Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SP BBs or Microphone Madness?  (Read 3175 times)

Offline polewka

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My YouTube Channel
SP BBs or Microphone Madness?
« on: August 15, 2013, 02:33:25 PM »
Ok.

Looking to buy yet another BB. I go through them to the tune of 1 per year. So far I have always purchased SP BBs and they do the job for me with regard to the recording. However, the 'L' shaped connectors always fail and fill the rec full of static. This has happened to me with 3 separate  BB recorders. I even bought one of the Yard Sale here which is a dud too and doesn't work.

So, are Microphne Madness BBs any use and solidly built. Better than SPs? If no, or if you care to point me to an alternative better than both, that would be appreciated.

Have 2 rigs at the moment, but can only run 1 due to another faulty BB.

Thanks people, appreciate any feedback you give.
Mics: AT853's (Cards), CA-14's (Cards)
Battery Boxes: SP-SPSB-6, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Sony PCM-M10
Camera: Panasonic Lumix TZ-7

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: SP BBs or Microphone Madness?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 01:26:57 AM »
Ok.

Looking to buy yet another BB. I go through them to the tune of 1 per year. So far I have always purchased SP BBs and they do the job for me with regard to the recording. However, the 'L' shaped connectors always fail and fill the rec full of static. This has happened to me with 3 separate  BB recorders. I even bought one of the Yard Sale here which is a dud too and doesn't work.

So, are Microphne Madness BBs any use and solidly built. Better than SPs? If no, or if you care to point me to an alternative better than both, that would be appreciated.

If you don"t need the bass roll off I recommend a CA BB ...very  >:D

Offline polewka

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 05:18:02 AM »
Need the roll off mate. Run at 107hz. I'm not a bass head. This force rely though!
Mics: AT853's (Cards), CA-14's (Cards)
Battery Boxes: SP-SPSB-6, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Sony PCM-M10
Camera: Panasonic Lumix TZ-7

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 07:42:56 AM »
Swordfish is onto something.  I'd second the CA-UBB as well.  I know you want bass roll off ability but you (more than likely) don't need them with small cards and if you need them for the omnis, you can always roll that off in post.  I'd sooner do some quick EQ or other trickery and have "too much bass" than be caught with my pants down and not have enough.

I'm not a bass-head, either.  In fact, some people call my mastering a touch on the bright/less bassy side but that's how I roll.  :)

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 02:50:56 PM »
I tend to agree with Adrian (as usual), but besides that... What's going on with your battery boxes?! Does your cat play with them or something? :P Just kidding. Or not. I mean, what happens to them so they die on you after just one year of use? I have had and extensively used an SPSB-3L (and I mean I have jumped and bumped it while taping! I'm no conventional taper, you guess) for over a year and it works as the first day. Maybe you should use some alternative cable extensions so the bb jacks aren't forced in any way? Just my 0'02 though
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 03:05:12 PM »
Ok.

you must be doing something for them to fail all the time
I had my sp bb or like 8 yrs and it was fine
With that said I would also look into just getting a new connector v buying a whole box
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.225 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com