Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Reviving a dead Eco-Charge?  (Read 1815 times)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Reviving a dead Eco-Charge?
« on: January 21, 2008, 11:44:41 AM »
OK, so I try to tape a show for the first time in over a year with my Eco-Charge 6v and I find out that the battery is totally dead.  I charged it for a few hours before trying to use it and the red light on the charger went out, indicating that the battery was ready.  Is there any way to "revive" this Eco-Charge battery, or is it totally dead and I should throw it away?  I really don't think this is a charger issue; probably more of a function of the battery not being charged in over a year.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline hammerhorror

• Trade Count: (54)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Hey good lookin'
Re: Reviving a dead Eco-Charge?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 12:14:03 PM »
If I were you, I would ditch the SLA and switch to a lithium-ion battery solution. There really is no need to still be carrying around a heavy eco-charge battery. With all of the new lithium solutions out there, it wouldn't be worth the headache to me to try and revive a dying Eco-Charge.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & MK41, AKG CK63 (Naiant Actives)

Preamps: Naiant KCY Littlebox

Recorders: Sound Devices 664, Sony PCM-M10

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: Reviving a dead Eco-Charge?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 11:39:01 PM »
Lithium battery replacement is reasonable if having at least the storage capacity watts of older pack.  This maintains runtime expectations using L/A battery.

On the other hand, if battery still takes some charge after sitting around for a year, there's chance one of those advanced 'battery reconditioning' chargers using special pulse technology can restore an abused L/A. 

However, unless already having one of these healing chargers, cost to get one is maybe same to double a lithium battery replacement.  And renewal is not always successful if battery refuses to charge at all.

Only found one and tried it out mostly on newer L/A batteries stored a bit too long, and seems to mostly work as advertised.

The redipulse 6/12 model is the one I've had for a few years, and now I see a new model at higher cost.

http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-restoration/6-volt/
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com