Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Can you hear the difference between the FP24/MP-2/Mixpre?  (Read 8097 times)

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Can you hear the difference between the FP24/MP-2/Mixpre?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2014, 08:35:11 AM »
Very valid points about the ADC in the newer decks, I'm sure they are much improved & it's probably not worth the additional weight of another box. Bean also raises a valid point about less decks being available with a digital input.
I looked at the Mytek in the yard, as tempting as it is I only have so much room in the bag. That thing is a beast I must say, impressive! Looks like I'll have to join the crowd & opt for convenience this time leaving room in the bag for more microphones...
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline jcb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2015, 10:16:05 AM »
In ten years I don't expect portables to exist, and I'd expect a digital wireless standard for microphones to collapse both pro and consumer markets together.
I am curious to know how you imagine the chain then from the digital microphone to the file (I suppose) ? Direct from a wifi enabled mic to something like a tablet ?
If this was today, I imagine the nightmare a "Phish like" concert might be for tapers and sound people alike all fighting for frequencies... But technology has not yet said its last word I guess.

Offline jcb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2015, 01:48:53 PM »
With today's easily available technology one could imagine the following chain to make the future almost present :
- a pair of mics (your choice)
- cables as needed
- Sound Devices MixPre-D - XLR in - USB out (would this be a new life for  a preamp+DAC package ?)
- Raspberry Pi running usbip (give access to the Pi's USB ports from the network) - USB in - USB wifi dongle out
- possibly a wifi router
- tablet or computer running something like audacity or whatever else
- batteries or power sockets as needed...
Neither very highly integrated, nor easy to set up and use but it should work !

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 03:37:32 PM »
I know we are still way off topic, but I have to chime in with my reason for using outboard preamps. Ultimately it comes down to functionality for me, regardless of quality difference. I always make better recordings using outboard preamps than not.

Early in my concert taping career I ran a multi-mic rig with a mixer during a time when almost nobody used anything between mics and recorder, except battery phantom boxes that guys running condensers had. Back then I discovered a huge value being able to harness the signal ahead of the recorder. I liked how the sensitivity of the gain pot on the recorder was eased by taking line-in.

Every portable recorder I have ever owned since, cassette, DAT, solid state, has had an input gain sweet spot range where the deck performed best. For myself, I have been unable to find a better way to keep the level of the signal to the recorder's line-in within that range than using an outboard preamp. For this reason I expect I will always use outboard preamps.....
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com