Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Remote/redundant battery power for a Sony Camcorder (cx550v)  (Read 2853 times)

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
Remote/redundant battery power for a Sony Camcorder (cx550v)
« on: January 04, 2014, 12:58:24 PM »
I'm very happy with the CX550v so far. Good choice to start with.

Last night I was running and the battery gave out unexpectedly. That issue aside, it got me thinking about how to use an external battery like I do with the R-44 while also having internal batteries so if either fails it has a second supply. I wasn't in a location I could use the AC adapter as backup which I like to do if I can.

The NP-FV100 battery provides 6.8v/3900mAH

AC adapter outputs 8.4v 1.5A

I realize it's not a standard connector to connect to the camera, wondering if it might be as easy as cutting the cable and attaching an adapter to feed from a 9v DVD battery or something similar. I did some searching and either I'm missing a retail solution to this or it doesn't exist. Pointers appreciated.

Has anybody thought about this or tried it? Is there something more complex in the powering of these things that makes this undesirable?
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Remote/redundant battery power for a Sony Camcorder (cx550v)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 05:59:00 PM »
i have no idea about your question but my sony fv100 battery has been running strong for 3 or 4 years and will record 4 hrs still to this day with no problem ...id say you got a dud or fake battery get a replacement from BHphoto.

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 07:13:25 PM »
i have no idea about your question but my sony fv100 battery has been running strong for 3 or 4 years and will record 4 hrs still to this day with no problem ...id say you got a dud or fake battery get a replacement from BHphoto.

Yes, should have a done more research. Impulse buy. Not the real deal. Remaining life stat was not accurate during use. I wasn't close enough to see it as it was running but probably dropped fast. Ran for a couple hours but should have had much more of course. Lesson learned.

Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 11:56:23 AM »
Also as there is no power button on the camera you must turn it on by opening the LCD but you can also run it with the LCD closed if you have it static mounted to prolong battery life.In case you were unaware once you have it dialed in the way you want you can pull the viewfinder out about a half inch and then close the LCD ,the power will stay on,however if the viewfinder is not extended the camera will turn off.Also if the viewfinder was extended the camera will also remain turned on perhaps in your camera bag thinking it was off.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com