Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 184 > V2 > FR-2LE question  (Read 6516 times)

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Still loves his mic pre's
Re: 184 > V2 > FR-2LE question
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 04:06:19 PM »
When I first got my V2 (and I was using KM184's) I was running it into an unmodded SBM-1. I went RCA > RCA and set the V2 to about 20dB gain and around 7-8 on the SBM-1. Got great results.

Since the line inputs on the Fostex appear to be 1/4" TS, they are unbalanced. Have a nice set of RCA > 1/4" cables made. There is no point in using an balanced to unbalanced cable (maybe with a 10dB in-line attenuator). The attenuator could potentially reduce signal quality and if you have to unbalance the signal anyway, just go unbalanced all the way. Get a 1ft long unbalanced cable (keep it short) and you will be set.  This is IMO of course, the best way to run this rig. You will be able to get a bit more gain from the V2 and not have to worry about overloading the line inputs on the Fostex.

Good luck!
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
Re: 184 > V2 > FR-2LE question
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 05:15:26 PM »
When I first got my V2 (and I was using KM184's) I was running it into an unmodded SBM-1. I went RCA > RCA and set the V2 to about 20dB gain and around 7-8 on the SBM-1. Got great results.

Since the line inputs on the Fostex appear to be 1/4" TS, they are unbalanced. Have a nice set of RCA > 1/4" cables made. There is no point in using an balanced to unbalanced cable (maybe with a 10dB in-line attenuator). The attenuator could potentially reduce signal quality and if you have to unbalance the signal anyway, just go unbalanced all the way. Get a 1ft long unbalanced cable (keep it short) and you will be set.  This is IMO of course, the best way to run this rig. You will be able to get a bit more gain from the V2 and not have to worry about overloading the line inputs on the Fostex.

Good luck!

SETTLE UP WITH RAOULDUKE, DOUCHEBAG
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com