Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: recommend a tripod  (Read 2415 times)

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
recommend a tripod
« on: November 16, 2004, 04:47:36 PM »
I've been looking at the Vivitar PL200 or PL300. Can anyone comment on the use differences between ball heads and pan/tilt? I suspect pan/tilt is easier to control, but takes longer to adjust, but I've never used a ball head tripod.

How do these compare to the (much more) expensive Manfrottos? I'd prefer to keep it under $100.
Out of the game … for now?

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: recommend a tripod
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 04:53:22 PM »
i might post this over on www.photo.net (almost entirely film) or www.fredmiranda.com (purely digital)

thanks to damon for introducing me to these sites!

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 04:54:15 PM »
I have to thank Damon for Fred Miranda's site as well. I need to start entering those weekly contests.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 07:55:57 PM »
i would consider going used and going with a bogen/manfrotto set.  check the fm.com buy and sell board, it's incredibly active.  the bogen/manfrotto tripods are worth the extra money.  they are very sturdy and quick to set up.  once you've used a good tripod, you realize the little bit extra money is worth it.  don't you have the 70-200mm?  make sure whatever head you get can support it and the digirebel.  it's not the heaviest lens, but out in the wind and on a tripod, it can get moved around.

here's a sale at fm.com, for the bogen 3021 legs (very similar to the one you borrowed from me, the 3221) and the 3030 pan/tilt head (same as the one you borrowed) for $140.  http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/151376

i'm sure there are plenty more on there.  if you want, my 3030 pan/tilt head is sitting around unused right now since i switched to a ballhead.  you are welcome to use it for as long as you like, i'll only need it if some day i add a second tripod, which is not happening anytime soon.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 10:23:41 PM by dmonterisi »

Offline rerem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 08:25:33 AM »
If it is for a still camera,35mm or dig,don't go to big. A light tripod is a tripod you will be willing to tote around. On big Teles,zooms there may be a mount on the lens that helps everything be balance better

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 09:20:34 AM »
Heh, old thread. :)  I ended up with Bogen 3001 (or 3001N, don't remember) legs and a 3030 head. It's light enough to carry around, but very stable with the lenses I've put up on it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com