Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Gigabit Network Switches, are they all created equal?  (Read 21401 times)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Gigabit Network Switches, are they all created equal?
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2014, 10:55:08 PM »
It may be an option on some higher end NAS devices to use QoS but I have never looked into this and would think it's not common - very unlikely on any appliance devices such as DLNA capable wifi receivers for example

For QoS to work you need Configurable QoS switches, end points, and any layer 3 and above device in the middle - note that not all manufacturers use the same QoS markers as each other (I.e. Cisco vs Avaya) so being able to configure the devices is required.

I agree with all of this and what h2o previously stated. ISPs won't care about your QoS rules unless you have some really good agreement with them. If you have a home/office and there's just a few machines, QoS also isn't that big of a deal. I suggest running iperf/vnstat on your machines to see what throughput you get on your switches, network cards, routers, etc.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2014, 02:28:02 PM »
The NAS uses Gigabit wired connection only and whole house is also wired with CAT6a STP wi-fi doesn't factor in our WAN or with any DLNA devices. 

We didn't pick up a QoS switch, my interest in the feature is only that some gigabit switches touted QoS as a feature so I'm wondering where that feature would actually be useful.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2014, 02:09:58 AM »
Unless you're doing VOIP telephony, I wouldn't think you'd really need to control QoS.

I like Netgear & Linksys, Trendnet works fine for the $$ until it doesn't. D-Link is also Ok.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com