Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz PMD-706 Six Channel Recorder?  (Read 108731 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: Marantz PMD-706 Six Channel Recorder?
« Reply #255 on: March 10, 2018, 01:40:27 PM »
Ran the deck last night for Split Lip Rayfield in an interesting venue. I had both sets of mics I use - KA300 and MK41 both PFA - running into 1-4. Everything was humming right along - got the opener which was nice since the bass player runs sound at my neighborhood venue. Stopped the deck, switched to a fresh 5V battery and ran for the headliner SLR. At the end of their just over 1.5 hour show I hit the stop button and the screen locked on the SAVING notice. Stayed that way until the batteries ran out. My laptop won't even recognize the card. Used the Kingston 8Gb card supplied with the machine.

I am seriously annoyed. They better get a firmware fix for these issues with a quickness.

After my last run with it on Friday turned out so nice I was not worried at all - now my confidence in this machine is pretty low. Guess I'll use my preamp and PMD620 on Thursday....
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 01:42:38 PM by goodcooker »
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #256 on: March 11, 2018, 03:09:43 PM »
Ran the deck last night for Split Lip Rayfield in an interesting venue. I had both sets of mics I use - KA300 and MK41 both PFA - running into 1-4. Everything was humming right along - got the opener which was nice since the bass player runs sound at my neighborhood venue. Stopped the deck, switched to a fresh 5V battery and ran for the headliner SLR. At the end of their just over 1.5 hour show I hit the stop button and the screen locked on the SAVING notice. Stayed that way until the batteries ran out. My laptop won't even recognize the card. Used the Kingston 8Gb card supplied with the machine.

I am seriously annoyed. They better get a firmware fix for these issues with a quickness.

After my last run with it on Friday turned out so nice I was not worried at all - now my confidence in this machine is pretty low. Guess I'll use my preamp and PMD620 on Thursday....

So glad I sent mine back. Does Doug know about these issues? Seems to me he should, especially since he’s proceeding with mods.

FWIW, my 620 is doing the same thing. Shutting down for no reason and not saving the file. It’s a $49 one with firmware 2.33 and I can’t find firmware updates available anywhere. I think my Marantz days are done.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 05:15:33 PM by ts »

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #257 on: March 12, 2018, 10:47:25 AM »

FWIW, my 620 is doing the same thing. Shutting down for no reason and not saving the file. It’s a $49 one with firmware 2.33 and I can’t find firmware updates available anywhere. I think my Marantz days are done.

I am dismayed and sorry to hear about the issues for the new PMD 706, but I wouldn't lump in the PMD 620 with a newly released deck. In fairness, the PMD 620 was designed by Marantz under different ownership as this division has been bought and sold a few times. I have a PMD620MKII, and it has performed flawlessly for dozens of recordings, not a single issue ever. It is a great deck as is my PMD 661. 

Added: I see in comments that the PMD620 offered for 49.00 has the original apparently buggy firmware. So maybe it was appropriate to lump it in with a newly released deck.Hopefully for those that ordered one on eBay, upgrading will help as apparently this original model was released before it was ready for prime time (sounds familiar  :P). FWIW, they had it figured out by the time they released the PMD620MKII.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 05:03:37 PM by dallman »
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline ts

« Reply #258 on: March 13, 2018, 09:19:37 AM »

I am dismayed and sorry to hear about the issues for the new PMD 706, but I wouldn't lump in the PMD 620 with a newly released deck. In fairness, the PMD 620 was designed by Marantz under different ownership as this division has been bought and sold a few times. I have a PMD620MKII, and it has performed flawlessly for dozens of recordings, not a single issue ever. It is a great deck as is my PMD 661. 

Added: I see in comments that the PMD620 offered for 49.00 has the original apparently buggy firmware. So maybe it was appropriate to lump it in with a newly released deck.Hopefully for those that ordered one on eBay, upgrading will help as apparently this original model was released before it was ready for prime time (sounds familiar  :P). FWIW, they had it figured out by the time they released the PMD620MKII.

Thanks to JB63 I now have what is probably the last firmware release for the 620. Going to test today. :) I was also able to run one more test before updating. This time I used a 16 gig card instead of 32. I also used rechargeables instead of lithiums. The lithiums may have caused some of the issues I was having since there is no setting for lithium on this unit and I had it set to alkaline.

So, this test was much better. It made it to the 4GB file split and saved that file, however the next file which I shutdown manually didn’t save. Good news for me was the rechargeables lasted around 5 1/2 hours. I’ll report back after my next test with newer firmware. Probably should move this to the other thread to.

Offline Nick's Picks

• I thought I heard.......
« Reply #259 on: March 18, 2018, 12:33:21 PM »
https://archive.org/details/jrad2018-03-17.nickspicks

JRAD from Portland last night.   Deck made it all the way...no issues.
Ran it a bit too hot...but I milked as much as I could out of those shitty preamps.  a Warm mod is def. in the future.

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #260 on: March 18, 2018, 04:32:26 PM »
https://archive.org/details/jrad2018-03-17.nickspicks

JRAD from Portland last night.   Deck made it all the way...no issues.
Ran it a bit too hot...but I milked as much as I could out of those shitty preamps.  a Warm mod is def. in the future.

You tried any other mics with it yet? Seems like you were a Neumann guy back in the day. Maybe that Superlux isn't giving you what you are looking for.
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP

"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #261 on: March 19, 2018, 07:41:56 AM »
no, I haven't tried any other mics yet.   I dont get out much.  :)    and I like the stuperlux.   

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #262 on: March 20, 2018, 02:08:05 PM »
I like the stuperlux.

Always thought about getting one of those to hack it so I could get the capsules to swivel. I don't use ORTF unless I'm really close to or on the source - stagelip or onstage.

The capsules look exactly like MBHO caps - from the outside at least.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #263 on: March 21, 2018, 08:46:14 AM »
my rule of proximity...the closer I am to the source, the more I lean towards coincident stereo methods.  On stage, XY, MS or Blumlein.    but 20 to 100' out from the PA, I like ORTF a lot.
the s502 is a great mic, IMO.   I think it will really sing w/a warm mod preamp behind it.   :)

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #264 on: April 11, 2018, 03:50:59 PM »
now, THAT's more like it

Offline ts

« Reply #265 on: April 11, 2018, 04:37:39 PM »
Nice! Did it come with a firmware update? >:D

Just kidding.  ;D

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #266 on: April 11, 2018, 05:03:08 PM »

Sweet! can't wait to hear how it sounds. Different mods on 1/2 and 3/4?

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #267 on: April 12, 2018, 07:54:32 AM »
yea, warm on 1&2, ...not sure what he's calling the 3&4 mod, but I believe all the inputs have benefited.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #268 on: April 12, 2018, 11:01:03 AM »
yea, warm on 1&2, ...not sure what he's calling the 3&4 mod, but I believe all the inputs have benefited.

3&4 -  he calls "concert mod"

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #269 on: April 12, 2018, 02:33:12 PM »

3&4 -  he calls "concert mod"

So, he won't do a deck with all 4 inputs as a "warm mod" or all 4 inputs as a "concert mod"?

Or was this unit ordered with two channels of each?
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com