Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG Blue line?  (Read 15308 times)

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
Re:AKG Blue line?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2003, 10:07:07 PM »
im outta here for the night any help greatly appreciated

Dustin

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2003, 01:17:36 PM »
So I bought Tim's 391's and have made some really great tapes with them (including Toad at the HOB last Saturday night!)  I also recently bought a set of Hyper Caps, the CK93's, from Nutter, mainly because I am taping Queens of the Stone Age here in Raleigh at a shitty venue that puts the taper section in the back on the balcony and I want to cut out as much of the noise in the middle as possible.

But yes, I agree with Tim, there are quality mic's for the money, and a great tool to allow you to learn techniques, etc.  

If you want to hear some samples shoot me an email, I have a couple including the Toad show previously mentioned and a Pat McGee Show if you want to give it a listen...

Nick
ngregory@nc.rr.com

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2003, 01:44:05 PM »
I run 393 -> mp2 and love the sound.  I prefer them to higher priced mics.  The only other mics I'd rather have would be a nice pair of DPAs.....someday :P
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2003, 06:44:28 PM »
akg 391's for 300

i bought them

working on some 93 caps

Tim

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2003, 02:04:52 AM »
Good for you! And Nick I'm glad you're getting some good work out of those mics.

Nothing beats the experience you gain from running mics, you will learn a lot!

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
  • I regret selling my rig :(
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2003, 11:24:07 AM »
quick question... I came across a pair of the 391's for a good price, i think 400. How do they run with an MP-2? I dont know if i want to go this route or the M300>PS-2>transformers route becuase i found these.

Tim

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2003, 11:37:36 AM »
I really like the 300's but they are fixed cards so you are  limiting yourself there.

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
  • I regret selling my rig :(
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2003, 11:43:59 AM »
I really like the 300's but they are fixed cards so you are  limiting yourself there.

yes this is true, but if i got the 300b plus ck91 now i would only be able to run that as a cardsfor a while, and if i ran 391> MP2 would it be a better option than the M300>PS2>Transformers if both were run from the same spot?

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2003, 12:52:36 PM »
depends on which mics you like better.  sounds like you truly like the 300s.  i would tend to agree with you there.  rule of thumb should always be to put the most money possible into the mics, given the choice.  the mics are the single most important factor in determining your sound.  everything else is icing.  i ran 184s/ ps1s/ sbm for a couple years and made some phat recordings with that rig.  never needed transformers even for quiet shows.  

hope this helps.     :)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2003, 01:04:27 PM »
For what it's worth, I currently run 391s->B18s->AT CP8201->Mod SBM->D100...and have made some quality tapes.  The AT transformers give me plenty of gain to work with, even for some of the quieter shows.  I do intend to uprade to a MP-2 eventually, but right now, get pretty good tapes.  

If you want to hear a sample, go to www.toadfans.com and click on recordings on the top.  Go to the Myrtle Beach HOB show, and download one of the tracks....

Questions, let me know.

Nick

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2003, 08:40:39 PM »
i bought 391's

i was wondering what would get me the best results from a fairly smaller show, outside, 20 ft from the stage center

the 91's or the 93's?

should i get some 93 caps now since 90% of what i will be taping will be this scenario...

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2003, 09:35:58 PM »
I would say that with the scenario you are describing, the cards will give you quality results.  The only reason I got a pair of the hypers was strictly because I tape in (1) bad sounding indoor venues, and (2) quite a ways back sometimes, thus want to remove as much of the room as possible.

But yes, in my opinion, the 391's will get you very good results outside, not that far from the stage.  I would offer a recording, but I have not had any direct experience in the sheds yet, but I have heard DMB tapes made by Dave Baty using the 391's in a shed and it sounded great!

Nick

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2003, 08:54:50 PM »
If anyone would like a copy of Phish 2/26/03, audio or shn, I'll do  B+Ps.

AKG 393 -> Mp2 -> D-7

"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline tubems

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • local idiot
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2003, 06:16:12 PM »
yah i did back in 95 a few times
ran teh ck98, did nto care for the ck91 though...
------------
local idiot

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2003, 07:58:11 PM »
I ran 391's for two years & liked them OK. If you can save up a little more (OK a lot) then get the 480's if you want true AKG sound. The 480's can handle the SPL's better than the 391's from my experience. I really don't think you can go wrong with them but if your going to end up buying extra caps (hypers) then just get some 483's. I use the hypers 95% of the time & couldn't imagine ever giving them up. Outdoors a set of CK62 omni's are king.
carl
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com