Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR100 MKII (as Bit Bucket) and Mytek Stereo192 ADC - Incompatable?  (Read 23990 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Tascam DR100 MKII (as Bit Bucket) and Mytek Stereo192 ADC - Incompatable?
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2012, 03:44:48 PM »
Does this possibly have anything do to with SCMS?

That's a goddam four letter word Zack.   ;)

Offline ShawnF

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Tascam DR100 MKII (as Bit Bucket) and Mytek Stereo192 ADC - Incompatable?
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2012, 03:50:19 PM »
Does this possibly have anything do to with SCMS?

Would seem unlikely to me, since this would still allow for digital copies of CDs . . .

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
At thier request, I sent my Mytek192 ADC and Tascam DR100 MKII to Mytek and they are trying to work out the problems. On first report they could not get anything to digitally synch up with the Tascam. I told them I had no problem with synching the SD USB Pre2 and that Steve had had sucess with his Mini me and the Tascam. That is all I know at this point. I think it was great that Mytek offered to try and figure out the problem, but am concerned that their initial attempts have them baffled. More to follow...
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline ShawnF

• Taperssection Member
Have them try to synch at 44.1 (if they haven't already)--this worked fine for me, as reported above.  And if they leave the Tascam at 44.1 and change the rate on the Mytek, see if the lock still holds (though it will be written with incorrect header information).  Would love to get this all squared away somehow . . .

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Im having the same issues with my mytek and sony d50. I called mytek a handfull of times and it seems there's only one tech guy there that knows anything (mihow)

That's Michal Jurewicz. He founded/runs the company

kirk97132

At thier request, I sent my Mytek192 ADC and Tascam DR100 MKII to Mytek and they are trying to work out the problems. On first report they could not get anything to digitally synch up with the Tascam. I told them I had no problem with synching the SD USB Pre2 and that Steve had had sucess with his Mini me and the Tascam. That is all I know at this point. I think it was great that Mytek offered to try and figure out the problem, but am concerned that their initial attempts have them baffled. More to follow...

If it helps, Sound Devices found that the Tascam & Sony  (Dr-680 & D-50 respectively) only reads the header information not the actual digital stream.  They were the two deck SD used for testing which seems to have covered any other decks with the issue.  So I'd suspect that the solution is the Mytek will need to be able to output the digital information needed in the header.  For the  SD USBPre2 it was done easily with a patch that the consumer could install.  I have no idea about that type of thing with a Mytek.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse

If it helps, Sound Devices found that the Tascam & Sony  (Dr-680 & D-50 respectively) only reads the header information not the actual digital stream.  They were the two deck SD used for testing which seems to have covered any other decks with the issue.  So I'd suspect that the solution is the Mytek will need to be able to output the digital information needed in the header.  For the  SD USBPre2 it was done easily with a patch that the consumer could install.  I have no idea about that type of thing with a Mytek.
I have passed this info along to Mytek, Thanks Kirk!!

Offline ShawnF

• Taperssection Member

My DR-680 works fine with the Mytek, though.  It's just the DR100 MKII that doesn't play nice with it, so there's something different about how those two decks "see" the signal/header information.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse

My DR-680 works fine with the Mytek, though.  It's just the DR100 MKII that doesn't play nice with it, so there's something different about how those two decks "see" the signal/header information.
As does my Tascam HD P2. I think perhaps some digital corners were cut by Tascam in order to bring a low cost deck that really is quite nice. It would be great though if Mytek can find a way to be compatable. Their ADC really sounds nice! Having a smaller bit bucket is nice in tight seats and small spaces.

kirk97132

Shawn are you using SPDIF or AES with the 680? 

Offline ShawnF

• Taperssection Member
I have used both successfully, with the appropriate setting enabled on the DR-680.  Normally I just use SPDIF, however.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
I just spoke to Michal at Mytek and he was very clear in explaining the issue withthe Mytek and Tascam not communicating digitally. They can get the units to talk at 44.1 as has been established, but the problem (being recollected by my amateur ears) is that they (Mytek) use chips that conform to the AES standard, and those chips come to them hard coded and cannot be altered. They spent time trying to find a method of conversion, but could not and they say it would require a firmware upgrade from Tascam.

I was really impressed with the time and effort they put in with my Tascam and Mytek and thay they incurred shipping costs on my behalf to look at the issue. I am not sure how easy or hard it will be to get the message across to Tascam for a firmware upgrade.

I know their are many of you out there who can probably expand upon my limited interpretation of what I learned from Michal at Mytek.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
I just spoke to Michal at Mytek and he was very clear in explaining the issue withthe Mytek and Tascam not communicating digitally. They can get the units to talk at 44.1 as has been established, but the problem (being recollected by my amateur ears) is that they (Mytek) use chips that conform to the AES standard, and those chips come to them hard coded and cannot be altered. They spent time trying to find a method of conversion, but could not and they say it would require a firmware upgrade from Tascam.

I was really impressed with the time and effort they put in with my Tascam and Mytek and thay they incurred shipping costs on my behalf to look at the issue. I am not sure how easy or hard it will be to get the message across to Tascam for a firmware upgrade.

I know their are many of you out there who can probably expand upon my limited interpretation of what I learned from Michal at Mytek.

That's too bad, though I'm not surprised. It is great that Mytek was willing to work with you and provide good service.

It does sound though that it is just what I expected -- the mytek only provides an AES output, and the output available on the RCA output is not really a spdif out as they market, but rather an AES format output on an RCA connector.

To me, this is an issue of Mytek -- they claim to provide a spdif out, and don't. Tascam claims their recorder has a spdif input, and it appears that it does. They don't claim to have an AES input, but Mytek is suggesting they make one through firmware.

Bottom line -- AES out only on the Mytek, spdif in only on the Tascam.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline sunflute

• Taperssection Regular
  • Peace
Here's some information that may be relevant to some people.

I've been trying to get the Tascam DR100mkii to lock to my Sound Devices 702 and also to a Forssell MADC-2 converter with no digital lock beyond 44.1k.
I called Tascam and they were not much help either (They said the tascam locks correctly with a number of outboard recorders they have in their shop and they said I should take it up with the manufacturers of my other outboard gear).

I then went deeper into the settings of the SD 702 and found a couple settings that allowed me to lock digitally at 96k

1- I changed the Digital Output mode on the SD702 from Professional to Consumer, then
2- I changed the Frequency from 96k to 96.096 in the SD702 and that allowed me to lock digitally to the Tascam with the 702.

Sooo, it seems the Tascam is clocked at 96.096 instead of plain 96K

Unfortunatelly the Forssell doesn't have those (varying frequency) options so in a sense the Tascam is useless to me as a bitbucket.  :(

Peace
Marco Granados
Sunflute

Offline sunflute

• Taperssection Regular
  • Peace
Ok, I can sort-of use the DR100mkii as a Bit Bucket....

The SD702 will lock to the Forssell's AES (96K) signal AND also
output Consumer level SPDIF 96.096k signal to which the DR100mkii will lock with.

So I can use the DR100mkii as a backup, but unfortunately I cannot get rid of the SD702
since it is the only recorder I have that locks to the Forrsell. I bought the DR100mkii thinking
I might not need the SD702, but I am now discovering how great a machine this recorder is.

Peace
Marco Granados
Sunflute

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com