Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rebel T1i and lens question  (Read 3457 times)

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Rebel T1i and lens question
« on: April 10, 2014, 08:35:13 PM »
I have a rebel t1i and a tamron lens that is probably at least 12 years old, it's a 28-300mm I think. The problem I has is the pictures are not very vibrant at all, I noticed a ton when I bought a canon sx280-hs. The picture the new small camera takes are way better to me. So, my question is will a new lens get me the vibrance I'm looking for? Or do I need a new body like an sl1 or something? I don't have the money for a new body really so I'd love for the answer to be a lens.

If the solution is a lens, what would you recommend? I like the ability for a very wide shot, being down in the 20mm all the way to somewhere around 275mm. What may fit the bill?

Thank you
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: (3) Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: (2) Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Rebel T1i and lens question
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 10:00:27 PM »
First question is how you've set up your T1i to make pictures.  I've got another brand of  camera that is meh on the default factory settings, but changing those settings has made a very substantial difference in my photos. 

Read through this and experiment with your camera settings. 

http://my.safaribooksonline.com/book/photography/9781435454965/setting-up-your-canon-eos-rebel-t1i-500d/ch03lev1sec2

Another thing you could try is shooting in RAW format and adjusting the color later in your photo software, but try different camera settings first.

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 10:18:44 PM »
Marking thread (I have the same camera)...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 11:42:16 PM »
Another tip I found helpful was to photograph the same object in the same lighting conditions, but changing the camera settings and then checking how I liked the resulting photos.  If you shoot a bunch of pictures of different objects in different lighting, it can actually be harder to assess if your settings are making things better or worse. 

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 11:50:32 PM »
It would be helpful to maybe take a picture with each camera of the same thing (at the same time). Include your settings on each camera.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 08:11:44 AM »
It would be helpful to maybe take a picture with each camera of the same thing (at the same time). Include your settings on each camera.

Ill try and give it a shot tonight

Another tip I found helpful was to photograph the same object in the same lighting conditions, but changing the camera settings and then checking how I liked the resulting photos.  If you shoot a bunch of pictures of different objects in different lighting, it can actually be harder to assess if your settings are making things better or worse. 

Ill try this and read that thing on the settings, it sounds like that may be the way to go and do it, but would a lens help that? I don't know enough about cameras to know the answer. But if I can just change some settings I'm sold!

Thanks for the help all
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: (3) Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: (2) Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 08:15:34 AM »
Learning how the controls on the DSLR will really help you. It's not that hard once you know what things do.

Your going to want to learn what your aperture, shutter speed, and ISO settings are (those are the basics).

Once you get that down, you'll make a lot nicer pics.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 10:45:20 AM »
Exactly which Tamron model lens do you have? 

If you make pictures using another lens on your T1i, do they look good in comparison to pictures from the Tamron?

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 08:22:06 PM »
The lens shouldnt be the problem its just that point and shoots have the saturation etc cranked up like alandscape mode if the T1i has picture profiles try some of them or just shoot RAW and change it later.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 08:43:10 PM »
There also is a great seminar video on You Tube on BH photo channel called "Better images with your EOS rebel" hosted by Rudy of Canon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myds2jxQTXQ
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 11:12:20 AM by beatkilla »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com