Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz PMD-706 Six Channel Recorder?  (Read 108664 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: Marantz PMD-706 Six Channel Recorder?
« Reply #225 on: February 18, 2018, 11:04:17 PM »
So I’m getting around 4 1/2 hours on Eneloop Pro. I checked at 5 hours and it was shutdown. Been using the same 32 GB card for all these tests and there is 15 Gigs of something on the card. Don’t know what. Nothing there to open. One thing I don’t like is the more shit on the card the longer it takes to get the deck past the home screen or whatever it’s called. It must be going thru a card check or something. After a fresh format it fires up in seconds. With 15 Gigs on a 32 gig card it took about 4 minutes to open up. They definitely need a firmware update.

Interesting. Mine has never taken more than a few seconds to boot up no matter how much info is on the card. I use 16 GB Sandisk Ultra Plus class 10 and I have booted it up in seconds with 10 GB on the card.

Still waiting on them to get back on a firmware update about the power loss files lost deal. Shoot them an email at Marantz Professional support letting them know about the boot up lag and see if there is something they can do about it.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #226 on: February 19, 2018, 07:38:33 AM »
So I’m getting around 4 1/2 hours on Eneloop Pro. I checked at 5 hours and it was shutdown. Been using the same 32 GB card for all these tests and there is 15 Gigs of something on the card. Don’t know what. Nothing there to open. One thing I don’t like is the more shit on the card the longer it takes to get the deck past the home screen or whatever it’s called. It must be going thru a card check or something. After a fresh format it fires up in seconds. With 15 Gigs on a 32 gig card it took about 4 minutes to open up. They definitely need a firmware update.

Interesting. Mine has never taken more than a few seconds to boot up no matter how much info is on the card. I use 16 GB Sandisk Ultra Plus class 10 and I have booted it up in seconds with 10 GB on the card.

Still waiting on them to get back on a firmware update about the power loss files lost deal. Shoot them an email at Marantz Professional support letting them know about the boot up lag and see if there is something they can do about it.

Don’t forget, I have 15 Gigs of crap. Unsaved files or whatever. All of my battery tests had shut down occur at power loss. So nothing was saved properly. I figure the unit is scanning those “unsaved files” and that’s why it’s taking so long to boot up. I’m assuming yours has properly saved files, scans them quick and boots up. Of course I’m just guessing at this being the problem.  :help:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 07:28:19 PM by ts »

Offline ts

« Reply #227 on: February 20, 2018, 04:41:37 PM »
Just thought I would post this pic before I pop open the battery door. I was running another battery test with Eneloops and 2 channels at 24/48 phantom on with everything else disarmed. I was hopeful for a good test. I checked the recorder 4:15 minutes into the test only to find the recorder frozen. According to the timer it happened at 3:37 minutes so this thing has been in this state over 25 minutes. Check out the battery level. It shouldn't have even started a save. Spooky is all I can say.

Edit to add:

for this test I changed some of the settings. In rec assign I changed channels 1 and 2 to stereo from mono. I also made sure everything else was disarmed including mix channels. The prior tests were I was getting over 4 hours on Eneloops the deck was pretty much still on factory default settings and was not locking up at 3:37 as shown in the pic.

Goodcooker I would love to know how you have yours setup for 2 channels phantom on especially the settings in rec assign mode. Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 02:23:24 PM by ts »

Offline ts

« Reply #228 on: February 21, 2018, 07:26:45 AM »
So three of us have one of these things?

Goodcooker, hoppedup and me. Hoping for a firmware update soon? I’ll be watching my return policy carefully with this deck.

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #229 on: February 21, 2018, 11:05:02 AM »

Goodcooker, hoppedup and me. Hoping for a firmware update soon? I’ll be watching my return policy carefully with this deck.

Yup. Haven't taped anything this year and there is nothing on my radar for the foreseeable future.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #230 on: February 21, 2018, 03:48:54 PM »

Yup. Haven't taped anything this year and there is nothing on my radar for the foreseeable future.

Better run some home tests. This thing is spooky.

Except for my one power loss and files disappearing (which happens with other decks as well) mine has been pretty solid. Knocks wood.

Have you sent in anything to Marantz support about your slow boot up and freeze up problems? Would like for them to get as much accomplished with the first firmware update as possible.
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP

"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #231 on: February 21, 2018, 05:48:15 PM »
4 of us

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #232 on: February 23, 2018, 02:36:31 PM »
Update from Doug:

I heard from Doug this week on status of the input circuit upgrades for the 706.

He said he has the parts for both music MODs but not for the Super MOD
for researchers & videographers yet. All the chips he's using are brand new designs. The dynamic range of the stock chips tested around 80dB, in line with the published specs. The preamp chips he'll be using for 1-4 are spec'd with a dynamic range of 125dB. Due to current limitations in the power supply, channels 5 & 6 will use a chip with a 98dB dynamic range, which will be fine for SBD feeds. He's going to offer a Concert MOD and a mixed MOD with Concert on 1 & 2, Warm on 3 & 4, or visa versa. Not able to offer warm for 1-4 unless leaving 5 & 6 stock, again due current limitations. He said the FET warm chips love the juice !

He said to watch the website, he hopes to have a menu of options ready so you can configure them yourself when ordering.

I'm thinking warm 1&2,concert 3&4, since I'd use warm more often with my AKGs. Then all the cables can run from the left side if I'm only running one pair of mics with a SBD feed.

Have a great weekend!
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #233 on: February 23, 2018, 04:40:03 PM »
^Thanks for the update Brad!

:cheers:
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline heva

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #234 on: February 24, 2018, 05:53:55 AM »
Silly question probably, but WHAT chips are discussed here, micpres or adc?

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #235 on: February 24, 2018, 10:20:50 AM »

I think Oade only does upgrades in the analog signal path up to the AD stage in his recorder mods. He did an ADC mod for the Grace V3 but I think that was the only one.

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #236 on: February 24, 2018, 12:03:52 PM »

On the PMD-661 he replaced the entire analog input circuit path up to the last stage that's integrated with the A/D chipset. XLR input caps, and the opamps for MIC level as well as line level are all upgraded on that deck. For people unfamiliar with these types of modifications and wonder why the mfgs don't just use higher end chips for the stock units, I think the simplest explanation is the "one size fits all" aspect of design choices and cost. Chips with a gain structure that can provide optimal performance for recording loud signals without overload distortion, and also extremely quiet sounds without audible noise are too expensive for a deck at this price point. Sonosax, Nagra, and Sound Devices all use the best chips available, which contribute to the price points their decks command.

But it's not enough to just buy chips with better specs on paper. When Doug is initially experimenting on upgrades for the first time with a recorder,  he orders samples of several different models of better performance chips from the factories and auditions them by ear and picks what sounds best to him for the application. Humans have sound palates just like they have taste palates. So just like with prepared food, similarities in palates is what a chef and his most ardent fans share. Best analogy for those of us that swear by Doug's mods I can think of, to paraphrase what Jerry Garcia once said in an interview about Deadheads, "not everyone likes licorice, but those who do like licorice really like it alot"
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline ts

« Reply #237 on: February 25, 2018, 02:59:54 PM »
Fooling around with my 706 again this weekend. Mostly just to test these 2450 mah IKEA branded Eneloop AA rechargeables. So rather than watch it lock up in “saving” mode at 3:37:30 like it has been consistently I stopped recording before that and started a new file. Had to leave and forgot about it.

Checked it this morning and of course it was shutdown due to dead batteries. Popped the card in my laptop to check it and to my surprise I have two files. I had formatted the card prior to this latest test. One huge one with 3.22 GB/3:20 minutes and another file 1.73 GB/1:48 minutes. I was not expecting the second file to be saved. Like I said I had to leave, forgot about it and the batteries died. Isn’t this recorder not saving files on power loss? Why do I have a second file saved?

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #238 on: February 26, 2018, 08:30:46 AM »
because the firmware (current version) sucks

Offline ts

« Reply #239 on: February 26, 2018, 11:16:37 AM »
I’m wondering if one of my issues is due to the settings I have selected. Hoping goodcooker and Nick can post there settings. For now I’m just doing 2 channel. Phantom on. Skipped some of the screens since they should have no effect on recording, but that’s why I’m posting these settings. Maybe they all matter.

1. Input:

Gain - low across the board.
Sel - 1 & 2 on mic. 3 thru 6 on line
Delay - 0
Phas - 0

2. mic power

Phan - 1 & 2 on. 3 thru 6 off
Voltage - 48 V
Plug in - off

3. Rec assign

Mode - 1 & 2 Stereo, 3 thru 6 off
Mix - off across the board
DLVL - no access to these settings

4. Level control

Lim - all off
Auto - all off
LCF - all off

5. Mixer (didn’t really touch this screen. Everything seems to be in default mode?)

6. Output Control (same here. Default settings?)

7. Rec Set

Format - WAV 24B
Sample rate - 48k
Encryption- No

8. Slate setting. (Didn’t change anything)

9. File (pretty simple)

10. Gang control (haven’t played with this yet)

13. Power controls

Auto power save - Off

I also sent two emails to Marantz Pro reporting two separate issues and never heard back.

Thanks. Feel free to comment.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 01:43:47 PM by ts »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com