Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-D100 Part2  (Read 114897 times)

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sony PCM-D100 Part2
« Reply #150 on: May 04, 2017, 09:43:07 PM »
Why don't you check it in a store in Japan?

Because I've never seen them in audio/video/electronic stores here, not even behind glass. I guess the price point is simply too high.  Or maybe they once were displayed in the past but no longer because the high price never made them a good seller, and we must admit that this isn't a new product were talking about either. However D-100's are sold at Amazon Japan and other places online.

http://www.sony.jp/store/retail/tourist/english/

"Sony Store, Sony’s wholly-owned direct retail outlets, carry Sony Overseas Models that can be used outside Japan."
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline mitchellm

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #151 on: May 04, 2017, 10:31:29 PM »
Which model Soundman binaural microphone do you use?

And would the quality of the recording (noise floor, soundstage, etc.) using one of those Soundman binaural microphones be noticeably different when connected to a Sony D-100 (or even a MixPre-3) versus an iPhone (with required adapter)?

Just so that I understand what we're talking about more accurately, these binaural microphones are mics only, or do they ALSO let you monitor the recording acting as headphones too?  It seems that the Roland product discussed earlier in this thread acts as both.

- - - - - - - -

I am using the OKM II Classic Rock made Dec 2016. I haven't taken them out for a full spin yet. Will do so in June. They offered me a great upgrade price from the ones I had before. I believe those were the OKM II Classic. The recent one is both good for ambient and softer sounds but also now for louder sounds (i.e. rock). The original ones I had only worked well for softer sounds (softer than a brass band, but great for string quartets and louder).

I don't know what the recording to an iPhone would be like. There are 3 major elements to consider: the mic itself, the quality of the preamps, and the storage mechanism. But how these things get stored these days is pretty trivial (so an iPhone for storage should be fine). The difference between the D100 or MixPre-3 and an iPhone is going to be in the quality of the preamps. These binaural mics are already pretty sensitive so they don't need a lot of gain. That's a roundabout way of saying that a D100 would be preferable, but with these mics I think the difference would be minimal. But I could be quite wrong. I haven't tested it. With mics needing more gain, the D100 would blow an iPhone out of the water.

The make of the binaural mics is really into iPhones these days so I'd email him. He'll give you an honest answer as long as he knows what kinds of sounds you're trying to record.

The OKMs only work as mics, not as headphones.

I should stress it really depends on what conditions you'll be recording under. I love these binaural mics, and use them a lot, BUT they are very sensitive to wind (either natural wind or wind created if you are walking around). If I'm relatively still, or walking slowly, and am indoors they are a great choice. Outdoors on even a mildly windy day is a no go. In those cases I use another regular mic with a proper windscreen.

Offline JDW

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #152 on: May 04, 2017, 11:03:13 PM »

"Sony Store, Sony’s wholly-owned direct retail outlets, carry Sony Overseas Models that can be used outside Japan."

Thank you very much for trying to be helpful. But I am aware of those stores. You must realize that anything sold direct by product manufacturers here in Japan is basically like buying something from Apple. You don't get any discounts. So when I said I couldn't find the D100 at audio/video/electronic stores, I'm talking about stores like Yamada Denki that offer substantial discounts, akin to what you find on Amazon.

- - - - - - - - -

Mitchellm,

Thank you for the detailed feedback about the binaural microphones from Soundman. I'll send them an email and mention this thread. Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 11:07:44 PM by JDW »

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #153 on: May 05, 2017, 09:11:17 AM »

Thank you very much for trying to be helpful. But I am aware of those stores. You must realize that anything sold direct by product manufacturers here in Japan is basically like buying something from Apple. You don't get any discounts. So when I said I couldn't find the D100 at audio/video/electronic stores, I'm talking about stores like Yamada Denki that offer substantial discounts, akin to what you find on Amazon.

I'm not trying to help you buy a D100. You can bargain-hunt on your own. (And you're wrong about Apple: I've gotten terrific discounts on their refurbished items -- as good as new!)

But you asked a question of this forum and I'm trying to point out that you can more easily find the answer to it yourself, since most of us are not in Japan.

You asked: "I don't know if it's true or not, but I've read that if you buy it here in Japan the interface is locked Japanese only.  True or false?" A visit to a Sony store in Japan will answer this for you.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline JDW

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #154 on: May 05, 2017, 09:26:42 AM »
You asked: "I don't know if it's true or not, but I've read that if you buy it here in Japan the interface is locked Japanese only.  True or false?" A visit to a Sony store in Japan will answer this for you.

Indeed. Thank you for pointing that out.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #155 on: May 05, 2017, 10:57:53 AM »

Indeed. Thank you for pointing that out.

You are very welcome. Please let us know what you find out.

Offline JDW

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #156 on: May 06, 2017, 09:50:07 AM »
Please let us know what you find out.

Well, I found out that these Sony specialty stores, geared for selling select merchandise to non-Japanese who visit Japan, do not carry the highest end pro products like the D-100.  What those retail stores carry is shown in their catalog here:

http://contents.sony.jp/products/overseas/contents/pdf/OVERSEAS22_sou.pdf#page=12

However, I was able to find out that the D100 models sold in Japan ship with the Japanese UI enabled by default, but it is selectable to English. This is mentioned on page 79 of the Japanese D100 user guide:

http://www.sony.jp/ServiceArea/impdf/pdf/44754150M-JP.pdf

Of course, all printed materials that come with units sold in Japan will be printed in Japanese.

Current pricing from Amazon Japan marketplace sellers is ¥85800 (brand new), which at today's rate is about $760, and includes 8% sales tax for Japan and free shipping.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #157 on: May 06, 2017, 10:17:13 AM »
Please let us know what you find out.

Well, I found out that these Sony specialty stores, geared for selling select merchandise to non-Japanese who visit Japan, do not carry the highest end pro products like the D-100.  What those retail stores carry is shown in their catalog here:

http://contents.sony.jp/products/overseas/contents/pdf/OVERSEAS22_sou.pdf#page=12

However, I was able to find out that the D100 models sold in Japan ship with the Japanese UI enabled by default, but it is selectable to English. This is mentioned on page 79 of the Japanese D100 user guide:

http://www.sony.jp/ServiceArea/impdf/pdf/44754150M-JP.pdf

Of course, all printed materials that come with units sold in Japan will be printed in Japanese.

Current pricing from Amazon Japan marketplace sellers is ¥85800 (brand new), which at today's rate is about $760, and includes 8% sales tax for Japan and free shipping.

Thanks for that info. That's a really good price from Amazon Japan. You can always download the manual in English here:

https://esupport.sony.com/CA/p/model-home.pl?mdl=PCMD100&template_id=1&region_id=3&tab=manuals#/manualsTab

Offline JDW

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #158 on: May 28, 2017, 07:06:06 AM »
Well, I ended up purchasing an Amazon warehouse deals Sony PCM-D100 and got it forwarded to me here in Japan.   It's in "like new" condition, as described, but I'm finding there's no sound coming out of the green-ringed headphone output, regardless of the headphones I plug-in and regardless of the headphone volume setting. I went through the menu settings I don't see anything that would prevent audio from coming out. Plus, if I plug my headphones into the line out port, which is to the left of the headphone jack, if I set the slide switch to Mic and the Line switch to 0, I can hear audio just fine, both during a recording and as play back. So unless there some trick to get the headphones to work, it would appear that the headphone jack on this D100 is defective. Any thoughts?

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #159 on: May 28, 2017, 08:18:17 AM »
Well, I ended up purchasing an Amazon warehouse deals Sony PCM-D100 and got it forwarded to me here in Japan.   It's in "like new" condition, as described, but I'm finding there's no sound coming out of the green-ringed headphone output, regardless of the headphones I plug-in and regardless of the headphone volume setting. I went through the menu settings I don't see anything that would prevent audio from coming out. Plus, if I plug my headphones into the line out port, which is to the left of the headphone jack, if I set the slide switch to Mic and the Line switch to 0, I can hear audio just fine, both during a recording and as play back. So unless there some trick to get the headphones to work, it would appear that the headphone jack on this D100 is defective. Any thoughts?

If you unplug the headphones during playback, is there sound coming out of the speaker?

Offline JDW

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #160 on: May 28, 2017, 10:22:24 AM »
If you unplug the headphones during playback, is there sound coming out of the speaker?

Yes.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #161 on: May 28, 2017, 10:53:39 AM »

Yes.

And if you pull the headphone plug in and out of the headphone jack, does the speaker cut in and out?

Offline JDW

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #162 on: May 28, 2017, 05:30:21 PM »
And if you pull the headphone plug in and out of the headphone jack, does the speaker cut in and out?

Yes.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #163 on: May 28, 2017, 07:56:41 PM »

Yes.

You could try putting contact cleaner on the headphone plug and pushing it in and out.

Check "Setting the playback sound quality" on page 48 of the manual. Turn it to "off".

Try also a factory reset of the unit. Press HOME>Settings>Common Settings>Reset All Settings

If nothing works, see if Amazon gives you a warranty, or just take it into a Sony repair centre and tell them it's brand new. Maybe they'll fix it for free.

Offline JDW

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #164 on: May 28, 2017, 08:21:06 PM »
Thank you for the advice, but the headphone jack seems dead.  I will ship this to family in California via express mail and have them return it to Amazon so I can get a refund.  Amazon gives me a month to do this, and there's still time left.

The only reason I even knew about Amazon Warehouse Deals is because a kind person in this thread suggested it.  But what I discovered is that Amazon is utterly incompetent when it comes to items sold there.  I've used Amazon USA and Amazon Japan for YEARS without a single problem.  Amazon Warehouse Deals comes with a very big caveat.  First of all, I should say that I am a very meticulous person.  I started 3 different Chats with an Amazon rep to confirm the condition and items included before I purchased.  They answered most all my questions.  When the unit arrived, it even had an "Inspected" sticker affixed to the box.  But after finding out the headphone jack was dead (at which time I began posting here again), I also discovered that the wireless receiver unit for the remote control was not inside the box!  The remote is there but not the companion IR receiver module.  Then I discovered that the unit should have also come with a protective case for the D100, but that was no where to be found.  Utter incompetence.  There's no excuse for this, especially when I invoked 3 different chat sessions with them to confirm all would be well prior to purchase.

You folks in the US probably couldn't care less, and for good reason.  When there's a problem, you just return it to Amazon for free.  But for me, living in Japan, I must pay to get it transshipped to me, and then if there's a problem, I need to ship it to either family or a cooperative freight-forwarded who will print the required labels and then ship it back to Amazon, all within their designated time frame.

I've ordered a new unit, this time from B&H (since the sale price is cheaper than Amazon, and there is no tax, and the shipping is free too -- within the USA).  I will then get it forwarded to me by family.  Hopefully that will solve these messy problems.

Amazon Warehouse Deals...  NEVER AGAIN!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com