Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to combine and synchronize two Zoom F8??  (Read 6026 times)

Offline ricola

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
How to combine and synchronize two Zoom F8??
« on: December 19, 2016, 01:51:44 AM »

Hello folks,
I hope someone can help me!!

I regulary use my Zoom F8 for Live Recording and I'm very happy with that.
8 XLR Inputs are really nice, however often I need one or two more XLR Inputs (9-11).
So this weekend I will get the chance to have two Zoom F8 recorders. Unfortunately I don't know how to combine them and use both simultaneously.

I often read about Timecode to synchronize Audio and Video (Zoom F8 have a timecode input and output on board), but I never heard that I could use the same way with two Audio units.
In this (german) video is shown how to timecode Audio and Video and it is mentioned a HD-SDI-cable to connect both units.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI4m9PbaUXA

For the way I could do that also with two Zoom F8 recorders (it means that both Zoom F8 use the same timecode on Record Monitor), I still don't know how to synchronize the different files later in my Cubase DAW.
My problem is, that I cannot press the Rec button of both Zoom F8's exactly at the same time...so I'm sure I have a delay of about few milliseconds.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: How to combine and synchronize two Zoom F8??
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 09:33:42 AM »

If your sources are synced to the same clock you can do the "poor man's slate"

Start both recorders well ahead of time and clap 3 times very loud near a source that is in each recorder. You can find these 3 spikes in the recording later in your DAW and line up the files pretty easily.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 04:59:29 AM »
Also, you can run the timecode out of f8 #1>Timecode IN to F8 #2, then ALL files will be synced to the same clock! Like goodcooker said, clapping a few times really loudly can do the trick as well if tracks arent sycned or you need to cut the beginning of the file/set.

However, if you do the timecode method, I'm ALMOST certain that software like WaveLab[which Ive been using for well over a decade for most things] can easily add all of those files/tracks into one "Audio Montage", and you can "Render" the files into a single 2-channel mixdown ;) That's what Ive ALWAYS used to do my 4 channel matrix's, and like I said, I'm like 95% sure that you can add THAT many tracks into it for a 2 channel mixdown :) Just make sure you delete the "tails" at the beg/end of the audio montage or the files will have a SMALL gap that's noticeable :( There is DEF a tutorial on ts.com somewhere on how to do a Matrix with WL :)

Then, you'd simply add each track or stereo tracks into WL's Audio Montage, and make sure they are all aligned at the beginning of the set/file and give it a listen! Also, with WL you can do "real-time" editing, instead of having to process something in order to hear the results! This IMO is INVALUABLE in a WAV program!!!

I'll try to search for that WL Matrix tutorial and post back! Best of luck man!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 11:18:17 AM »

Start both recorders well ahead of time and clap 3 times very loud near a source that is in each recorder. You can find these 3 spikes in the recording later in your DAW and line up the files pretty easily.

if they're not locked, there will still be drift.  but that's a good starting point.

my nightmare is trying to sync two unlocked sources in post.  i'm batting about .200 on that.  some are easy, others make me want to throw my MBP out the window.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 03:52:17 PM »
DO THIS AGAIN AT THE END OF THE RECORDINGS TOO, it will make the sync task MUCH easier!

if they're not locked, there will still be drift.  but that's a good starting point.

my nightmare is trying to sync two unlocked sources in post.  i'm batting about .200 on that.  some are easy, others make me want to throw my MBP out the window.

Contact me if you get stuck, I'm pretty good at finding matching peaks...
acffhmorst at gmail or 608   347   9971
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 11:25:08 PM »
Some posters on the Remote Recording forum on GS have synced a couple F8s.  You might want to pose your question there.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline ricola

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 02:30:33 AM »
Some posters on the Remote Recording forum on GS have synced a couple F8s.  You might want to pose your question there.

Thanks for all your help!
Yes on GS I found the right answer to sync two F8 Units and use only ONE REC Button.

Set it up so that the master controls both units.
Connect a small Wordclock cable between the 2 units.
Zoom F8 No. 1 = Master (Time Code=Int Sync Rec)
Zoom F8 No. 2 = Slave (Time Code = Auto Rec)

Another problem is still to monitoring both units with one pair headphones.

A user on GS wrote:

"....As far as monitoring, on location, I just use a pair of phones.
 So I made a special 1/4 TRS cable that goes into both units and has a female 1/4 stereo on the other end...This allows me to monitor both units, using their internal mixers. Overall output level is controlled by the headphone pot on each unit. Which I set approx. the same..."

Any idea where I can get such a custom made cable??

Thanks!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com