement of the inverter under load against the max current the battery wants to source to ensure that you don't hose the battery. 

Something like this http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-813-0281-07-Pocket-Power-Inverter/dp/B000U0M7OW/ref=sr_1_13 would easily fit into your taping bag with a couple of LIon batteries.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline garrettrobertson

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 10:34:39 AM »
I'd use a 12-14V battery like the ones we use for a 722 and a small power inverter to drive the wall wart.  That preamp doesn't draw much power but the inverter is going to be inefficient so you should check the current requirement of the inverter under load against the max current the battery wants to source to ensure that you don't hose the battery. 

Something like this http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-813-0281-07-Pocket-Power-Inverter/dp/B000U0M7OW/ref=sr_1_13 would easily fit into your taping bag with a couple of LIon batteries.

Thank you lil kim, but i'm looking more for something to use to power it while recording.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 10:41:50 AM »
I think he meant you chop off the cigarette adapter and wire it to your batteries

Offline garrettrobertson

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 11:31:35 AM »
I think he meant you chop off the cigarette adapter and wire it to your batteries

hahaha fuck yeah, thanks

Offline garrettrobertson

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 11:34:51 AM »

I'd have to use a regulator for that though would I?

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 03:13:40 PM »
I've seen a taper in Raleigh use something similar to this:  http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02871988000P?blockNo=1&blockType=L1&prdNo=1&i_cntr=1302635535385

Its got 12vDC as well as 120vAC... 

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 03:21:09 PM »
You'll need to power TWO of those if you plan on running in stereo as that is a mono pre...

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 05:16:17 PM »
I'd have to use a regulator for that though would I?

No.  The inverter accepts 14V-10V input and produces 120VAC.  Your preamp power supply plug into the inverter to produce the 9VAC the preamp wants.

You can cut the wire between the cigarette plug and the inverter and insert a molex or 4-pin XLR connector so that you can put it back together for road trips and then make a little harness for connecting the inverter to your portable batteries.  My preference would be the 4 pin XLR wired to the usual standard: pin 4 for hot (+12v) and pin 1 for ground.

Of course another option is a female cigarette adapter to wire to your batteries like this http://www.powerwerx.com/adapter-extension-cables/cigarette-lighter-socket-fused-powerpole.html.  The link is just for example.  I know you can get one for a lot less than that.

Offline garrettrobertson

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 06:48:06 PM »
I've seen a taper in Raleigh use something similar to this:  http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02871988000P?blockNo=1&blockType=L1&prdNo=1&i_cntr=1302635535385

Its got 12vDC as well as 120vAC... 

Terry

Thanks for the advice everyone, founds what I'm looking for.  ^-^

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 07:28:50 PM »
The output of most inverters is DIRTY.   Most a/c devices depend on the oh-so-clean power that comes from the electric company.  Pure sine wave inverters are expensive.

Offline garrettrobertson

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 07:51:17 PM »
The output of most inverters is DIRTY.   Most a/c devices depend on the oh-so-clean power that comes from the electric company.  Pure sine wave inverters are expensive.

Whats all this add up to? fairly new to the terminology

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 04:37:59 PM »

I wouldn't say that most devices require clean AC.  Most of the problem is for devices like A/V gear where a cheap power supply will leak noise into the signal intended for display/recording.  It's certainly no problem for battery charging or running a PC or similar load. 

I don't have access to a scope right now but maybe someone on here could take a look.  That would be an interesting wave capture to see.

Offline Swanny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 10:51:44 AM »
I actually ran one of these for some phish shows in 98. I used a small battery and inverter. Worked good, no noise from the inverter. Don't push the tube too hard or it will distort.
Schoeps MK5/8 > KC5 > CMC6> Oade M148/Aerco MP-2 > Mytek 24192 > Tascam dr-100 mkiii

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.319 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com