Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: EDIROL R-44 (PART IV)  (Read 115771 times)

Offline bugg100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: EDIROL R-44 (PART IV)
« Reply #345 on: November 15, 2011, 03:54:38 PM »
count me in the camp of fans of Naint's PFA... functional and easy and safe to use!

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #346 on: December 03, 2011, 12:03:55 AM »
Just a quick check-in. I'm like 3+ years and several hundred recordings in without a single glitch due to my R-44. Reliability has literally been 100% for me. Freakin' sweet deck.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #347 on: December 04, 2011, 02:41:57 PM »
Just a quick check-in. I'm like 3+ years and several hundred recordings in without a single glitch due to my R-44. Reliability has literally been 100% for me. Freakin' sweet deck.

Me too! And I've even dropped mine once. If I had the money I'd buy four more!
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

adrianf74

« Reply #348 on: December 04, 2011, 03:40:55 PM »
Jon's Niant PFAs have worked really well with the R44 [edit] with every recorder I've plugged them into (R44, DR680, 722) in my experience.  I ran two pair of them into an OCM R44 for a very compact mobile FOB rig at Bear Creek this last weekend and chose that specific combo because 'it just works'-  simple and reliable in tough conditions.  Stongly endorsed here.
That's good to read.  I recently picked up a PFA for use with my 4061's or CA-14 cards and a friend's DR680.  It's nice to know that I can run his AKG's with one of mine on an additional channel plus the board feed (if granted) and not have to worry about clock frequencies/retiming/synching/etc. 

However, based on everything I've read, I'd likely go the route of the R-44 over the 680 if I was buying one today.  Luckily, I can borrow my friend's 680 but if this ever changes, I'll have to get my own. :D

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #349 on: December 04, 2011, 09:43:42 PM »
An R-66 or R-88 in about the same package size would be great.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #350 on: December 05, 2011, 12:06:27 PM »
I vote R-88 but I can see them saying that they have that now by linking two R-44s. Sadly that isn't really the case.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline danlynch

• nyctaper
« Reply #351 on: December 05, 2011, 01:30:26 PM »

Same here, although I'll be three years in March.
Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #352 on: December 05, 2011, 06:58:43 PM »
10/31/2008 for me. GREAT recorder!

Having said as much, mine has to go, making way for the new to me Alesis HD24! 

Two channels was never enough with an iRiver, so that led to 2 iRivers... Syncing multiple clocks sucks!

That led to an R-44, 4 was cool for a while with a stereo pair onstage, but the interest of close mic'ing sources plus stage pair led to..

Zoom r-16, great deck despite not much love here on TS.com, but 8 isn't quite enough...

Since no one makes an 11 or 13 track recorder.... 24 it is! >:D

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #353 on: December 06, 2011, 11:08:41 AM »

Having said as much, mine has to go, making way for the new to me Alesis HD24! 

Zoom r-16, great deck despite not much love here on TS.com, but 8 isn't quite enough...

I haven't played enough with my R-16 to say one way or the other. I hope to get a JoeCo 24 channel recorder next year.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #354 on: December 06, 2011, 12:27:12 PM »
I really do love my r-16, very capable recorder, if the limitation of 2 phantom channels isn't a problem... And it never is for my style.  A zoom in the same format with 16 inputs would really be ideal, this new rig of a 6U rack pushes the limit of my 1 trip load-in rule....  But $500 was too good to pass up!

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #355 on: December 06, 2011, 12:51:47 PM »
I really do love my r-16, very capable recorder, if the limitation of 2 phantom channels isn't a problem... And it never is for my style.  A zoom in the same format with 16 inputs would really be ideal, this new rig of a 6U rack pushes the limit of my 1 trip load-in rule....  But $500 was too good to pass up!

Take a look at this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/672922-REG/JoeCo_BBR1_BBR1_BLACKBOX_RECORDER.html
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #356 on: December 07, 2011, 06:36:13 PM »
Panatrope's law - the number of channels required for a recording is always one greater than the number available.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #357 on: December 07, 2011, 07:17:18 PM »
Panatrope's law - the number of channels required for a recording is always one greater than the number available.

No doubt, especially since I find myself needing odd numbers of channels- 5, 7, 9, or 11
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #358 on: December 08, 2011, 03:47:31 PM »

Take a look at this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/672922-REG/JoeCo_BBR1_BBR1_BLACKBOX_RECORDER.html

Take a look at the $2500 price as well.... For $500, plus 200 for a rackmount and using two dual preamps I already owned, I have 24 balanced in channels.

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #359 on: January 14, 2012, 06:24:03 PM »
What kind of cards do I need for the r44?
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com